Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a situation with a family member ownership has now been given to me of a 1 yr old female. Her previous owner didnt due any socialization work with her and when i talk her out for walks she is very reactive towards other people, dogs and cars. She starts barking and lunging towards them when she sees them. According to her previous owner she was fine around other dogs at the dog park when she was off the leash. How do I go about socializing a 1 year old doberman who is very reactive?

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
First, I would really recommend getting a good trainer who understands reactivity. You need to think less about "socializing" than you do about slowly acclimating her and about building positive associations to the world. You always want to work "under her threshold." That means that you need to be far enough away from the things that cause her anxiety that she can be relaxed, and simply feed her things that are yummy and high value, so that she learns that when the "trigger" (scary thing) is present, it means good things happen.

I highly recommend the Eileen and Dogs blog. https://eileenanddogs.com/desensitization-counterconditioning-resources/

You can put "reactivity" in the search bar and find SO MANY great resources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts