Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I wish i could walk around naked

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old dobie was playing with my other dog. Heard him cry a little and when I arrived on scene his upper right canine was chipped and bleeding a bit. The first picture shows the tip of the canine chipped and the second one shows the slight brownish discoloration and a small hole on the bottom of the tooth. Any knowledge in this area would be nice. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yes, go see a vet or even better a vet who specializes in dental work. His root might have to be removed to avoid pain and infection. If this is not dealt with you will be looking at sudden behavior problems (snapping at people from the pain, head shy, unwilling to eat,), weight loss, and tooth/gum infection. It looks ouchy, poor pup :(

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
that is a nasty injury to the canine. I would be worried about it abscessing.

Your Vet needs to take a look at that.

Hugz to Duke!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,066 Posts
My last girl broke one of her canines. The vet tried to simply cap the tooth at first, but the cap didn't hold and she ended up with a root canal.

I remember it being rather expensive; the vet said the equipment he used to do the root canal was somewhat specialized, because the root of a canine tooth is very long--you can't just use people dental equipment.

Of course, that vet is expensive anyway......but I like him.

Anyway, the dog had the root canal at about 20 months old, and never had another problem with the tooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
****update****

I took the advice and went to see a vet dentist. They told me he needs a root canal and a crown. Total $2800 for both. I was wondering if a root canal would be enough for duke without sacrificing strength and durability? Not sure if they are trying to milk me for money. Root canal $1600 Crown $1200. I also attached a pic of duke being sad :(

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts