Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting so friggen frustrated with the moronic people in my neighborhood. in particular, this young asian boy and his mother who have 4 dog, yes 4 dogs, and have no clue how to control them.I have been making HUGE progress with king, but it seems that as soon as i make one step forward, something happens and brings us two steps back.

So last week, when i was taking king for a walk, i walk arounrd the corner and these people with the 4 dogs have only one of them on the leash, and 3 of them running around. Ofcourse, i try and turn around to avoid the situation all together. All of a sudden of of their dogs b lines it for king and starts trying to bite him. So king is going nuts trying to get at this dog, im kicking my leg out trying to keep them a safe distance apart while the dipshit owner is whining like a baby for his dog to come back. So i yell at him to grab his f'ing dog before something happens. Finally i manage to scare it away and keep walking. End of story.

So, 10 min ago, i decide to take king for a walk. This time i look out the window and see no one there. I walk down the stair, out the door, up the stairs and what do i see?? these same people with their 4 out of control dog. Atleast this time they were all on leashes...not like it mattered though. This kid obviously wasnt holding onto the leash strong enough and their little Basenji comes booking it towards king. Im like, "Oh god, here we go again". Again, the dog tries attacking king, i have to hold him back and put my leg out there for him to bite at that and not king. I yell for him to control his dog, he grabs the leash and we walk away.

Now king has been having nighmares where he whines and growls lately. i wouldnt be suprised if it has to do with the first incident. Im gong to talk to the managers and see if they can give them a warning or something. Im so sick of this. I know my dog can be dog agressive, so he stays on a leash, and i put my hand through the hoop and grab the strap to make sure that leash is not coming loose. I dont know, it just pisses me off that people have dogs and repeatedly do stuff like this.

anyway, that is my rant.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hey I do not blame you for needing to vent!! You go ahead and let off all the steam that you need too!! As for people like them.. If it happens again, in a loud clear voice so that everyone can hear you from here to hell and back " You need to back you dog off! If your dog comes at me or my dog again, I will protect myself and my dog from your dog! Back your dog off now!" I had the same thing happen to me with a guy walking his pit (not on a leash) and the pit charged me and Gypsy! Now Gypsy can be NOt other dog friendly and can do some serious damage! I warn him to back his dog off twice and turned Gypsy away from the dog and put myself between them.. He did get his dog just in time!!! I talked to the police and my lawyer about it and what if my dog had bitten him or his dog and they said as long as I warned him to back off and tried to only protect myself or my dog we would have been fine..
I would suggest that you get a BIG walking stick also to start taking with you from now on also..

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
How frustrating for you Tom! I can feel your pain. I know that after our "jogger incident" last week I was pretty miffed. Here we are doing everything we possibly can to train our animals to be decent members of society and have to deal with all the idiots that sabotage our efforts. I'm with frzbns, get a BIG stick! It's not their dogs fault that they haven't been trained properly but when it comes down to it, it's not your job to do it. You need to have your and King's safety in mind.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
TracyJo said:
How frustrating for you Tom! I can feel your pain. I know that after our "jogger incident" last week I was pretty miffed. Here we are doing everything we possibly can to train our animals to be decent members of society and have to deal with all the idiots that sabotage our efforts. I'm with frzbns, get a BIG stick! It's not their dogs fault that they haven't been trained properly but when it comes down to it, it's not your job to do it. You need to have your and King's safety in mind.
Amen!!! You have to think about YOUR SAFETY!! We should all be walking with some sort of a walking stick if you are by yourself and just one dog. Protect yourself! I also have a whistle on my keys. Now the dogs do not mind it when I blow it, but it can scare other dogs pretty bad! Again be carefull

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this Tom. I know you have been working so hard with King and your self. I agree keep a walking stick, or something that makes a loud noise. Get King use to the noise and take it with you.

When we take Gracie out for a walk, we keep chains in our pockets, They aren't even a foot long. So if another dog approches us. We throw the chain down on the ground. The noise it makes will stop any dog in their tracks. So far we haven't had to use it. We don't throw it at the dog in any way, just so that all or both dogs can hear it and back off.

Gracie is very dog friendly which can also be a problem. If she seen another dog she would want to play with it. She believe that other dogs were put here to play with her. Thankfully in my town all dogs must be on a lead or you get a pretty big fine. Last I heard was a 500$ fine for walking a dog without a lead. That is a pretty big payment in my book. So also check into your laws in your area and see if they have a law like that. If so next time call the cops. :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You know the chain idea is really good. I don't have any chains around but I think I might start carrying a can full of change. We have so many strays on this island, it's really very sad. Most of them on base are dumped by their owners who don't want to pay the $$$ to ship them back to the States. It's now mandatory to micro-chip pets here on base, I'm hoping that will help alleviate some of the problem.. At any rate, it's difficult to chase them off when I'm walking the dogs... Generally, I do what I can to chase them off, bring my dogs home and get in the car to try to find them and at least try to get them to the stray facility on base....

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Man that sucks - I agree with the others you need to carry a stick or something to divert the attention of the other dogs while walking.

If I were you I would buy a small can of pepper spray. You can keep a safe distance from the dog and still get the desired results without physically having to touch the dog.

TD

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
What a pain Tom.... I would definetely report them.. I mean they are a danger to you, but also other people being that they don't have control of their dogs...

Good idea to carry something with you too.... It's just a shame that you have to do that too. But you and King need to come first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts