Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we're almost there with Kilo's ear postings. Problem is that he has 1 ear which is standing with no problem and the other ear is folded down. The funny thing is that he can make both stand if he wants to such as if something catches his attention or if we are playing with him. My wife feels that there is no point to keep posting his ears and just accept the fact that his ears will have a mind of their own. Should I keep posting? The last posting that I did a few days ago seemed to eliminate the pocket problem (I stuffed cotton near the spot where the pocket was). I plan to re-post today as the posts have been out 2 days due to Kilo somehow ripping them out overnight. Has anyone else had this problem with the 1 up 1 down thing and is it something that can be easily fixed? Also can someone explain why he can make both stand on his own when he wants? He is almost 7mos old.

Thanks

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd keep posting for awhile, 7 months is much too soon to give up. I've known dogs who had to be posted for up to a year before both ears stood.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Certainly keep posting. I understand it is frustrating to have to do for so long, but you are making progress. It is all worth it in the end - really! :) Your boy will have beautiful ears that you can be really proud of.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 14 week old boy has had his ears untaped for about a week now, and at first the left one would hang to the side, and the right one was fine, the breeder said to leave them untaped for a few days to see if he will start to use them, and sure enough, the left one has been getting better and standing on its own. Now both his ear are the same. My breeder told me it is a mental thing, that their ears will stand when they know how to use them, and get used to them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ReDobie4Kev said:
My 14 week old boy has had his ears untaped for about a week now, and at first the left one would hang to the side, and the right one was fine, the breeder said to leave them untaped for a few days to see if he will start to use them, and sure enough, the left one has been getting better and standing on its own. Now both his ear are the same. My breeder told me it is a mental thing, that their ears will stand when they know how to use them, and get used to them.
So should I leave them untaped for a few more days?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't think his ears are anywhere near done. Keep posting, why would you give up now after all your hard work? I would not leave them done for so long between postings. Clean them, let them use them for an hour or two and then right back up in posts. Don't leave them down for days, I don't think there ready for that yet. And maybe this is what has been the problem, leaving them without support???

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
jeromejenkins said:
So should I leave them untaped for a few more days?
No! Keep posting!! He is young and if you have put that much effort into getting nice ears - don't give up before they are done.

The rule of thumb I have heard is that for every day an ear hangs, it will take an extra weeK of posting.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If one of his ears stands, this tells you you are making progress. The posting is working.

Keep posting, longer than you think is necessary. You'll thank yourself down the road.

I posted Mensa's ears for six and a half months, and after about five months or so I was beginning to think they would never stand. But I have a stubborn streak, so post we did. I'm happy I didn't give up.

It will work, keep up the good work and you will be surprised.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yes, keep posting. You are on your way and it would be a shame to give up before all your hard work is properly rewarded.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yes, you have done all this work so far....what is a little more compared to all the years you will have this guy? Keep it up :D

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It does sound like you have been leaving them down too long before reposting. That makes it take soooo much longer before they stand. Do not give up.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Keep posting. It will pay off in the end. I agree with Okie-dobie. You dont want to keep them down that long in between postings. While we were doing Jada's we would take the post down in the morning give her a break for a couple of hours and then put them back up. It can also help you and the dog when you break it up as far as taking it down and reposting. Two short episodes versus one longer one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the average amount of time that everyone leaves the posts up? We have been doing 5 days up, 1-2days down. We just reposted about an hour ago.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Well good for you that you guys that you are going to continue posting. I would leave *******'s posts up for about 4-5 days. But if they would start to lean, I would take them down and repost. I watched them very closely. I never had a problem with pockets, make sure you are streching the ear up before taping.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa's schedule went like this:

5 days up

5 minutes down (just long enough to re-post)

We did this for 6 1/2 months, but she looks like a million bucks now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish we could do 5 days up and 5mins down but usually by about the 5th day, he has ripped out the posts overnight and we have no time in the morning to post. He's only done this twice, most recent being 3 days ago. As for the pockets, I took the advice of placing cotton balls behind the post where the pocket is forming and this seems to be fixing the problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Harley does SAME EXACT THING as this sometimes! We've had him for 5.5 months now (rescued him when he was 8 mos. old) and he has done the "1 ear up, 1 ear down" thing about a dozen times in that time frame. He'll go weeks without doing it, and then he'll do it twice in one day, usually after waking up from a nap. Once he gets moving around, the ear will stand up again. We've been trying to figure out if it is voluntary or involuntary. In my own mind, I likened it to when an arm or leg "falls asleep" and we kind of need to warm up before it goes away. I could be completely wrong in this assessment, but that's how it appeared to me through the eyes of an amateur first-time Dobe owner.

So what is the cause of this? Does it happen because his previous owner didn't properly post his ears? And if so, why does it happen so infrequently? As I mentioned, he'll go a few weeks in between occurrences, and then he'll do a few in a day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts