Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy will soon be 8 months old. She has 1 baby tooth, her front right canine tooth, that has yet to dislodge itself from her mouth. All of her other teeth have gone and the adult teeth have come in beautifully. Her left canine came out about 1 month or more ago. But this last one is hanging on for dear life with no signs of budging. It's not even the slightest bit loose. What is the usual length of time for baby teeth to fall out? Is this abnormal....at least to the point that her vet needs to look at it and possibly have it removed? Does it even need to be removed? It looks to me like the baby tooth is stopping the adult tooth from fully coming in. Any information anyone can offer would be helpful. Pictures below to show left side and right side.

Also, I think about 2 weeks ago she got stung by a bee on her ear leather. We were playing in the backyard and she was running a ball back to me when she abruptly stopped and started going crazy trying to get at her left side. I thought "did something sting her or bite her?" Then she went back to normal. (Side note: Her ears were not posted at the time because she was going to get a bath that night, so her ear leather was fully exposed.) So not thinking anything of it her ears were posted until a few days later when I went to change them I noticed a lump about the size of an almond and some light bruising around the edge on her ear. Not knowing what it was at first I cleaned it up, put antibiotic ointment on it and left it to air out for a little bit. A little while later it dawned on me that it could have been a bee sting. So I started to apply hydrocortisone and giving her a benadryl. Slowly the lump started to recede but the bruising got worse and worse. Her vet couldn't get her in at all but since it did start to go down I just chalked it up to a sting and continued to work hydrocortisone into it. As of today the lump has 95% receded but the bruising remains. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing with stings, mainly the bruising, and if so how long did it take for the bruising to go away? Again, pictures below.

Thanks to anyone that responds. Andrew
Jaw Knee Finger Foot Nail

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Jaw Gesture Finger Nail Wrinkle

Eye Dog Felidae Carnivore Dog breed

Hand Grass Fawn Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girl had that same thing, the little extra tooth, and it came out on its own. I also gave her a knuckle bone to chew on, advice from my vet and hopefully soon to be handler, and if also helped loosened it. The next thing I knew, it was gone.
Thats a great idea. What kind of knuckle bone did you use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any kind of a knuckle bone will work, or if you can find them a patella--and having a retained baby tooth next to an upper canine incisor isn't at all unusual. I've never had to have one pulled--they've always eventually come out by themselves. What happens is the baby canine incisors (which are always the last teeth to come in--those and the molars but the molars aren't replacing any baby teeth so nothing gets stuck) and for a tooth to come out the root on the baby tooth has to be absorbed.

I'd just give her something to chew on or a friend of mine plays tug when one of his dogs has a baby canine incisor that hasn't let go yet--either seems to work.

It doesn't look like the baby tooth has displaced the permanent tooth. If and when you can get an appointment you might want to have your vet take a look but realistically even though many of the smaller breeds do end up having to have baby teeth removed it rarely happens with the bigger breeds.

And the bruising on the ear will probably take weeks, rather than just days to fade--since is cause by blood from the bee sting. But if there is any sign of infection then your vet needs to take a look--but if the swelling is nearly gone and it's just the bruising that's still present that should probably go away on it's own.

dobebug
Should they be raw knuckle bones or the pet store bought ones that are cooked or smoked?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DOE, I got our Neo's last canine baby tooth out playing tug of war with a foam pitch ring (his fave ttoy).
Our female would never play tug, at drop of the hat, like our males will. You have to ramp them up in slowly in excitement level...

How about some more Daisy pics, but some outside her ears and mouth? 😁

Neo back in mid June, had something going on on top of his nose, hair loss and what looked like a rash.
After a week we saw a circular, inflamed area on middle of nose, near rash which got more swollen, w/ hair loss. Neo never scratched it. We first thought it could be ringworm, but vet said it wasn't.
Vet and I couldn't figure out if it was a spider, wasp bite or maybe a palm needle puncture? She prescribed regime of antibiotics and also topical a/b ointment applied 2x/day.
This area began to flatten out but too forever more than 2-months to start healing completely and filling back in with hair. I've always been amazed at how fast young Dobes heal from cuts & scrapes and even surgical scars, but this one was different. I think it was some kind of toxic bite, maybe a spider due to the length of healing.

Neo's Nose Swollen Inflammation- Late May - (just before A/B treatment- Vet said inflammation was deep)
View attachment 149860

Mid June - On AntiBiotics for 2-Weeks - Flattened out but no hair
View attachment 149859

Neo's Nose (today) - Hair Starting to Fill In- Very Slowly

View attachment 149861
Sorry for the delay! Been really busy lately. But here is a collection of pictures over the last month or two. I'm still posting her ears. They're firming some but there is still floppiness in them. The pictures where her ears are up are right after posts were taken down. But not long after they're down one or both will flop, as seen in the one picture. Enjoy!
Dog Dog breed Comfort Carnivore Grey

People in nature Plant Tree Grass Grassland

Plant Dog People in nature Tree Grass

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Grass

Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore Working animal

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Gesture Fawn
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Ear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts