Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sayainprince7991
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just wanted to provide you all with an update on Beric!

I brought him on Oct 1st and its been about 1.5 months since and he's definitely been a handful!!

He's got so many wonderful qualities - he's super smart, already knows his "sit", "down", "stay", "heel", "spin" and "go to your room" - His recall off leash is getting a lot better as well and he's usually pretty well behaved when meeting new people - dogs ehh not so much ha!

He's also fully crate and house trained already - which is awesome!!

Some of the challenges we've been having our surrounding his nipping and biting. He doesn't ever nip or bite me but he is ALWAYS going after my gf(we all live together). She is usually so busy during the day that she doesn't get to train him or bond with him much until the evening. He is usually in his hyper phase at that point and just goes after her. We've tried everything we can think of including redirecting him and it usually works initially but he goes right back to nipping at her when she tries to sit back down. We've been reading through some of the discussions on this forum regarding this subject and we think we'll try putting him in time out for a minute or 2 if he gets really bad and see if that makes a difference. The good thing is we understand he'll eventually grow out of it but boy have we had some rough nights lol

Anyway, I added some pictures of him - these are very recent. He's about 17 and a half weeks old!

Hope you all enjoy! And Please also let me know what you think about his ears! We will keep posting until he's done(which could be a few more months or more) but just want to get an idea on how his ears are looking from the perspective of experts!

Thank you,
Sim

Attachments

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
416 Posts
Such a cutie! And I want to say that I love that chair!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Cute little sharky.
GF will need to become very strict with your pup.
Does pup bite on her fingers/hands only.
Or is he nipping her legs etc. ?

·
sayainprince7991
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cute little sharky.
GF will need to become very strict with your pup.
Does pup bite on her fingers/hands only.
Or is he nipping her legs etc. ?
Yes! she's too sweet with him maybe lol but she gets frustrated when he starts to bite and she cant redirect him or anything. If she tries to be strict, it only makes him bite more. He's biting her anywhere he can, feet, legs, hands, arms, you name it

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
IF IT WERE ME:
I would keep my pup on a collar and leash at all times.
6 foot lead.
The only way to break this habit/game is to prevent it from ever happening again.
You may say...WHAT....on a leash at all times.
Yep.
Except when sleeping.
Yup!
All times.
So picture if you will GF now gets up off the couch.
Yup.
Pup is on a lead and gonna be staying with you.
Human not gonna let it happen Again.
We are human....and we know its going to happen.
At this age anything you do not like .......
Prevention is the key.
If you can prevent it from happening as they mature it can become less of a habit.
Also it might be to big of an expectation for pup to know at this age This is unacceptable behavior.
Especially if pup is getting a reaction When issuing the nip.
Pups play this way. Running , rolling, and nipping at one another.
They quickly learn from their littermates when playing to rough.
I am sure other will have mores ideas for you in this area.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
^^ I agree, completely. Leash corrections are fantastic. Tether training is fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,148 Posts
He is very nice looking :)

His ears are a good shape and your taping job looks good, but they are tipping in a bit. I would not use a bridge anymore (you may be pulling it too tight), and I would add a bumper to each post to keep them from slanting inward—after you finish taping his ears and let them go, they should fall into a 10 and 2 or 11 and 1 position, like this \_/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts