Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Dogs Name: Kelly
Titles: CD Obedience & Therapy
Dogs Age: puppy
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit Beaumont67's Gallery
Thanked 26,952 Times in 9,696 Posts
I train my pups (had girls, since 1977) all off-leash with zero treats...I want 100% recall, living on a busy Hwy.
- I've retrained treated dogs before, that are not reliable / from other local Pet training schools
Since our pups are 10 weeks old, they get to help mom take one of Dads old socks, out of the dryer & deliver it back to the bed room.
- our Dobes bed is a Leather sectional (during the day) & in the Master bed at night
I train with Voice Pitch (from baby soft to Loud) / Hand Signals / Whistle recall sometimes, if I'm hiding / and establishing a Strong Bond.
- even in bed, I will rub dogs tail nub (relaxing her) & belly very soft rubs...till Dad falls asleep
- recall is all about Bond, Love & Respect...in your Leadership
^^ When lacking some, perfect recall is Fruitless to expect @ a young age.
- and our former Amy, was fully OB trained @ 6 months young, via city street walking off-leash...but she had the desire to please, on Day3 home with us
- all pups are different
Our current dog, was a most Stubborn girl, with insane Red Zone Prey Drive...from 10 weeks old.
- she was the real challenge, for me // and humbled Dad, many times
- getting through her Frenzy state with hackles up and K9 teeth mouth Frothing ...as a pup
- even riding in my truck, she would attack the side window...seeing a new mom pushing a baby carriage...just insane, early on
Now all is very well here - every time we went outside on the front porch / she got neck scratches, hand massages, inside ear rubs, etc. // soon I was training her to Recall, as she returned to lap up my hand & voice attention...even without dog knowing, an
Organic Training secession was in progress.
- our Bond became bullet proof // and now I can call her easily off, a skunk / bunny / squirrel / etc....just several yards away
- right in her tracks, If I order her to STOP...she gets it now
- she is not afraid, if I have to yell like a Drill Sargent...when the last skunk was under our bird feeder, in the black of night...had to avoid than spray encounter, real quick
- I taught her that we both respect each other // and If Dad is yelling, obviously her Safety is in Danger
- so this style of Co-Dependence, get the win-win here...and the rest, finally became easy
- I have always trained, for a mild form of Separation Anxiety (SA)....non destructive, of coarse & I become critical worthy enough in dogs life, to please their Master
------------Kelly & (Amy - RIP @ 11.7 y/o)
Last edited by Beaumont67; 05-28-2020 at 11:08 AM.