Join Date: Jul 2014
Dogs Name: Vanya (Miniature Pinscher), Nadia (Doberman Pinscher)
Titles: SD CSAU ATT IBAR SPOT CGN WAC BH BSA G1a
Dogs Age: 17/03/09, 26/02/15
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit Artemis's Gallery
Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,229 Posts
Every breeder works a little differently.
However at the very bare bones minimum, you should expect to sign a sales agreement/contract (if you didn't already prior) and get one copy to keep and one copy for the breeder. Both copies should be signed by both parties.
The more diligent breeders, like MC's will also provide photocopies of health testing certificates and reports from both parents, photocopies of the registration papers and the pedigrees.
In Canada you do not typically get the reg papers of the puppy right away as the buyer will asked to be signed a non-breeding agreement form which has to be completed at time of purchase/pickup and which the breeder then sends to the CKC and eventually will forward the reg papers. Some breeders will also have it stated in their contract that they will hang on to the reg papers until they get proof the pup has been spayed/neutered.
The transfer of ownership, registration, associated costs etc. is all the breeder's responsibility in CKC.
My understanding is that with AKC the breeder is not obligated to complete that form, and the breeder should be providing it to the new owner if they aren't doing it themselves.
Personally per my contract I will always provide my puppy owners with:
- signed contract
- copies of the parents health test results and certificates
- copies of the parents titles
- copies of the parents pedigrees
- the puppy's individual health booklet with vaccination and deworming info along with proof and date of microchip implanting
- non-breeding agreement form
In addition to this I will also provide
- puppy care sheet
- Embark test results if they arrive on time (if not they will be forwarded by email)
- information on health insurance (all pups will be on a complimentary short term health insurance that the owners can choose to activate and pursue or not).
- Ian Dunbar's Before and After getting your puppy
- Sophia Yin's Perfect Puppy in 7 days
- a puppy package with a bag of food, toys, a leash, collar, a tug for training, blanket... maybe some clickers or anything else I can think of.
And that's what I can think of, off the top of my head.
I'm no longer trembling
Here I am
I've come so far
You are the answer I've waited for
All of my life