Okay so I have a few more questions... this may get to be a long post, so bare with me. Hopefully this will be the last "what do I need" post... "Hopefully", lol.
Ace comes home on the 15th, and we need to be prepared as much as we can! House is already puppy proofed as best as we can.
I have a training question, but I will start with what supplies should I have on hand? Supplies/Items I Already Have:
Supplies I Plan To Order Soon:
- Puppy Harness
- Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool with 6 extra sanding bands
- 2 17-cup stainless steel water bowls
- Backseat Car Seat Cover
- 2 Large Slow Feed Food Bowls
- 1/2in by 6ft Braided Leash
- Rubber Chew Toys: a tire, a goodie bone, a hole-y ball, a Dogwood chew toy, goDog furballz, Kong Safestix, and some other chew toys.
- Pet Waste Bags with Bag Holder
- 100 puppy wipes
- Styptic Powder
- Two fleece blankets, one small, one large
- Pee Pads
- 42x28 Crate
- 2 Primo Pads with tie downs
- XL Dog Bed
- Caldesene Powder
- Zonas Porous Tape
- 5/8 x 20ft Backer Rod (Or should I get 1/2in while he is small? Using the Zephyr Posting Method on this forum)
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Pet Safe Syringe
- Sulfodene Wound Care Ointment
- Pet First Aid Kit
- Inflatable Collar (recommended by breeder for after ear cropping)
- Pet Food Mat (to stop the bowls from sliding all over the kitchen until he we can build his feeder stand)
- Himalayan Yak Snack Dog Chews
- BLUE Bones Puppy Regular Dental Chews
- Get Naked Grain Free Puppy Health Dental Chews
- STAT! Spray Pet Wood & SKin Care with enhanced Hydrogel
- a few more chew toys that can be left at the shop where he will be spending his days with my boyfriend at work
Is there anything else supply wise I should get? Anything on my list you notice that maybe I shouldn't get?
Can anyone recommend chew sticks safe for a young puppy? Are Bully Sticks okay at this age?
Can you all recommend any medications safe for dogs that I can get to add to my Pet First Aid Kit?
Also, Zephyrs method is what I plan on using, but will the 5/8 be too big for his puppy ears? I know her dog Liberty was much older than our pup will be when he starts posting, and I am nervous of course.
What do I clean the ears out with? Just a damp papertowel? All the more ear posting advice based on Zephyr's ear posting method is welcome! I will be re-reading that thread again also. Training question
Okay so I plan on taking our pup to Puppy Starter Classes at 12wks old (thats when his second set of shots are done, which is required by the Academy), and we know how to train/teach most commands. I use hand signals AND voice commands, and train both at the same time. I have never trained Place or Leave It, so that will be good to learn at the Academy also.
However, there is one training that my Boyfriend and I BOTH realized we are behind the times on. Puppy Potty training!!! Our last few dogs have already come to us potty trained, so its been a looonnnggggg time, and I don't think the ole nose in the pee than taken outside will be the right way for a Doberman?
Can anyone send me links, or give me advice on how to correctly potty train? I don't want to use Pee Pads if we don't have to, and we would like him to do his business behind the house in the woods. Definitely will need all the advice we can get here.
Also, if I haven't mentioned anything else in this thread or other threads that you think I need to be aware of with a new, young puppy, please do not hesitate to share! All advice is welcome!
Thank you guys so much for being SOOOOO beyond helpful for this worry wart of a new mom!