10 month old puppy stopped growing - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Puppy Corner Everything Puppy related goes here

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
10 month old puppy stopped growing

Hello DobermanTalk users, I would like some insight/advice on the current situation of my 10 month old male dobie pup.
Harvey turns 11 month old on April 10th, and we have noticed a slow in his growth for quite a while now. He is 70 lbs, which is pretty heavy but compared to other dobies his age it seems as if he's underweight. Mind you, his father was 120 lb (but he was a little chubby) and his other a good 90 lb at least.
Harvey is very very fit, his back legs have lots of muscle (and i mean a LOT). He has a visible tuck to his stomach and his ribs show. If you were to view him from a bird's eye point of view, his waist is obviously skinnier than his ribs and has almost an hourglass shape (although not so extreme). The only part where he is muscly is on his back legs. His shoulders, ribs, and chest is mostly skin.
His diet is a very high quality kibble, no fillers (we would like to feed raw but do not have the space currently) and his coat is always gleaming. He is a very tall boy, too, like a lanky teenager. We know that he would stretch out but now it seems that this is the weight he is staying at. I have begun to feed 1-2 cups more than usual each day but have noticed no change.
Harvey's daily exercise regime usually consists of a 40 minute walk in the morning or 30 minutes of fetch with a chuck it ball. He used to sleep until 12 pm after his morning walk but have recently stopped and would seem restless until we take him for his afternoon walk (could this have something to do with the fact that he's not yet neutered?) Anyways, if we didn't play ball in the morning, we'd play in the afternoon, then go for a one hour walk/run with some obedience training. Then finally when we come home from the second walk he would usually sleep. When he plays ball, he plays hard. Just wondering if playing fetch is a factor in his growth stop because his jumping and sudden braking may be damaging to his joints.
Overall he is a healthy boy, we take him in for a check usually once a month in case anything pops up. He has continually struggled with soft stool, but inconsistently; sometimes the stool is very nice but sometimes it is very soft. So i guess what i am asking here is that is it normal for a 10 month old male dobie to stop growing at this weight? I feel he matures slowly, both mentally and physically. He still has his puppy looks and antics, could i just have a late bloomer? I have read the sticky about fast growth in large breeds and feel a little better, but at the same time i am afraid i am doing something wrong. Is it too much exercise? He loves to play fetch and can do it for hours if we let him, but we limit it to a maximum of 30-40 minutes. We want to neuter him but we also want him to grow a little bulkier. He has a retracted testicle that could become cancerous if left in the body. We think maybe we'll do it when he's 1.5-2 years old. If you have experienced this with your pups or any experience at all, we look forward to your reply
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 PM
Alpha
 
Patches Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,031
Dogs Name: Buddy & (Patches the Doxie RIP 2016)
Titles: Buddy CGC
Dogs Age: Buddy Doberman 10 years Old
Gallery Pics: 10
Visit Patches Mom's Gallery
Thanks: 2,496
Thanked 6,763 Times in 3,897 Posts
Images: 10
                     
Click here to find out how Patches Mom became a supporter
Doberman's have growth spurts they do not grow all the time I would stop feeding him the extra food over feeding is not going to make him grow more. Most likely that is what is causing his soft poops just feed him normal for his age does the vet think he is under weight ?He will grow at a slower rate they do not get filled out until the age of 2 or 3 years old.What doe the vet say about leaving his retracted testicle in for so long usually they want to remove them before they get too old.
Pups,young dog should not have any forced exercise until after they are about 18 months old when their growth plates close. Forced exercise is when you have them run with you,use roller blades or riding a bicycle with them. play fetch with them being loose they can stop when they want too. Dogs are stoic they do not show duress if you go they will go with you as long as you go. In my opinion the more exercise you give them the more they will want you can tire them out by making them use their brains obedience, training tricks.
Good Luck with your pup.
Patches Mom is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patches Mom For This Useful Post:
kmbeach22 (03-27-2016), LindaH (03-26-2016), melbrod (03-24-2016), Rosemary (03-25-2016)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 23,152
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 73,749
Thanked 61,781 Times in 18,920 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
His father and mother were both oversized, if the numbers you state are correct. Your boy is within the doberman standard now. You shouldn’t expect a fully mature male dobe to be any more than 85-90 pounds. He sounds a good weight now for his age (and some male dobes will stay at that weight--that’s OK) but he should continue to add weight and muscle mass (but generally not height) until he is two or even three years old.

Can you see ALL of his ribs easily when he is just standing still? Do you see his backbone or hip bones sticking out? Those could be signs he needs more food for his activity level--but if he just looks like a teenager...well, that is what he is.

The key to exercise at this age is that you shouldn’t be asking him to do anything repetitively (like jogging or biking as an only form of exercise) and also you shouldn’t be asking for a lot of jumping or sudden turning and twisting (which fetch can be, if you’re not careful) He should be able to stop exercising when he wants to and smell the roses, so to speak (he will try to keep up with you if you are jogging or biking, for example, so you can push him too hard without realizing it). Some dogs will obsess on fetching too (my boy is obsessed with tennis balls) and can overdo it that way.

Don’t try to pack weight on him by overfeeding--that will just make for a fat dog with joint problems. He will grow to the size he is meant to, with good food and proper exercise. You should be able to see his last few ribs when he is standing still, and easily feel his other ribs, when he is at a proper weight.
melbrod is offline  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (03-25-2016), GRAYGHOST (03-27-2016), greenkouki (03-25-2016), kmbeach22 (03-27-2016), leothedobermann (03-27-2016), LindaH (03-26-2016), numby (03-26-2016), Rosemary (03-25-2016), SieYa (03-25-2016)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Alpha
 
bigfootlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,996
Location: Alaska
Titles: AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy
Dogs Age: d.o.b 03/09/2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit bigfootlives's Gallery
Thanks: 6,766
Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,420 Posts
                     
You're being impatient and have a lot of false information. My boy didn't reach his adult size until 20 months old. He gained 10 pounds a month until 6 months old then packed the last 10 on incredibly slowely. He is 72 pounds and smack dab in the middle of standard for height.

Feeding more food isn't going to make him grow faster - it is going to make him fat. That is also probably why his poop is soft, over feeding. His parents where grossly oversized. You should be thankful if he never reaches that weight! He will grow at the rate he is going to grow and you cannot change that

Just feed him normal amounts of food and he will grow however big he will grow.

"stay hungry, stay foolish."
bigfootlives is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigfootlives For This Useful Post:
alan j. (03-25-2016), Beaumont67 (03-25-2016), dobebug (03-25-2016), greenkouki (03-25-2016), LindaH (03-26-2016), numby (03-26-2016), Rosemary (03-25-2016)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Samrii
 
samrii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Nebraska
Dogs Name: Ari Adino
Titles: not yet
Dogs Age: 7 Months
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit samrii's Gallery
Thanks: 12
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Images: 9
 
It's so good that you care enough to seek good counsel on these issues. Make sure you have a good vet and don't hesitate to get second opinions from other respected vets in your community. What one good vet might miss another good vet should catch. On the food, I agree, whenever I see soft stools I always look at the amount I'm feeding. Almost always diarrhea is do to overfeeding. We purposefully try to keep our boy a little thin because weight is such an issue on those baby bones. Don't worry to much you obviously care, just try to make decisions from an informed position and you'll likely have a happy healthy dog, and if you don't have a happy healthy dog you'll know why.

I just noticed, No pics! we need pictures of this beautiful boy!

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Last edited by samrii; 03-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.
samrii is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samrii For This Useful Post:
Darkevs (03-25-2016), HarveyTheDobe (03-25-2016), LindaH (03-26-2016), melbrod (03-25-2016)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootlives View Post
You're being impatient and have a lot of false information. My boy didn't reach his adult size until 20 months old. He gained 10 pounds a month until 6 months old then packed the last 10 on incredibly slowely. He is 72 pounds and smack dab in the middle of standard for height.

Feeding more food isn't going to make him grow faster - it is going to make him fat. That is also probably why his poop is soft, over feeding. His parents where grossly oversized. You should be thankful if he never reaches that weight! He will grow at the rate he is going to grow and you cannot change that

Just feed him normal amounts of food and he will grow however big he will grow.
We are not being impatient, i don't want anyone to mistaken us as owners who want a ginormous dog in a short period of time. His poops have always been soft. At first, we suspected that he may had some sort of parasite, causing his growth to stop and makes his stools runny. All we wanted to know is if this is normal and we have our answer, thanks to all those that helped
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HarveyTheDobe For This Useful Post:
melbrod (03-26-2016)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by samrii View Post
It's so good that you care enough to seek good counsel on these issues. Make sure you have a good vet and don't hesitate to get second opinions from other respected vets in your community. What one good vet might miss another good vet should catch. On the food, I agree, whenever I see soft stools I always look at the amount I'm feeding. Almost always diarrhea is do to overfeeding. We purposefully try to keep our boy a little thin because weight is such an issue on those baby bones. Don't worry to much you obviously care, just try to make decisions from an informed position and you'll likely have a happy healthy dog, and if you don't have a happy healthy dog you'll know why.

I just noticed, No pics! we need pictures of this beautiful boy!
Thank you, his IG is @harveythedoberman if you want to see pictures, i don't know how DobermanTalk works haha. He's always had soft stool, and after many (useless) trips to the vet we just accepted our fate. We feed him more now but his stool doesn't change, still differs in consistency each time. Always a surprise lol
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrod View Post
His father and mother were both oversized, if the numbers you state are correct. Your boy is within the doberman standard now. You shouldn’t expect a fully mature male dobe to be any more than 85-90 pounds. He sounds a good weight now for his age (and some male dobes will stay at that weight--that’s OK) but he should continue to add weight and muscle mass (but generally not height) until he is two or even three years old.

Can you see ALL of his ribs easily when he is just standing still? Do you see his backbone or hip bones sticking out? Those could be signs he needs more food for his activity level--but if he just looks like a teenager...well, that is what he is.

The key to exercise at this age is that you shouldn’t be asking him to do anything repetitively (like jogging or biking as an only form of exercise) and also you shouldn’t be asking for a lot of jumping or sudden turning and twisting (which fetch can be, if you’re not careful) He should be able to stop exercising when he wants to and smell the roses, so to speak (he will try to keep up with you if you are jogging or biking, for example, so you can push him too hard without realizing it). Some dogs will obsess on fetching too (my boy is obsessed with tennis balls) and can overdo it that way.

Don’t try to pack weight on him by overfeeding--that will just make for a fat dog with joint problems. He will grow to the size he is meant to, with good food and proper exercise. You should be able to see his last few ribs when he is standing still, and easily feel his other ribs, when he is at a proper weight.
he's full European dobie, 110 and 90 lbs for male and female European dobies is quite normal. His hipbones do stick out, quite a lot sometimes, and based on a lot of other factors i decided to feed him a cup more each day. Thanks for your help
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Alpha
 
Dobe_Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,148
Location: New England
Dogs Name: Jossie, Jessie, Kayla, Mya, Prophet
Titles: GCH, CH, CGC, WAC, CA, CAA
Dogs Age: 9, 6, 3, 2, 18 months
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit Dobe_Mom's Gallery
Thanks: 6,097
Thanked 8,136 Times in 1,821 Posts
Images: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTheDobe View Post
he's full European dobie, 110 and 90 lbs for male and female European dobies is quite normal. His hipbones do stick out, quite a lot sometimes, and based on a lot of other factors i decided to feed him a cup more each day. Thanks for your help
The FCI standard actually has a weight in the breed description: WEIGHT Males ca. 40 to 45 kg. Bitches ca. 32 to 35 kg.

So for dogs that is 88-99 lbs; bitches 70-77 lbs.

Dobe_Mom is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dobe_Mom For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (03-25-2016), bigfootlives (03-25-2016), Darkevs (03-27-2016), falnfenix (03-26-2016), greenkouki (03-25-2016), kmbeach22 (03-27-2016), leothedobermann (03-27-2016), LindaH (03-26-2016), melbrod (03-26-2016), numby (03-26-2016)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Alpha
 
Gretchen_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,580
Location: Denver
Dogs Name: Maverick and Kya
Titles: GCH, BH, Dock Diving, Agility, Rally, and of course Supreme bed destroyer
Dogs Age: 4 years and 20mo
Gallery Pics: 14
Visit Gretchen_Red's Gallery
Thanks: 7,252
Thanked 5,742 Times in 2,258 Posts
Images: 14
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTheDobe View Post
he's full European dobie, 110 and 90 lbs for male and female European dobies is quite normal. His hipbones do stick out, quite a lot sometimes, and based on a lot of other factors i decided to feed him a cup more each day. Thanks for your help
This is incorrect and whoever told you this is someone I would never trust again. Your boy has lots of time to grow don't let yourself get too worried and just have fun watching him be a puppy and have puppy shenanigans.
Gretchen_Red is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen_Red For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (03-25-2016), bigfootlives (03-25-2016), Dandobermanowner (03-27-2016)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Alpha
 
ShelianDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,674
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Dogs Name: Wheeler, Spock, Fame
Titles: Wheeler - AKC GCH/UKC CH, RO3. Spock - AKC/UKC CH. Fame - AKC/UKC CH.
Dogs Age: Wheeler: 11/13/08 Spock: 07/10/13 Fame: 07/10/13
Gallery Pics: 17
Visit ShelianDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 3,180
Thanked 13,554 Times in 3,436 Posts
Images: 17
                     
70# and leggy at 10 months is about right, depending on the individual, amount of bone and substance. Hip bones should not be visible and do indicate not enough food. Be sure he has been checked for worms and other underlying health issues.

Many if not most Males develop slowly and won't be fully mature until sometime between 2-3 years of age. Patience, good quality food, exercise and love and he will grow/mature to whatever his genetics dictate.


Shelly Wing
SHELIAN DOBERMANS
AKC GCH/UKC CH, RO3 Lyndobe's Wheel of Fortune, NTD "Wheeler"
AKC UKC CH Windsong's Fortune Hunter v Shelian, "Spock"
AKC UKC CH Windsong's Fame N Fortune v Shelian, "Fame"
AKC Ptd/UKC CH Shelian's Fifty Shades of Fame v Windsong, "Shade"
Shelian's A Thousand Words "Whisper"
Shelian's Words of Peace CGC BN RN "Olive"
www.sheliandobe.com
ShelianDobe is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShelianDobe For This Useful Post:
Asgardian (03-26-2016), Dandobermanowner (03-27-2016), greenkouki (03-26-2016), Gretchen_Red (03-26-2016)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelianDobe View Post
70# and leggy at 10 months is about right, depending on the individual, amount of bone and substance. Hip bones should not be visible and do indicate not enough food. Be sure he has been checked for worms and other underlying health issues.

Many if not most Males develop slowly and won't be fully mature until sometime between 2-3 years of age. Patience, good quality food, exercise and love and he will grow/mature to whatever his genetics dictate.
Thank you very much for your help
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_Red View Post
This is incorrect and whoever told you this is someone I would never trust again. Your boy has lots of time to grow don't let yourself get too worried and just have fun watching him be a puppy and have puppy shenanigans.
Thank you, we definitely have plenty of puppy shenanigans here. To be fully honest I don't think the parents weight that much, i meant the mom is a good 80 lbs, but can't seem to find a way to edit/delete posts.
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 AM
Alpha
 
Dandobermanowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 247
Location: UK
Dogs Name: Darcy, Oscar and Sirius (R.I.P)
Dogs Age: 22/12/2014 - 16/10/17
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit Dandobermanowner's Gallery
Thanks: 597
Thanked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Images: 2
                   
Hi. I understand your worries, Darcy has always been very 'lean' - (skinny). All legs, the vet called her Bambi and she didn't look like the other dobes I was meeting. You could see her ribs and hip bones but she's so full of energy she'd burn off any calories she ate. She couldn't keep weight on. Every time she gained a bit she had a growth spurt (upwards) and out came the hips again but at around 12 / 13 months she finally started to fill out. At just 15 months her hips and ribs are just covered and she has lots of muscle.
Some days she does a lot of exercise, if we're running or hiking, so I increase her food a bit. She doesn't ever call it a day, I do. I've not reached a point yet when this dog has had enough.
She also had loose stools for a long time and nothing seemed to work until I tried feeding her raw with good puppy kibble which fixed it almost overnight.
I spent a lot of time worrying and wondering what I was doing wrong (and if she was part Whippet) but looking back I didn't need to. They're probably just like kids, going through that skinny gawky stage, but they even out eventually.
Dandobermanowner is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Alpha
 
KitaTanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 307
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit KitaTanya's Gallery
Thanks: 91
Thanked 522 Times in 168 Posts
                     
Lucius is now 9 months old and has also stopped his growth spurt. So i guess its quite common. He grew over a kilo everyweek since he was with me at 2.5 months till about 7 months old. Then he only grew 2kgs over the course of 2 months. He stayed at his height now for over a month. So i guess dont panic!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
KitaTanya is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Big Dog
 
leothedobermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 105
Location: Miami, Florida
Dogs Name: Leo
Titles: My Manly Man :P
Dogs Age: 3
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit leothedobermann's Gallery
Thanks: 119
Thanked 181 Times in 64 Posts
Images: 4
               
I got my euro male when he was 1.9 months (at 95 pounds). He kept on gaining weight slowly until he was about 3. Right now he is at 102-105 pounds, always fluctuating between the two. But he is at a very last end of a height standard for euros (vet says his weight is appropriate for his size). However, 120 seems rather heavy, I am not sure how tall your boy's dad was because Leo is rather large but not that heavy. Your boy could've also taken after his mother.
I wouldn't worry about your boy, he will fill out at the rate he needs to. He is still a baby
leothedobermann is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedobermann View Post
I got my euro male when he was 1.9 months (at 95 pounds). He kept on gaining weight slowly until he was about 3. Right now he is at 102-105 pounds, always fluctuating between the two. But he is at a very last end of a height standard for euros (vet says his weight is appropriate for his size). However, 120 seems rather heavy, I am not sure how tall your boy's dad was because Leo is rather large but not that heavy. Your boy could've also taken after his mother.
I wouldn't worry about your boy, he will fill out at the rate he needs to. He is still a baby
Leo is super handsome! He and Harvey kind of look alike haha. Harvey's father was 115 lb according to the breeder when we visited him, he looked to the doberman standard, just a bit taller than i'd expect. However, the breeder did tell us he is trying to drop a few pounds (he was pretty roly poly-looking when we visited him) so i guess he is maybe around 108 pounds. The mother was 80-ish pounds (: thanks for your reply
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HarveyTheDobe For This Useful Post:
leothedobermann (03-28-2016)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitaTanya View Post
Lucius is now 9 months old and has also stopped his growth spurt. So i guess its quite common. He grew over a kilo everyweek since he was with me at 2.5 months till about 7 months old. Then he only grew 2kgs over the course of 2 months. He stayed at his height now for over a month. So i guess dont panic!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help!
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit HarveyTheDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandobermanowner View Post
Hi. I understand your worries, Darcy has always been very 'lean' - (skinny). All legs, the vet called her Bambi and she didn't look like the other dobes I was meeting. You could see her ribs and hip bones but she's so full of energy she'd burn off any calories she ate. She couldn't keep weight on. Every time she gained a bit she had a growth spurt (upwards) and out came the hips again but at around 12 / 13 months she finally started to fill out. At just 15 months her hips and ribs are just covered and she has lots of muscle.
Some days she does a lot of exercise, if we're running or hiking, so I increase her food a bit. She doesn't ever call it a day, I do. I've not reached a point yet when this dog has had enough.
She also had loose stools for a long time and nothing seemed to work until I tried feeding her raw with good puppy kibble which fixed it almost overnight.
I spent a lot of time worrying and wondering what I was doing wrong (and if she was part Whippet) but looking back I didn't need to. They're probably just like kids, going through that skinny gawky stage, but they even out eventually.
Thanks so much for your help, despite the vet telling us not to worry each time, we thought he had some kind of parasite. But now i feel much better knowing that this is normal. Harvey is go go go too, from 6 am in the morning till 8pm at night when it's his bedtime. After 9pm though treats can't even get him to get up for potty haha
HarveyTheDobe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HarveyTheDobe For This Useful Post:
Dandobermanowner (03-28-2016)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
growing , growth , puppy , small , stopped

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome