Utility Almosts... - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,854
Dogs Name: Rah, Berlin and the Cherrybomb
Titles: too many to list!
Dogs Age: 5.5, 3.5, and baby
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit doberkim's Gallery
Thanks: 492
Thanked 12,283 Times in 2,449 Posts
                     
Utility Almosts...

Cherry has shown a few times in utility this year - we have one leg so far, and we are making HUGE progress- especially in terms of her transitions between exercises!

this is our last trial a month ago - we have an entry coming in may - OUTSIDE (what am i thinking???)

anyone else training and trialing in utility?

https://youtu.be/5mr3x77WuWc


Bowie's Here Comes the Boom! UD BN RN TKP WAC CGC
Katwalk Calm Like a Bomb UDX OM1 PCD GN BN TKP CD-C CGC
Bowie's Atomic Bomb NW1 TKI
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, UD ASCA-CDX CDX-H D-CD RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA NAJ RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC CHIC#71265
Bowie's Modern Love RN CGC
Forever in my heart


more beatings, less love!
doberkim is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to doberkim For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (04-26-2016), engstrom (04-26-2016), HarvestMoon (04-26-2016), MeadowCat (04-26-2016), melbrod (04-26-2016), Rosemary (04-26-2016)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Alpha
 
HarvestMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,791
Location: Northern New Jersey
Dogs Name: Harvey (Dobe-RIP), Lucy (Dobe), Gidget (Aussie)
Titles: Lucy: AKC CH, BN, RN, NW1, NTD, CGC, ROM; Gidget: CDX, BN, RE, CDX-C, RL1, OA, NAJ, NF, CGC
Dogs Age: Harvey 12/01/00 - 10/13/09; Lucy 8/3/09; Gidget 9/10/12
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit HarvestMoon's Gallery
Thanks: 10,951
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,007 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Hi Kim,

I always enjoy watching your training and trialing videos and hearing how things are coming along with you and your crew. That is awesome that Cherry has gotten a Utility leg! Good luck at the upcoming outdoor trial.

Gidget is training in Utility and things are coming along but we have a very long ways to go before we will be trial ready. She actually still needs one leg in Open - we've taken a break from showing in OB after getting her first two Open legs to work on engagement and transition between exercises, with the goal of a peppier ring performance and stronger engagement between exercises. We have been recently using CDSP as a bridge to get ready to re-enter in AKC OB. Hope to go back for our 3rd AKC Open leg over the upcoming couple months.

What really strikes me about utility is the amount of waiting in between exercises. I have an "anticipator" who tends to be a bit too eager to start each exercise. I will need to spend a lot of time improving her ability to patiently wait before the next exercise begins for Utility. And the working away from the handler and independence required on the part of the dog seems pretty intense in Utility.

Good luck with Cherry's UD!!

HarvestMoon is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (04-26-2016), dax0402 (04-26-2016), Gretchen_Red (04-26-2016), MeadowCat (04-26-2016), Rosemary (04-26-2016)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Alpha
 
Gretchen_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,481
Location: Denver
Dogs Name: Gretchen and Maverick
Titles: CGCA, RE, RATN and Supreme bed destroyer
Dogs Age: 21 mo and 6mo.
Gallery Pics: 14
Visit Gretchen_Red's Gallery
Thanks: 7,163
Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,167 Posts
Images: 14
                     
Thank you for the videos! How old is your dobe?

Also, do the finishes always have to be straight to the left or can they go behind you to finish on your left??
Gretchen_Red is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Alpha
 
HarvestMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,791
Location: Northern New Jersey
Dogs Name: Harvey (Dobe-RIP), Lucy (Dobe), Gidget (Aussie)
Titles: Lucy: AKC CH, BN, RN, NW1, NTD, CGC, ROM; Gidget: CDX, BN, RE, CDX-C, RL1, OA, NAJ, NF, CGC
Dogs Age: Harvey 12/01/00 - 10/13/09; Lucy 8/3/09; Gidget 9/10/12
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit HarvestMoon's Gallery
Thanks: 10,951
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,007 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_Red View Post

Also, do the finishes always have to be straight to the left or can they go behind you to finish on your left??
Hi there, I'll chime in on the finishes. You can finish left or right (around behind) in AKC OB. It's really handler preference and some dogs are stronger/more accurate one direction vs the other, so the handler may base the decision on that. It's also not uncommon to finish both directions during a given run, depending on exercise. i.e., I tend to finish right vs left on the broad jump vs because there is more room for the dog vs having the broad jump right next to us on the left where the dog is ultimately coming back into heel position.

HarvestMoon is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:
Rosemary (04-26-2016)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,854
Dogs Name: Rah, Berlin and the Cherrybomb
Titles: too many to list!
Dogs Age: 5.5, 3.5, and baby
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit doberkim's Gallery
Thanks: 492
Thanked 12,283 Times in 2,449 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
Hi Kim,

I always enjoy watching your training and trialing videos and hearing how things are coming along with you and your crew. That is awesome that Cherry has gotten a Utility leg! Good luck at the upcoming outdoor trial.

Gidget is training in Utility and things are coming along but we have a very long ways to go before we will be trial ready. She actually still needs one leg in Open - we've taken a break from showing in OB after getting her first two Open legs to work on engagement and transition between exercises, with the goal of a peppier ring performance and stronger engagement between exercises. We have been recently using CDSP as a bridge to get ready to re-enter in AKC OB. Hope to go back for our 3rd AKC Open leg over the upcoming couple months.

What really strikes me about utility is the amount of waiting in between exercises. I have an "anticipator" who tends to be a bit too eager to start each exercise. I will need to spend a lot of time improving her ability to patiently wait before the next exercise begins for Utility. And the working away from the handler and independence required on the part of the dog seems pretty intense in Utility.

Good luck with Cherry's UD!!
Thanks - hopefully will see you around here and there - Chill has shown extensively outside but cherry has never - no time like trying utility A out there, right?

Utility is a long process - I don't want to rush the dogs, but honestly the dogs have been doing utility since they were little puppies and SO MUCH of it is confidence in this class - it's a lot of independent thinking and decisions that I cannot help with! (though you see me try to save the articles here in this video, I figured worth a shot!)

Yes, there can be waiting - there is a LOT of work for a steward in this class (picking up and putting down articles) but Art is also not the fastest judge - and this was his second day of judging! But still it will be easily almost twice as long as most dogs are in open and novice - my average utility run is about 7 minutes, and my open and novice runs are 3.5-4.5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_Red View Post
Thank you for the videos! How old is your dobe?

Also, do the finishes always have to be straight to the left or can they go behind you to finish on your left??
Cherry turned 5 this february.

Finishes can be either right or left finishes - it's up to you. I choose the one that the dog does best -
which includes
1) the briskest
2) least likely to be distracted
3) more correct - straightest, proper position
4) cutest

i aim for my left finishes to all have hops, but you can see she doesn't do it on ALL the left finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
Hi there, I'll chime in on the finishes. You can finish left or right (around behind) in AKC OB. It's really handler preference and some dogs are stronger/more accurate one direction vs the other, so the handler may base the decision on that. It's also not uncommon to finish both directions during a given run, depending on exercise. i.e., I tend to finish right vs left on the broad jump vs because there is more room for the dog vs having the broad jump right next to us on the left where the dog is ultimately coming back into heel position.
yes - Chill does not have a right finish despite my best teachings (i know, i know - funny thing to fail at), but we also dropped from 5th to 8th place at the AKC classic this past year when he went to do his left finish and hit the broad jump and came back to front ! Silly mistake, since he hits the broad jump on the finish ALL the time (not points off - not principle part of the exercise) so i now have a left finish that is NOT a jump up.


Bowie's Here Comes the Boom! UD BN RN TKP WAC CGC
Katwalk Calm Like a Bomb UDX OM1 PCD GN BN TKP CD-C CGC
Bowie's Atomic Bomb NW1 TKI
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, UD ASCA-CDX CDX-H D-CD RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA NAJ RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC CHIC#71265
Bowie's Modern Love RN CGC
Forever in my heart


more beatings, less love!
doberkim is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doberkim For This Useful Post:
HarvestMoon (04-27-2016), Rosemary (04-26-2016)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Got mutt?
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13,085
Location: Southeast Texas
Dogs Name: Leo (GSD); Lily (APBT)
Titles: They do, and are working on more
Dogs Age: Leo 7; Lily 5; Ilka 2009-2017; Lucky 2000-2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Rosemary's Gallery
Thanks: 38,948
Thanked 31,046 Times in 10,328 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim View Post
Finishes can be either right or left finishes - it's up to you. I choose the one that the dog does best -
which includes
1) the briskest
2) least likely to be distracted
3) more correct - straightest, proper position
4) cutest

i aim for my left finishes to all have hops, but you can see she doesn't do it on ALL the left finishes.
Ilka's preference is a left finish. I didn't exactly know what I was doing when I taught her finishes (not that I actually know what I'm doing now....) and used "heel" for both, and a hand signal to differentiate left and right. If you call her to front, and just tell her to heel, 99% of the time she will go left.

Leo, who handles like an aging Peterbilt with a bad transmission, prefers a right finish, although her left finishes are better than they used to be. For her, I use "heel" for a right, and "swing" for a left.


~~The Current Hellhounds~~
Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T PKD-N ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr)/L1 GC GPS-NST OD-WD2
CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD D-CRO-Preliminary PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr)/L1 GC GPS-NST OD-WD2
~~Requiescat In Pace~~
Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD CRO-1 D-CRO-Preliminary NCO-1 PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L4 ~2009-2017~
Lucky Rat Dog CGC ~2000-2014~
“Dance as if no one who is qualified to commit you is watching!”
Rosemary is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:
HarvestMoon (04-27-2016)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome