I just started playing piano a little over a year ago.
It is part of my never ending quest to find a hobby that I like and good at Here are a few things I have done over the many years.
Sewing - I have made a few things - the sewing part is ok. The cutting patterns out then cutting the fabric is tedious.
Fencing - not the wood posts in the ground - sword fighting(foil or epee) - a lot of leg work - was a 2-3 month course.
Bread Baking- I am pretty good at this and enjoy it as well
Cooking - we have done a number of classes for vacation
Photography - I need to take lessons from TN and my Uncle
Online gaming- unfortunately this took up too much of my time when I was younger. But for me it seemed natural progression from Science Fiction and Fantasy books to visual of this genre.
Martial arts - Aikido in high school, Tae Kwon Do as an adult and when I turned 50 a few years ago tried Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee). I lasted 3-6 months to far to drive and I hurt my foot...
Chess - play on and off...went to a few tournaments when moved here to SC
There are others but I bounce around a bit. One to find something and two I like the variety of doing different things or trying. A couple of things I am thinking about next.
Wood carving - keeping in the artistic arena.
Learning a language - maybe Spanish - French in high school is long gone even the one class of German from College (got an A but do not remember anything).
^^ Amazing list of self improvement Mo
...here are some of my random thoughts, as pertaining to us. Here are a few things from the PapaBear family, done over the many years.
Guitar / Wish I had learned to play drums.
Oil Painting / Drawing - went to College with a kid that painted and he had his parents supplies / so Larry painted a barn sense, now to make a black walnut frame for my one and only 1974 art piece.
Sewing - GF (Mrs67) made her grade12 prom dress...she could sew.
- now if she could make me some seat covers
for a truck or 2
Fencing - Nope
Bread Baking & Cooking - wife Nancy is a natural, learned from mother ...cooks & bakes like a trained chef.
Reading - Nancy is a master in reading, English & Latin. She can sit down and polish off 100 pages / while Larry is a poor reader, and enjoys learning and research instead via short text reading.
Photography - Larry enjoyed photo taking, on my cell phone now. Haven't used my 35 mm digital, in several years.
Online gaming - Andrew @ 17 was playing 4-8 tables @ a time, ranked semi pro. Games changed via USA Govn. over money laundering etc. and games setup to take out the pros...so play was retired
Martial arts - young 9 year old Andrew was bullied by a kid 4 years older that failed 2 grades. So dad said, "you dedicate yourself to karate, I will pay for it.
- soon he was doubling up on his classes and assisted the 4th degree sensei (wife of head school founder), teaching the junior class
- he would bring home all the 1st place trophy's in 3 forms of combat
- dad witnessed a baseball kid arguing with son over him playing 1st base and kid said he was taking the preferred position next game, because his father was the coach / even though Andrew was put on 1st because he was left handed
- kid threw a punch at 10 year old Andrew, while he blocked it and planted a solid round-house kick, across his left ear...and the fat kid, dropped to the ground like a rock in water /// no one ever messed with Andrew in school, for more than 20 seconds
- we drove home from the ball practice, laughing it up...all the way home Master Sensei honored, in local news: https://www.stthomastimesjournal.com...gwEnLr0S5GO6PE
Chess - 14 y/o son was checkmated quick, by a chess master in 10 [email protected]
- so he asked mom to but him a computer chess game & studied the game several hours per day, next 10 days straight
- he finally beat the computer, entry level master level
- next day he challenged the chess master for a rematch & after 3.5 straight hours, Andrew had checkmated this master
- that was the last chess game, Andrew ever played / the challenge had been conquered