For his impressive (albeit esoteric) knowledge base....Beau is awarded a 100% original 1917 Indian Power Plus
A reminder of his childhood.
Super prize MEL
, Beau is stoked...
- you know how to treat a guy
could learn, from your true generosity...a gift giver
Ken Smith's Original Paint 1916 Indian Powerplus..... Where the Hell is Murph ?...: Ken Smith's Original Paint 1916 Indian Powerplus.......and other stuff.
On the right side of the gas tank is a hand clutch lever, together with a shifter moving in a vertical plane and an exhaust valve lifter. Such a motorcycle is a busy yet charming machine to ride; at least it has a kickstarter, clutch and a 3-speed gearbox. Earlier models were more primitive, retaining bicycle pedal cranks for starting. A truly modern motorcycle … in 1916
Motorcyclists and policemen of the day would have been overjoyed at the prospect of having a “modern” Indian Powerplus. Introduced in 1916, the Powerplus featured a new 61ci side-valve L-head engine, replacing the F-head (inlet-over-exhaust) layout first designed in 1901 by Indian Motocycle co-founder Oscar Hedstrom. It was Hedstrom’s V-twin engine that brought the company success at the 1911 Isle of Man TT races, where Oliver Godfrey was the first to ride a non-English machine to a TT win; Indian took the top three positions. By the time of the Powerplus in 1916, Indian founders Hedstrom and George Hendee had taken their not-insignificant earnings, purchased country estates and retired from the fledgling motorcycle industry they had helped create.
Charles Gustafson, Sr., who had early ties to the Reading Standard Co. of Pennsylvania, was the man behind Indian’s side-valve engine. According to Jerry Hatfield’s Illustrated Indian Motorcycle Buyer’s Guide, the Indian Powerplus engine initially met with resistance from Hedstrom loyalists, who preferred the F-head design. However, Hatfield writes, “a Powerplus test ride was sufficient enough to convert them because of the extra punch of the new side-valve engine.”
A 1916 Indian sales brochure claims the company had been working on the Powerplus for some three years prior to its introduction. “This new power unit is designed on very neat and practical lines,” Indian’s copywriters exclaimed. “The cam mechanism and timing gears are placed on the outside of the crankcase, the whole (including the mechanical oil pump, which on this new engine is placed horizontally, and driven direct from the mainshaft) being covered by one neat oil-proof plate.”
The Indian Powerplus featured a 3-1/8-inch bore and 3-31/32-inch stroke (a smaller bore and longer stroke than the F-head). Indian assured customers this arrangement offered greater power and flexibility at higher speeds, and would provide ample torque for sidecar work.
More photos: The VanBuren Sisters and the Indian Powerplus » National Motorcycle Museum