Hello From Maryland - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
New member introduction If you are a new member to www.Dobermantalk.com please say Hi

 17Likes
  • 2 Post By ajj3
  • 4 Post By greenkouki
  • 2 Post By LadyDi
  • 2 Post By LadyDi
  • 3 Post By MeadowCat
  • 1 Post By ajj3
  • 1 Post By ajj3
  • 1 Post By dobebug
  • 1 Post By melbrod
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ajj3's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
 
Hello From Maryland

Hello Everyone, just wanted to do a quick intro. My girlfriend and I just picked up our little girl Luna on Friday Feb 7th from a breeder in the Hampton roads area. We are first time Dobe owners. I’m blessed to have a job where I can work remote, so I have time to keep an eye on Luna throughout the day. The first day bringing her home was a breeze. Now she has turned into a ball of energy running around, jumping on everything, trying to tackle you from behind and biting toes. I was so shocked she picked up the sit command on the first day we got her.

I did have a few questions on how others approached these topics/issues:
• We currently live in an apartment complex (waiting for our house to be built), the parvo convo with the breeder and the vet kind of scared us. So we have kept Luna inside the apartment the whole time. Luna had her first shot already and will have her second round this week. Is it OK to take her for walks inside and around the apartment complex?
• How do I get her to walk on leash? Right now, she will not move if we put one on?
• I think she is teething, but how do we stop her from biting toes?
• Has anyone taken their dobe to petco puppy playtime? If so, how was that experience?





https://i.imgur.com/PL3BK7a.mp4
ECIN and LadyDi like this.
ajj3 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajj3 For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-10-2020), dobegal (02-10-2020), ECIN (02-10-2020), LadyDi (02-10-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,053
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 19,978
Thanked 31,112 Times in 10,020 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Welcome to DT. You can remove the cone. Cones usually do more harm than good for young puppies because they rub on the back of the ears and cut edges and make them itch. I would STRONGLY advise against taking your puppy to any "dog" public place until she's about 4 months old. Instead, you can take her to the hardware store, the [people] park, farmer's market, etc. and let people approach her and get her used to all sorts of noises, sights, smells, and surfaces.

I have never heard of "puppy playtime" but it sounds like a disaster in the making. Puppies don't need to play with each other. It's more important for her to be socialized with other people and learn that when she's on a leash around other dogs she's NOT allowed to play. I would recommend signing up for group puppy obedience class when she's 4-5 months old though!
dobebug, ECIN, LadyDi and 1 others like this.
greenkouki is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-10-2020), dobegal (02-10-2020), ECIN (02-10-2020), LadyDi (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Alpha
 
LadyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,208
Location: Florida
Dogs Name: Hoss
Titles: Proud European Doberman
Dogs Age: 3
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit LadyDi's Gallery
Thanks: 33,382
Thanked 14,141 Times in 4,430 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Click here to find out how LadyDi became a supporter
Walking with a leash with a young puppy:

Encourage your Puppy.
When first holding the leash, do not attempt to get him to walk at heel yet. If he does that naturally, great, but if he doesn’t do not be tempted to yank on the leash to get him to do so. Do everything calmly and gently. Sometimes even just standing still or kneeling down while he figures out what is happening is a good idea.

Give him time to process all this information regarding what the leash is and does. Let him gain confidence in you, and then in the leash and himself. You can even use a treat held in your hand down by your side at his head level to get him walking alongside you on the leash, and then occasionally make him stop and sit for the treat.

Some dogs can sit and decide not to move. In this instance, walk a few steps away, go down on one knee and encourage him to come to you using a treat. Then set off walking again. For many pups with concerns, and even those without them, the collar and leash can be a little restricting and can create resistance in your dog. Some dogs may walk alongside you and not leave you off leash, but when they have a leash on they behave differently.

Take your time and keep your cool, but be persistent in what you do to achieve the results you want. Even if the results are only a small step towards what you wish to achieve, in time, the small steps become the big ones you seek. Very quickly you will find your dog accepting the leash and eventually he will come to walk nicely on it as well.
dobebug and ajj3 like this.

Hoss
LadyDi is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyDi For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Alpha
 
LadyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,208
Location: Florida
Dogs Name: Hoss
Titles: Proud European Doberman
Dogs Age: 3
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit LadyDi's Gallery
Thanks: 33,382
Thanked 14,141 Times in 4,430 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Click here to find out how LadyDi became a supporter
Until Pup is up to date with shots and Vet gives the go ahead......keep pup away for any other dogs (including your friends dogs)and other doggie areas.
Try to have pup do business in areas that the other dogs are not typically peeing and pooping in until all the shots are complete.
No kennels, classes, etc until vet gives the go ahead. Those shots are real important at your pups young age.
Meanwhile you have what we call a dobershark on hand.......yes..those teeth are sharp and you are responsible to not give the pup an opportunity to bite.
If pup does bite...BAM....game over...pup goes to crate for a real short time out. No punishment ......crates are to be fun places.
No words are spoken when isolated to the crate ..just action....... isolating for a short period to give pup an opportunity to calm down.
Then after a short while ......its a new day and reapproach. But in all fairness, do the best you can to play games that will not get yourself close to the teeth if possible.
After doing short time outs when to dobershark attacks ...................your pup will learn......ooo...when I bite.........ooo......the game ends.
Yes the teething really makes them want to chew ........many of us use the traditional Kongs..........fill it with softened food....if using kibble now add water to the kibble and it will get soft.....then stuff the kong with the soft foods and ....freeze the kong. That nice cold kibble kong will feel good on those teeth!
Keep us up to date on how things are going........we love puppies !
Check out some of the online classes via Fenzi Dog Sports Academy .......I just signed up for a class with my dog Hoss.......the detailed explanation is excellent.
And CONGRATS!!!!
dobebug and ajj3 like this.

Hoss

Last edited by LadyDi; 02-10-2020 at 10:12 AM.
LadyDi is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyDi For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-10-2020), dobebug (02-10-2020), ECIN (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,904
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 48,094
Thanked 60,035 Times in 16,203 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
It is IMPERATIVE that you socialize your puppy now. This is a critical window of time for exposing her to many things. Does that mean dog parks and places that you don't know the vaccination status of other dogs? No. BUT! The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists has issued a statement about the risks of not socializing verses the risks of exposure to disease - you can read it here: https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads..._-_10-3-14.pdf

Basically, you need to be smart. Your puppy MUST be exposed to things before the window of time closes. That means you need to get her out to places and see things. As others have said, there are lots of places you can go with her. You can take her to places that allow dogs - for example, you could take her to hardware stores (you can have her ride in the cart on a blanket, if you're worried). Take her out and about...she needs to see a huge variety of people - old and young, kids, people in hats, people in hoodies, people in wheelchairs and walkers...I try to take my puppies to parking garages and ride in elevators. I expose them to as many places as I possibly can, and make it very positive.

Additionally, I disagree on no other dogs...do you have friends with vaccinated adult dogs that like puppies? Play dates. Or, if there is a puppy class that isn't just puppy play time, but puppies starting to learn basic skills, I would 100% start that. My puppies go to class immediately - most training facilities require dogs to be vaccinated. For ME, the risks of not getting out and doing things and the damage that can do to temperament in the long term far outweigh the risk of disease.
dobebug, Cressrb and LadyDi like this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Chesa (02-11-2020), Cressrb (02-11-2020), dobebug (02-10-2020), LadyDi (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020), Rosemary (02-11-2020)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ajj3's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkouki View Post
Welcome to DT. You can remove the cone. Cones usually do more harm than good for young puppies because they rub on the back of the ears and cut edges and make them itch. I would STRONGLY advise against taking your puppy to any "dog" public place until she's about 4 months old. Instead, you can take her to the hardware store, the [people] park, farmer's market, etc. and let people approach her and get her used to all sorts of noises, sights, smells, and surfaces.

I have never heard of "puppy playtime" but it sounds like a disaster in the making. Puppies don't need to play with each other. It's more important for her to be socialized with other people and learn that when she's on a leash around other dogs she's NOT allowed to play. I would recommend signing up for group puppy obedience class when she's 4-5 months old though!
I already have her signed up for puppy obedience class. I'm trying to hold out until she get a little older, but she is a ball of energy.
LadyDi likes this.
ajj3 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajj3 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ajj3's Gallery
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkouki View Post
Welcome to DT. You can remove the cone. Cones usually do more harm than good for young puppies because they rub on the back of the ears and cut edges and make them itch. I would STRONGLY advise against taking your puppy to any "dog" public place until she's about 4 months old. Instead, you can take her to the hardware store, the [people] park, farmer's market, etc. and let people approach her and get her used to all sorts of noises, sights, smells, and surfaces.

I have never heard of "puppy playtime" but it sounds like a disaster in the making. Puppies don't need to play with each other. It's more important for her to be socialized with other people and learn that when she's on a leash around other dogs she's NOT allowed to play. I would recommend signing up for group puppy obedience class when she's 4-5 months old though!
Once this weather clears up we will take her to some people places.
I already have her signed up for class. I'm trying to hold out until she older but she is a ball of energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
Walking with a leash with a young puppy:

Encourage your Puppy.
When first holding the leash, do not attempt to get him to walk at heel yet. If he does that naturally, great, but if he doesn’t do not be tempted to yank on the leash to get him to do so. Do everything calmly and gently. Sometimes even just standing still or kneeling down while he figures out what is happening is a good idea.

Give him time to process all this information regarding what the leash is and does. Let him gain confidence in you, and then in the leash and himself. You can even use a treat held in your hand down by your side at his head level to get him walking alongside you on the leash, and then occasionally make him stop and sit for the treat.

Some dogs can sit and decide not to move. In this instance, walk a few steps away, go down on one knee and encourage him to come to you using a treat. Then set off walking again. For many pups with concerns, and even those without them, the collar and leash can be a little restricting and can create resistance in your dog. Some dogs may walk alongside you and not leave you off leash, but when they have a leash on they behave differently.

Take your time and keep your cool, but be persistent in what you do to achieve the results you want. Even if the results are only a small step towards what you wish to achieve, in time, the small steps become the big ones you seek. Very quickly you will find your dog accepting the leash and eventually he will come to walk nicely on it as well.
thank you, this helped. I was able to get her out the crate and put the lease on her then walked her to the deck, so she could use the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
Until Pup is up to date with shots and Vet gives the go ahead......keep pup away for any other dogs (including your friends dogs)and other doggie areas.
Try to have pup do business in areas that the other dogs are not typically peeing and pooping in until all the shots are complete.
No kennels, classes, etc until vet gives the go ahead. Those shots are real important at your pups young age.
Meanwhile you have what we call a dobershark on hand.......yes..those teeth are sharp and you are responsible to not give the pup an opportunity to bite.
If pup does bite...BAM....game over...pup goes to crate for a real short time out. No punishment ......crates are to be fun places.
No words are spoken when isolated to the crate ..just action....... isolating for a short period to give pup an opportunity to calm down.
Then after a short while ......its a new day and reapproach. But in all fairness, do the best you can to play games that will not get yourself close to the teeth if possible.
After doing short time outs when to dobershark attacks ...................your pup will learn......ooo...when I bite.........ooo......the game ends.
Yes the teething really makes them want to chew ........many of us use the traditional Kongs..........fill it with softened food....if using kibble now add water to the kibble and it will get soft.....then stuff the kong with the soft foods and ....freeze the kong. That nice cold kibble kong will feel good on those teeth!
Keep us up to date on how things are going........we love puppies !
Check out some of the online classes via Fenzi Dog Sports Academy .......I just signed up for a class with my dog Hoss.......the detailed explanation is excellent.
And CONGRATS!!!!
I'm going follow up with the vet to see what he thinks is best for Luna.
thanks, I will try the crate method and freezing the kibble and kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
It is IMPERATIVE that you socialize your puppy now. This is a critical window of time for exposing her to many things. Does that mean dog parks and places that you don't know the vaccination status of other dogs? No. BUT! The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists has issued a statement about the risks of not socializing verses the risks of exposure to disease - you can read it here: https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads..._-_10-3-14.pdf

Basically, you need to be smart. Your puppy MUST be exposed to things before the window of time closes. That means you need to get her out to places and see things. As others have said, there are lots of places you can go with her. You can take her to places that allow dogs - for example, you could take her to hardware stores (you can have her ride in the cart on a blanket, if you're worried). Take her out and about...she needs to see a huge variety of people - old and young, kids, people in hats, people in hoodies, people in wheelchairs and walkers...I try to take my puppies to parking garages and ride in elevators. I expose them to as many places as I possibly can, and make it very positive.

Additionally, I disagree on no other dogs...do you have friends with vaccinated adult dogs that like puppies? Play dates. Or, if there is a puppy class that isn't just puppy play time, but puppies starting to learn basic skills, I would 100% start that. My puppies go to class immediately - most training facilities require dogs to be vaccinated. For ME, the risks of not getting out and doing things and the damage that can do to temperament in the long term far outweigh the risk of disease.
This was the description of the puppy play time "Play, bond and socialize
Every Saturday & Sunday | 1 pm

This 30-minute session provides puppies 8 weeks to 6 months a fun and supervised environment to learn social skills.

Dogs only. Proof of current vaccinations required".

But I reached out to my friends to see if their dogs were vaccinated.
LadyDi likes this.
ajj3 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajj3 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,305

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanks: 12,986
Thanked 25,567 Times in 6,484 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
It is IMPERATIVE that you socialize your puppy now. This is a critical window of time for exposing her to many things. Does that mean dog parks and places that you don't know the vaccination status of other dogs? No. BUT! The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists has issued a statement about the risks of not socializing verses the risks of exposure to disease - you can read it here: https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads..._-_10-3-14.pdf

Basically, you need to be smart. Your puppy MUST be exposed to things before the window of time closes. That means you need to get her out to places and see things. As others have said, there are lots of places you can go with her. You can take her to places that allow dogs - for example, you could take her to hardware stores (you can have her ride in the cart on a blanket, if you're worried). Take her out and about...she needs to see a huge variety of people - old and young, kids, people in hats, people in hoodies, people in wheelchairs and walkers...I try to take my puppies to parking garages and ride in elevators. I expose them to as many places as I possibly can, and make it very positive.

Additionally, I disagree on no other dogs...do you have friends with vaccinated adult dogs that like puppies? Play dates. Or, if there is a puppy class that isn't just puppy play time, but puppies starting to learn basic skills, I would 100% start that. My puppies go to class immediately - most training facilities require dogs to be vaccinated. For ME, the risks of not getting out and doing things and the damage that can do to temperament in the long term far outweigh the risk of disease.
Thanks MeadowCat--for the link--it was a good short explanation of the why and how of early socialization.

Frankly several of my puppies went to agility trials very early in life. Most dogs entered in trials and shows are vaccinated and when we went to trials we went with x-pens and crates and heavy mats to put under the x-pens so the puppy who went along wasn't on dirt. We invited friends to meet the newest puppy, to pet him, play with him --he met other friendly dogs--some who were known to be very tolerant of puppies got to go in the x-pen and meet the puppy. Never had one get sick from all that exposure and the majority of my dogs were friendly but also as adult tended to be picky about who their friends (canine or human were) were. They were tolerant of most people but their basic attitude was "Meh, I don't know you and I'm not your best buddy."

The fact that at the conformation shows once the pups were over six months meant that not only were they handled by strangers and judges and taken in and out of crates by strangers and walked by friends gave me very well rounded dogs.

I don't think I worried as much about infectious diseases partly because I have worked in a vet clinic for the last 17 years and the puppies came to work with me daily--hung out with other dogs in the runs that were dedicated to employee only dogs.

LOL--also my dogs also socialized the kittens we acquired every summer from the feral cats that were maintained by some of our clients. My Dobes lived with cats and Toad, in particular was very cat tolerant. One of the vets took a client dog to the back and looked into the ward that had the employee dogs and realized that the run Toad was in also had a half dozen very small kittens.

She rushed out to tell me about it--we laughed about it because the kittens were small enough to squeeze under the bottom bar of the run gate and we let them out of the kennel they were in for a little exercise a couple of times a day. When the kittens got tired or thirsty they'd squeeze into Toad's run, drink the dog water (much better than kitten water) and if they were tired would sleep on his paws. It was great--they could go to homes with dogs because of their very early experience.
LadyDi likes this.
dobebug is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-11-2020), LadyDi (02-10-2020), MeadowCat (02-10-2020), melbrod (02-10-2020), Rosemary (02-11-2020)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,921
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 72,331
Thanked 60,556 Times in 18,703 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
We have a good thread about dealing with puppy biting. Give it a glance--there is a lot there that might help you out. Yes, the fact that your puppy is teething doesn't help (dang, those puppy teeth are SHARP!) but dobes are mouthy as pups anyway so they don't even need that excuse to gnaw on you. It'll pass, though, so hang on. And try the approaches given in this thread; they should help you quite a bit:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...biting-me.html

It sounds like you've made some progress with the leash thing--you can also let her drag the leash around your apt. (with supervision) to help her get more comfortable with the idea and the sensations.

And a strong shout out to what folks have said about socialization--she absolutely NEEDS to be out and about to see as many different things as she can. Being exposed to all kinds of experiences while she's young will give her the judgement as an adult dog to know when she can just hang out in a situation without being aroused vs what things might be "dangerous" for you both, and that means that her innate abilities as a watchful dog will be balanced by good sense. Just try to avoid places where there are a lot of possibly unvaccinated dogs.
LadyDi likes this.

Last edited by melbrod; 02-10-2020 at 01:19 PM.
melbrod is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (02-11-2020), LadyDi (02-10-2020), MeadowCat (02-10-2020)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Ace's Human
 
Chesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 484
Location: Maryland
Dogs Name: Vom Haus NY Dobermans Ace's Wild
Titles: CGC, TKN

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Chesa's Gallery
Thanks: 518
Thanked 1,142 Times in 349 Posts
                     
No advice to give, but welcome from MD as well!

Chesa is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Alpha
 
Codysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,710
Location: Bowie, Maryland
Dogs Name: Willie - Holloway's More Than a Feeling; Cody, Apollo, Molly - waititng at the bridge
Titles: Not yet
Dogs Age: 2 years old
Gallery Pics: 30
Visit Codysmom's Gallery
Thanks: 69
Thanked 399 Times in 101 Posts
Images: 30
                     
You already got lots of great advice for your little one from the others, so here's another wecome to the group, from the DMV

cc
Codysmom is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome