Excited to FINALLY have a Doberman!! (...and an ears question) - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
New member introduction If you are a new member to www.Dobermantalk.com please say Hi

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
TT
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Moretti
Titles: Princess #2 of the home
Dogs Age: 10 Weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Moretti's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Excited to FINALLY have a Doberman!! (...and an ears question)

Hey all,

My family and I are new Dobe owners and just wanted to say hi. I'm Tom and my wife's name is Tiffany. Our Dobe is 10 weeks (Moretti) and we've had her for 2 weeks now... she's been a fantastic puppy, even with the potty in the house the first 4 or 5 days. She seems to be potty trained and either whines/puppy barks to go outside but now seems to have a UTI (left msg for Vet to get her into to see them) and is having to go outside almost constantly.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting and learning from you all, as well as sharing anything I may have of value.

I'd upload a pic of her but can't seem to figure that one out.

Hey, here's a question: I would like to have her ears cropped but my wife would like them to stay floppy...and she'd also like her to stay at 12 pounds but that ain't happening ) I'm actually open but I've heard there are some health benefits to having the ears cropped. For those that are willing, would you offer some insight as to any pros/cons of this procedure, when it should get done if it gets done, and any other warnings or tips? Sure do appreciate it!

Hope you all have a blessed week!
Tom
Moretti is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,926
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 19,775
Thanked 30,701 Times in 9,899 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Welcome to DT and I hope you are staying sane with that new puppy! If you want to have her ears cropped you need to do it NOW and it needs to be done by an expert ear crop vet. I believe there's a good vet in Co Springs- Mel? @melbrod It is a lot of work to properly care for freshly cropped ears and then there will be months of posting them, so you really need to be committed. Good luck with whatever you decide
greenkouki is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
ECIN (07-23-2018), ShelianDobe (07-23-2018)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,004
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 66,474
Thanked 56,146 Times in 17,817 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
I'm not aware of one in the Springs...but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I just haven't had to get a puppy's ears cropped myself since my first over 30 years ago. They've all come from their breeders done already.

There are things said about health benefits of cropped ears (fewer ear infections, for example) but I'm not sure they are really anything more than apocryphal. But like GK said....they need to be cropped NOW if you decide that's what you want. The window for cropping is 7-12 weeks old, very much the earlier the better. If they are cropped after that, it is much harder to get them to stand properly; sometimes they never will.

It can be very hard to find an experienced vet to do your cropping, and posting is rather of a pain. If you really don't care that much one way or the other, you might want to go ahead and leave them alone. Take a look at this thread to get familiar with what you want in a cropping vet https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html and this one to see what is involved in posting ears properly https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html.

I'm in the Springs....if you do get your pup's ears cropped and would like a little tutorial or run into problems posting, I'd be glad to help if you can get within shouting distance of me.
melbrod is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (07-23-2018), Cressrb (07-24-2018), LadyDi (07-23-2018), MeadowCat (07-24-2018)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Alpha
 
LadyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,512
Location: Florida
Dogs Name: Hoss
Titles: Proud European Doberman
Dogs Age: 3
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit LadyDi's Gallery
Thanks: 26,961
Thanked 10,724 Times in 3,755 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Click here to find out how LadyDi became a supporter
IMO cropping ears depends on your personal preference......there are many articles written about dogs hearing better ..but they already have excellent hearing.....then it was said ...cropped =less ear infections...but now if we are taking care of our pets properly that not so much of an issue like it was in the old days.......so my thoughts are this :
As you look at a Dobe with natural ears they are very very cute......and those ears are so soft .......so opting for natural ears....this makes it easy... as you are dealing with a new baby and many other new things to learn as a puppy parent.

Then when you look at PICs of cropped ears ..also very nice.......but alot of hard work goes into posting ears ....alot of new members sign up on this forum on the verge of crying because they have never posted before......so they do not know what they are doing and get frustrated.....but through this forum.....no problems...all of us can help...you just need to be prepared to do the hard work.....read some of the different posts regarding posting concerns.......you will see that you will get through it but its not as easy as natural ears......

So to crop or not......it depends what you prefer as far as how you want your dog to "look" and how devoted you are to posting (it can be hard work ,yet some dogs post very easily but it can take you into 6 to 8 months . Sometimes even longer for proper posting.

As far as natural ears.......that's the easiest of course and will allow you to move right onto proper puppy manners. Never to young to start with training at home.....then classes once all the puppy shots are completed and vet approved.

Welcome to our forum......look forward to more posts from you.

Hoss

Last edited by LadyDi; 07-23-2018 at 04:43 PM.
LadyDi is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyDi For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (07-23-2018), melbrod (07-23-2018)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
TT
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Moretti
Titles: Princess #2 of the home
Dogs Age: 10 Weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Moretti's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkouki View Post
Welcome to DT and I hope you are staying sane with that new puppy! If you want to have her ears cropped you need to do it NOW and it needs to be done by an expert ear crop vet. I believe there's a good vet in Co Springs- Mel? @melbrod It is a lot of work to properly care for freshly cropped ears and then there will be months of posting them, so you really need to be committed. Good luck with whatever you decide
Thanks so much... I'll look them up. That's a hike, as I'm in Fort Collins. Sure do appreciate it!
Moretti is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Moretti For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (07-24-2018)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
TT
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Moretti
Titles: Princess #2 of the home
Dogs Age: 10 Weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Moretti's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrod View Post
I'm not aware of one in the Springs...but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I just haven't had to get a puppy's ears cropped myself since my first over 30 years ago. They've all come from their breeders done already.

There are things said about health benefits of cropped ears (fewer ear infections, for example) but I'm not sure they are really anything more than apocryphal. But like GK said....they need to be cropped NOW if you decide that's what you want. The window for cropping is 7-12 weeks old, very much the earlier the better. If they are cropped after that, it is much harder to get them to stand properly; sometimes they never will.

It can be very hard to find an experienced vet to do your cropping, and posting is rather of a pain. If you really don't care that much one way or the other, you might want to go ahead and leave them alone. Take a look at this thread to get familiar with what you want in a cropping vet https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html and this one to see what is involved in posting ears properly https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html.

I'm in the Springs....if you do get your pup's ears cropped and would like a little tutorial or run into problems posting, I'd be glad to help if you can get within shouting distance of me.
I see now that the @Mel rod was a reference to you, as before I thought it was a reference to a Vet in CO Springs. Thank you for your help also. I'll take a look at the link you offered and make a quick decision. CO Springs is a hike for me and being in Fort Collins, I'm not sure I'd get down there just based on time availability but that is very gracious of you to offer and if I do go in the cropping direction, I may end up reaching out.

I've heard the same about the difficulties of finding an experienced Vet to help. From what I understand, Vet community has transitioned to more of a "no ear cropping" position. The availability, or lack thereof, may very well be the determining factor in our decision.

Appreciate your response!
Tom
Moretti is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moretti For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (07-24-2018), melbrod (07-24-2018)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
TT
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Moretti
Titles: Princess #2 of the home
Dogs Age: 10 Weeks
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Moretti's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
IMO cropping ears depends on your personal preference......there are many articles written about dogs hearing better ..but they already have excellent hearing.....then it was said ...cropped =less ear infections...but now if we are taking care of our pets properly that not so much of an issue like it was in the old days.......so my thoughts are this :
As you look at a Dobe with natural ears they are very very cute......and those ears are so soft .......so opting for natural ears....this makes it easy... as you are dealing with a new baby and many other new things to learn as a puppy parent.

Then when you look at PICs of cropped ears ..also very nice.......but alot of hard work goes into posting ears ....alot of new members sign up on this forum on the verge of crying because they have never posted before......so they do not know what they are doing and get frustrated.....but through this forum.....no problems...all of us can help...you just need to be prepared to do the hard work.....read some of the different posts regarding posting concerns.......you will see that you will get through it but its not as easy as natural ears......

So to crop or not......it depends what you prefer as far as how you want your dog to "look" and how devoted you are to posting (it can be hard work ,yet some dogs post very easily but it can take you into 6 to 8 months . Sometimes even longer for proper posting.

As far as natural ears.......that's the easiest of course and will allow you to move right onto proper puppy manners. Never to young to start with training at home.....then classes once all the puppy shots are completed and vet approved.

Welcome to our forum......look forward to more posts from you.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the post. It's clear that there is some education I'm needing to properly understand and manage the posting. That's part of what I was going to talk to the Vet about. I'll reach out to an experienced Vet and see what I'm getting into with the propping. My wife may just end of getting what she wants here...lol.

Thanks for the welcome and insight and I hope you have a great rest of the week!
Tom
Moretti is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Moretti For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (07-24-2018)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Ace's Human
 
Chesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 451
Location: Maryland
Dogs Name: Vom Haus NY Dobermans Ace's Wild
Titles: CGC, TKN

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Chesa's Gallery
Thanks: 452
Thanked 952 Times in 317 Posts
                     
Tom, I will say the following:

My boyfriend and I preferred the look of cropped ears, but had zero knowledge about cropping/posting. Luckily our breeder handled the cropping portion.

I had zero interactions with Dobermans at all prior to purchasing my Ace, and had even less knowledge of what went into posting.

Doing my due diligence, I learned a lot from this forum on how to post, and Dobebug is one of the most helpful people I have been able to speak with.

As a first timer, I really didn't find posting too overwhelming. We went through some issues in the beginning, but I was able to come to this board and get it sorted out. The biggest thing is being consistent and not allowing the ears to stay unposted for any amount of time. But you should also allow for proper healing time after the surgery. I used the Backer Rod Method and it has worked like a dream with Ace. I followed the steps from the very beginning, and we never ran into any pockets and only had to make minor adjustments for sores.

Please don't be deterred by the amount of work that goes into posting. I have found it worth it. Ace is now 7mo's old and one ear is 100% done (down for 10 days without any drooping whatsoever.). His other ear is posted again because Breathe Right Strips didn't work out for us, and he had minor drooping after 7 days. So we will post his one ear through August, and try again.

Chesa is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chesa For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (07-24-2018), melbrod (07-24-2018)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Alpha
 
CRDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,220
Location: Costa Rica
Dogs Name: Ziva
Dogs Age: 6-11-2014
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit CRDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 2,371 Times in 950 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Click here to find out how CRDobe became a supporter
As others have said you have very little time left to find an experienced ear crop vet who can get you in. To me there are few things worse than a poorly done crop that you have to look at every day.
CRDobe is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CRDobe For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (07-24-2018), melbrod (07-24-2018)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,429
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,203
Thanked 57,716 Times in 15,740 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Let me just say that if you are going to crop your pup's ears, please be committed to having a quality cropper do it. That typically means it's not cheap, it probably won't be nearby, and yes, posting ears can be a hassle - you change ear posts every 3 or 4 days. Some puppies ears may be done posting at 6 or 7 months old, some may be in posts for a year or so. If you're going to do it, you need to commit to doing it RIGHT. We've seen far too many horror stories on here of poor quality cropping. I personally prefer a beautiful crop, but I'd MUCH prefer someone leave their puppy's ears natural than to have them poorly cropped.

Just my two cents. Many croppers can't get you in quickly, so if you want to do it you probably need to make phone calls right now Please keep us in the loop...we'd love to see pics of your pup!


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
CRDobe (07-24-2018), falnfenix (07-25-2018), LadyDi (07-24-2018), melbrod (07-24-2018), Rosemary (07-24-2018)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome