Dobermans "Velcro Dogs"? - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
New member introduction If you are a new member to www.Dobermantalk.com please say Hi

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Dobermans "Velcro Dogs"?

Hello everyone! I am new to the breed and will be getting my first pup this July. I have been researching the breed and found that some people refer to the Doberman as a "Velcro Dog". Just wondering what exactly does this mean, and are most Dobermans like this? Are your Dobie's velcro dogs?
dobelover123 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Alpha
 
natwilson35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 279
Location: Ohio
Dogs Name: Damien (RIP), Duke and Asher
Dogs Age: 7 years and 1 1/2 years
Gallery Pics: 8
Visit natwilson35's Gallery
Thanks: 192
Thanked 231 Times in 148 Posts
Images: 8
                 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobelover123 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to the breed and will be getting my first pup this July. I have been researching the breed and found that some people refer to the Doberman as a "Velcro Dog". Just wondering what exactly does this mean, and are most Dobermans like this? Are your Dobie's velcro dogs?
Congrats on becoming a new dobie owner soon. "Velcro Dog" means that they will stick to you like glue, yes even take trips with you to the bathroom. Dobermans need to be with their humans and I've never been around one that doesn't. My 12 year old that I just recently lost was, my 6 year old now is hopelessly a momma's boy, and my 15 week old puppy already will adjust himself if he's on the couch with me to make sure that he's got at least one paw touching me. It's great and that's just one of the things that I love about this breed. Best wishes to you.
natwilson35 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to natwilson35 For This Useful Post:
lolonurse (05-05-2009), melbrod (05-05-2009)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,405
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dogs Name: Stormy (Dobe rescue), Sydney(Breeder rehome)
Titles: ADD, FAT
Dogs Age: 12,7
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit EmilyB's Gallery
Thanks: 8,805
Thanked 13,906 Times in 4,921 Posts
                     
This means that your average doberman likes to be joined to you at the hip, not wanting you out of sight for long. Mine are very much so, I never am alone in a room for long, including the bathroom, where they like to kiss me and tell me what a good, potty-trained mommy I am.
EmilyB is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EmilyB For This Useful Post:
dobeman01 (05-05-2009), lolonurse (05-05-2009), melbrod (05-05-2009), tinat2004 (05-05-2009), tranquility (05-04-2009)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwilson35 View Post
Congrats on becoming a new dobie owner soon. "Velcro Dog" means that they will stick to you like glue, yes even take trips with you to the bathroom. Dobermans need to be with their humans and I've never been around one that doesn't. My 12 year old that I just recently lost was, my 6 year old now is hopelessly a momma's boy, and my 15 week old puppy already will adjust himself if he's on the couch with me to make sure that he's got at least one paw touching me. It's great and that's just one of the things that I love about this breed. Best wishes to you.
Thank you I appreciate the info!!!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
This means that your average doberman likes to be joined to you at the hip, not wanting you out of sight for long. Mine are very much so, I never am alone in a room for long, including the bathroom, where they like to kiss me and tell me what a good, potty-trained mommy I am.
Very funny, I think that is a very cute aspect of the breed!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Alpha
 
dobelover8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 456
Location: CT
Dogs Name: Bronson
Dogs Age: 4/07/09
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover8's Gallery
Thanks: 295
Thanked 293 Times in 242 Posts
                   
Hi there. July... bet you can't wait. I'm sure you will be very happy that you've chosen this breed. They are so loving and loyal and yes, will want to be near you or touching you all the time. Once you've owned a dobe, you'll always want a dobe. Best of luck with your puppy. Enjoy.
dobelover8 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Alpha
 
Dobs4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,246
Location: Missouri
Dogs Name: Gunner, Eika, Ayla, Shrock...
Titles: Intl CH, BH, CD, T1, OB3, WAC, ATT, ATTS,
Dogs Age: 5,4, 3, 15 mos
Gallery Pics: 5
Visit Dobs4ever's Gallery
Thanks: 1,491
Thanked 5,067 Times in 2,303 Posts
Images: 5
                     
Velcro dogs

Welcome to DT and yes they are velcro. Dobermans are the only breed that was bred to serve man not herd some other animal. This gives them a unique quality and makes them the cadillac of dogs. They will follow you everywhere hence velcro they stick to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobelover123 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to the breed and will be getting my first pup this July. I have been researching the breed and found that some people refer to the Doberman as a "Velcro Dog". Just wondering what exactly does this mean, and are most Dobermans like this? Are your Dobie's velcro dogs?

Dobs4ever -
J Bar S Dobermans - Where Dobermans RULE!!!
Dobs4ever is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dobs4ever For This Useful Post:
dobeman01 (05-05-2009)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobelover8 View Post
Hi there. July... bet you can't wait. I'm sure you will be very happy that you've chosen this breed. They are so loving and loyal and yes, will want to be near you or touching you all the time. Once you've owned a dobe, you'll always want a dobe. Best of luck with your puppy. Enjoy.
Your right I can't wait! This will be me and my husbands first puppy. We don't have any kids yet, so this little boy will be like one!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs4ever View Post
Welcome to DT and yes they are velcro. Dobermans are the only breed that was bred to serve man not herd some other animal. This gives them a unique quality and makes them the cadillac of dogs. They will follow you everywhere hence velcro they stick to you.
Awesome! Thank you for the reply!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Alpha
 
dobby317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 207
Location: North Carolina
Dogs Name: Dobby Bindi, Jericho, Blaze and Srappy
Dogs Age: 6yrs 2 yrs and 1 year old
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit dobby317's Gallery
Thanks: 113
Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
Images: 2
             
Congrats on becoming a new owner of the doberman breed. I have 5 never a dull moment. One of them is ok as long as she can check on you and she will go back to the couch and the 3 pups well they take turns on going to the bathroom with you. Good luck when you get your puppy.
dobby317 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dobby317 For This Useful Post:
dobelover123 (05-04-2009)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
sadder but wiser girl
 
lolonurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,688
Location: Dog Canyon
Dogs Name: Odie & Reyna; RIP precious Annie; RIP beloved Alex & Melody, Rocky baby & darling Willie
Titles: Annie - my angel; Odie - golden boy; Reyna - fruit bat
Dogs Age: b 1/13/13; b 3/13/14; b 7/10/09 - d 1/4/16
Gallery Pics: 66
Visit lolonurse's Gallery
Thanks: 26,387
Thanked 22,609 Times in 6,646 Posts
Images: 66
                     
Click here to find out how lolonurse became a supporter
Hi - Yes, this is definitely a breed for those who are not needing "personal space" - because you won't have any! They are so loving, and want to be part of everything, whether weeding, reading, driving, sleeping... some snore, and don't be alarmed... they ALL (almost) fart!!!! Dobergas is a legend you won't want to miss! It's an addictive breed, but they need a LOT of your time.


their pawprints in our hearts never fade
lolonurse is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolonurse For This Useful Post:
dobeman01 (05-05-2009), melbrod (05-05-2009)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 233
Location: St. Louis, MO
Dogs Name: Ben & Jade
Dogs Age: 2.5 years, DOB 10.28.08 & Jade 3.5 yo
Gallery Pics: 2
Visit RenPen's Gallery
Thanks: 125
Thanked 191 Times in 97 Posts
Images: 2
               
A good example is when we are at OB class and the trainer is talking, the other dogs sit a little in front of their owners. Ben sits on my foot, lol!
RenPen is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
Location: hawaii
Dogs Name: kele and mana
Titles: "my kids"
Dogs Age: 21mos and 4mos
Gallery Pics: 14
Visit crispy's Gallery
Thanks: 115
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Images: 14
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobelover123 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to the breed and will be getting my first pup this July. I have been researching the breed and found that some people refer to the Doberman as a "Velcro Dog". Just wondering what exactly does this mean, and are most Dobermans like this? Are your Dobie's velcro dogs?
my female always has to be touching me. my male however does his own thing.

SAY WHUT?!
crispy is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Lil Dog
 
Scottish Lass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 53
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Ohio
Dogs Name: Will be Chloe. Will pick her up May 24th.

Gallery Pics: 2
Visit Scottish Lass's Gallery
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Images: 2
 
Welcome to the forum. Just wait until you decide to lay on the floor. Every Doberman I had would lay right into the small of my back.

Cuimhnich na daoine ̣n d'thàinig thu! Gun cuireadh do Chupa thairis le Slainte agus sonas! "
Scottish Lass is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottish Lass For This Useful Post:
dobelover123 (05-05-2009)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Alpha
 
AllinDobes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 866
Location: Indiana
Dogs Name: Diablo; Icon
Dogs Age: 6 years; 5 months
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit AllinDobes's Gallery
Thanks: 655
Thanked 733 Times in 505 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Hello and Welcome from INdiana! Are you getting a male or female puppy?? My Diablo (male) is a big time Velcro dog.....from what I've read on here it appears that males are more so then the females typically.
AllinDobes is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Alpha
 
chootcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,063
Location: Dover DE
Dogs Name: Sharjet Show Stopper - Haley (dobe) Eva (vizsla)
Dogs Age: Haley (2.11) Eva (4.06)
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit chootcher's Gallery
Thanks: 614
Thanked 1,543 Times in 791 Posts
Images: 1
                     
my girl just doesn't want to sleep in my bed - she must be DRAPED over my legs - just in case someone tries to steal my legs during the night.

chootcher is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurgdorf View Post
Hello and Welcome from INdiana! Are you getting a male or female puppy?? My Diablo (male) is a big time Velcro dog.....from what I've read on here it appears that males are more so then the females typically.
Getting a male. I have heard the same thing about the boys too! We'll see how he is, I will of course post photos once I finally get him!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by chootcher View Post
my girl just doesn't want to sleep in my bed - she must be DRAPED over my legs - just in case someone tries to steal my legs during the night.
Sounds so cute!
dobelover123 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
dobelover123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 351
Location: Michigan
Dogs Name: Broly (The Legendary Super Doberman)
Titles: Super Saiyan
Dogs Age: 5/24/2010
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobelover123's Gallery
Thanks: 711
Thanked 305 Times in 148 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolonurse View Post
Hi - Yes, this is definitely a breed for those who are not needing "personal space" - because you won't have any! They are so loving, and want to be part of everything, whether weeding, reading, driving, sleeping... some snore, and don't be alarmed... they ALL (almost) fart!!!! Dobergas is a legend you won't want to miss! It's an addictive breed, but they need a LOT of your time.
Sounds like the dog for me! I have a cat that is like velcro too believe it or not, YES I said cat! He is always up in my business and talks "meows" to me all the time. Can't wait to get my little boy!!!
dobelover123 is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome