Pretty much heartbroken :( - Page 2 - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
General Training & Obedience All training and obedience questions, tips, articles go here

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Lil Dog
 
Kira Mana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Zagreb,Croatia
Dogs Name: Kira Mana
Dogs Age: 4 months
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Kira Mana's Gallery
Thanks: 4
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs4ever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
I agree with you,I'm not sure what MC meant when she said that Kira has bite without provocation, if she meant for redirected aggression then yes. Other than that we had a resource guarding issue with neighbour kid but she didn't bite and as I said when we are out on our walk she either ignores people or sniffs them and looks for food. She never bit anyone and she is around a lot of strangers often. With kids it's the different story, she usually tries to run away, but yes she was reactive a couple of times. In all situations kids were around 6-9 years old (my evaluation). And when looking at pics from her breeder he has a son about that age. Since she came to us terrified of absolutely everything she could have bad experience there, I'm not saying that kid hurt her or something, but since she was there for 4 months I'd definitely expect her not to be that scared of children.
Ok hopefully I am figuring out this quote thing.... What exactly does the breeder say??? Did you ask her if something happened??? It would have to be something pretty terrible to have a puppy behave that way at 4 months unless there is a serious character flaw which I suspect. What breeder would place a puppy with serious issues? They should fix the issue first before letting the puppy go. I would talk to the breeder for sure unless of course now they don't respond which is common with these fly by night breeders. Very sorry for both you and they dog.
Not to write it here, I'll pm you the whole story.
Kira Mana is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,526
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,409
Thanked 58,205 Times in 15,836 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
I agree with you,I'm not sure what MC meant when she said that Kira has bite without provocation, if she meant for redirected aggression then yes. Other than that we had a resource guarding issue with neighbour kid but she didn't bite and as I said when we are out on our walk she either ignores people or sniffs them and looks for food. She never bit anyone and she is around a lot of strangers often. With kids it's the different story, she usually tries to run away, but yes she was reactive a couple of times. In all situations kids were around 6-9 years old (my evaluation). And when looking at pics from her breeder he has a son about that age. Since she came to us terrified of absolutely everything she could have bad experience there, I'm not saying that kid hurt her or something, but since she was there for 4 months I'd definitely expect her not to be that scared of children.
This is what I'm referring to:

4/21/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
Hello guys,
So today happened something quite unusual for my 8 month old dober girl,so she's pretty social and well socialized although she was scared to death of dogs and people before but we mananged to socialize her and now she's one happy girl who just loves to play and interact with other dogs,only times she shows "aggression" is when she's guarding a toy or something and that's nothing alarming,so to go back to the point,today we met a small puppy which wanted to play with my girl,it started jumping around and on my girl and in one moment my girl growled and snaped at little boy,I pulled her and nothing serious happened but it scared me,all other dogs we met later she was fine with,giving kisses and play bows,I don't know did she got scared or considered it as a treat because she is usually the one who starts running away if someone growls no matter how small the dog,sorry for such a long post but I don't know if I should get worried or not.
9/15/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 13 month old female dobe named Kira who is pretty fearful,I suspect she completely missed critical socialization period.We got her when she was 3.5 months old and she was afraid of everything,she attacked dogs out of fear,we managed to get her used to everyday life,she goes everywhere with us and gets plenty of socialization everyday,she adores dogs now (puppies not so much,but we're working on it).Her biggest problem are people,she absolutely loves everyone in our family,but is shy of strangers,it is fine if they don't pay attention to her.Today we were waiting for an elevator and there was a mother with a little girl.Kira wanted to sniff them and I asked if that is fine and she said yes,everything was fine until the little girl tried to pet Kira,first time she went straight over her head and Kira backed down as much as she could,I then said she is afraid,but little girl didn't care much she kept invading Kira's personal space so Kira snapped the air,she could easily bite if she wanted,but she fortunately didn't.I think Kira's reaction is bad and shouldn't be tolerated,but again she was afraid and couldn't escape.We have an appointment with the only certified behaviourist in my country,but in the meantime I want to hear your opinions.I'd hate if she couldn't go to the city and malls with me
12/23/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
Hi everyone
I haven't posted in a while,but today I had an incident on our daily walk which I would like to discuss here.Kira is now 17 months old,since my last thread I contacted behaviourist,she gave us some great tips and what to look out for.Up until today I was so proud of Kira,she became better with people (adults),she will even approach them on her own and interact,at home and with everyone she knows is great,loving and affectionate,dream dog really.I started doing more obedience with her,she also gets plenty of exercise.To get to the point,today when we walked home from our walk a group of kids walked on the same sideway.They were usual kids,laughing and being "goofy",Kira minded her own business and just as we were passing next to them she lunged and acted pretty aggressive.Although I'm more keen believing it is fear rather than aggression.Luckily she was on a short leash so I managed to pull her as fast I could.The moment kids passed she acted normal towards adults.Usually she couldn't care less about people passing next to us whether they walk,run,bike or whatever.She came to us fearful and unsocialized.I made sure to expose her to everything as much as I could but I guess I couldn't make up for the lack of early socialization.She is usually fearful around kids and some people if she met them for the first time,but she rather runs away than acts aggressive.I tend to keep things under her threshold and remove her from the situation if it is stressful for her,but today she was fine until it quickly escalated.I will contact my behaviourist again,but as holidays are here it will have to wait for a while.
Bold mine. Now, please...THIS is why I am telling you to take your dog's behavior seriously. Again, I do NOT think you are seeing her issues as clearly as you need to. She is just hitting maturity. Her behavior is only likely to escalate. I have not quoted the posts you've made about her aggression toward other dogs, but I could.

Please, PLEASE do not continue to minimize these issues. I AM NOT BLAMING YOU FOR THEM, I AM MERELY SAYING YOU NEED TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY. She clearly came to you with temperament deficiencies - it is clear from your very first post. However, continuing to put her in situations where she is a risk to people is dangerous.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Dobe_Mom (02-06-2017), jeitzen (02-06-2017), Rosemary (02-05-2017)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Alpha
 
Dobs4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,246
Location: Missouri
Dogs Name: Gunner, Eika, Ayla, Shrock...
Titles: Intl CH, BH, CD, T1, OB3, WAC, ATT, ATTS,
Dogs Age: 5,4, 3, 15 mos
Gallery Pics: 5
Visit Dobs4ever's Gallery
Thanks: 1,491
Thanked 5,067 Times in 2,303 Posts
Images: 5
                     
MC I agree 100% with your concern, I agree the dog is dangerous as it could escalate to an actual bite, however, the above are not bites but very undesirable behavior. A bite takes it to a whole new level and in reading above all were provoked. I agree I think Kira needs some serious help and not just off and on but serious long term regular help. I believe that this breeder produced a faulty temperament and then passed the problem on to an unsuspecting caring person who is now doing their best to deal with it. I believe without the correct help the dog is a huge liability at this point and it is better to act before there is a terrible accident rather than after. The warnings are there.

At some point you have to call it. I am not sure they are there yet but I do agree they must get serious help and I am not convince nor have I ever been impressed with a behaviorist working with dominant breed dogs. Most of them do not have the correct training as most of it came from a book. I do not believe this dog should be trusted on any level.

Dobs4ever -
J Bar S Dobermans - Where Dobermans RULE!!!
Dobs4ever is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,526
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,409
Thanked 58,205 Times in 15,836 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs4ever View Post
MC I agree 100% with your concern, I agree the dog is dangerous as it could escalate to an actual bite, however, the above are not bites but very undesirable behavior. A bite takes it to a whole new level and in reading above all were provoked. I agree I think Kira needs some serious help and not just off and on but serious long term regular help. I believe that this breeder produced a faulty temperament and then passed the problem on to an unsuspecting caring person who is now doing their best to deal with it. I believe without the correct help the dog is a huge liability at this point and it is better to act before there is a terrible accident rather than after. The warnings are there.

At some point you have to call it. I am not sure they are there yet but I do agree they must get serious help and I am not convince nor have I ever been impressed with a behaviorist working with dominant breed dogs. Most of them do not have the correct training as most of it came from a book. I do not believe this dog should be trusted on any level.
Unfortunately, the OP doesn't live in the US and isn't in a place where I think we could refer her to anyone. I certainly won't tell anyone what to do, but I would not ever put this girl in a position where she can be a risk, especially since she reacts to children. Just wanted to be clear why I recommended she wear a basket muzzle in public.
Dobs4ever likes this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit rbm32's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
Thank your for you response. Yes other than redirection she is never aggressive with me, I understand that she probably didn't realize what she was doing. I constantly manage and supervise her interaction with other dogs and work hard with her every day. I'm definitely not giving up, I also hope our behaviourist will help improve the situation. She was never an easy dog, but because of it I learn how to be a better owner. Thanks for encouragement:blush:
Sure thing Well said, it sounds like you are a great dog owner. I wish you and your girl the best of luck.
rbm32 is offline  
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Lil Dog
 
Kira Mana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Zagreb,Croatia
Dogs Name: Kira Mana
Dogs Age: 4 months
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Kira Mana's Gallery
Thanks: 4
Thanked 28 Times in 15 Posts
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Mana View Post
Thank your for you response. Yes other than redirection she is never aggressive with me, I understand that she probably didn't realize what she was doing. I constantly manage and supervise her interaction with other dogs and work hard with her every day. I'm definitely not giving up, I also hope our behaviourist will help improve the situation. She was never an easy dog, but because of it I learn how to be a better owner. Thanks for encouragement:blush:
Sure thing Well said, it sounds like you are a great dog owner. I wish you and your girl the best of luck.
Thank you very much:blush:
Kira Mana is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome