Does Kelly really weigh 90 pounds? How old is she now? 90 pounds is pretty hefty for a bitch--has she had her thyroid checked lately...I know a couple of people weren't really aware that their girls were weighing more than they should until their vets mentioned it to them
Toad who was a big Dobe--28.5 inches, for most of his adult life weighed 85 pounds--he was pretty heavy boned as well.
Yes & Thks AuntBug - Kelly
is on the heavy side, and strong muscle like a Tom Boy.
- she is on a special Low Fat / High Carb diet...last 1.5 years
- since puppy bouts of soft stools...on and off first 5 years
- mainly on Orijen Regional Red Meat with a meat protein of 43%, was taxing her Liver
Amazing Vet of 40 years and a Dobe & Horse lover...finally was the one, to properly diagnose her condition.
- we spent C$800, to get to the bottom of this...with extensive full panel blood works
Now she eats...
a) Royal Canin Gastro-intentinal Vet kibble / $165 per 25# bag Canadian
- feeding guide = 6.0 cups per 100# dog // so 90# dog = 5.4 cups recommended
========================= So this is what Kelly eats, 2x per day...each meal consists of:
a) Royal Canin Gastro-intentinal Vet kibble - 1.0 cups of dry kibble @ 20% Protein Max.
b) Moms Vet approved Home-made Low Fat/High Carb recipe
- of cooked chicken breast / white fish / ground beef / rice &/or pasta / carrots / spinach / etc...varies slightly (you get the idea)
- this home cooked meat/veggy-stew
is measured out in 2/3rd of a cup
- per serving Every day...her dry intake has been cut by 63% of feeding chart & her kibble is mixed with a homemade Low Fat supplement...in limited quantity.
- KEL only gets 2 cups of dry and 1.5 cups of homemade...plus a few dehydrated Liver bites (100% Liver, zero other ingredients)
While I would love to see her loose 7-10 pounds, I'm afraid...she is far from being overfeed. >> and her High Protein has been cut from 43% to 20% max.
(1.5 years ago)