HELP! first ear cropping - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By melbrod
  • 1 Post By Vazquezdobie
  • 1 Post By Vazquezdobie
  • 2 Post By ECIN
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Vazquezdobie's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
 
Exclamation HELP! first ear cropping

Hello all!
I am new to this site, I have not formally introduced myself, kind of just been observing. We have a 10 week old Dobie girl named Lady and a 16-month-old Dobie boy named Luka that we just got a couple of months ago. I have never been through the ear crop process, Lady just got her ears cropped on Monday. She had a cone on but I took it off today because she honestly seemed very depressed and I noticed the cone was pushing her ears forward. I got Dermoplast pain and itch relief spray and also the antibacterial spray. My question is what is the best thing to do to handle her ears from getting injured etc. also there is like cotton on the sides of herb ears covering the stitches can I take that off for the ears to breathe better? and is it normal for spots to bleed on her ear, she has not pulled any stitches out and it was just a small part that has some blood but not like a lot. please let me know your opinions and suggestions.
ps. even with the cone on, she would constantly try to rub her ears on the floor.




Last edited by Vazquezdobie; 11-20-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Vazquezdobie is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Alpha
 
LadyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,661
Location: Florida
Dogs Name: Hoss
Titles: Proud European Doberman
Dogs Age: 3
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit LadyDi's Gallery
Thanks: 28,309
Thanked 11,394 Times in 3,903 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Click here to find out how LadyDi became a supporter
Welcome to our little world! LOL
Hold tight....we have a lot of folks that know a lot about posting.
Welcome from Florida!

Hoss
LadyDi is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,160
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 67,651
Thanked 56,853 Times in 17,967 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
Hi! Welcome to DT from Colorado!!

Of course, all I have to go on is what you've said and looking at your picture, but as far as I can tell, everything is normal for you guys.

It is OK to take off the cone; you can just let her ears dangle. Or you can tape them tip to tip over the top of her head if you'd like...just don't put any tape across an open cut area.

I think I would leave the cotton in place if it is just ordinary cotton or gauze---so long as there is no adhesive, latex or other non-breathable material in it. But if it is just loose wadding, I would think it would be OK; I would hesitate to pull it off if it is stuck to the stitches because I wouldn't want to pull off any scabs she's got going. I would probably peel off what I could to make the wadding thinner, but again, try my hardest not to disturb any scabs. It's really best to leave them alone and let them heal on their own; you don't even have to put any ointment or antibiotic spray, etc on them.

Keep an eye on it though...if you start seeing goopy stuff like a stinky discharge, or red irritated-looking swelling, she could be developing an infection and might need a vet visit if you don't see improvement within a day or so.

To a limited extent, it's even OK for her to rub her ears or scratch at them a bit, so long as you're not seeing any real damage to the stitched area. Usually when a puppy does that, she'll quickly learn it HURTS if she messes with it, and she'll leave it alone.

Check out this thread for a bit of info about handling newly cropped ears: https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html
There are also a couple of threads referenced at the bottom of that first post you might want to glance at. You're not ready to start posting at all--her stitches need to be out and her ears healed with no scabs or open areas (usually by about 6 or 7 days after the stitches are removed), but you can at least familiarize yourself with the posting method we recommend and start to lay in your supplies.

Again, welcome to DT. I love your pictures--they're both cute-looking little people. Stick around, ask questions, tell stories (especially the naughty puppy ones--misery loves company and we've all been there before). AND post more pictures.
dobebug, ECIN and LadyDi like this.
melbrod is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (11-21-2019), dobebug (11-21-2019), LadyDi (11-21-2019), yuki_cos (11-21-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Vazquezdobie's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
 
Thanks for the warm welcome! we are from SoCal
LadyDi likes this.
Vazquezdobie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vazquezdobie For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (11-21-2019)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Vazquezdobie's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrod View Post
Hi! Welcome to DT from Colorado!!

Of course, all I have to go on is what you've said and looking at your picture, but as far as I can tell, everything is normal for you guys.

It is OK to take off the cone; you can just let her ears dangle. Or you can tape them tip to tip over the top of her head if you'd like...just don't put any tape across an open cut area.

I think I would leave the cotton in place if it is just ordinary cotton or gauze---so long as there is no adhesive, latex or other non-breathable material in it. But if it is just loose wadding, I would think it would be OK; I would hesitate to pull it off if it is stuck to the stitches because I wouldn't want to pull off any scabs she's got going. I would probably peel off what I could to make the wadding thinner, but again, try my hardest not to disturb any scabs. It's really best to leave them alone and let them heal on their own; you don't even have to put any ointment or antibiotic spray, etc on them.

Keep an eye on it though...if you start seeing goopy stuff like a stinky discharge, or red irritated-looking swelling, she could be developing an infection and might need a vet visit if you don't see improvement within a day or so.

To a limited extent, it's even OK for her to rub her ears or scratch at them a bit, so long as you're not seeing any real damage to the stitched area. Usually when a puppy does that, she'll quickly learn it HURTS if she messes with it, and she'll leave it alone.

Check out this thread for a bit of info about handling newly cropped ears: https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-s-don-ts.html
There are also a couple of threads referenced at the bottom of that first post you might want to glance at. You're not ready to start posting at all--her stitches need to be out and her ears healed with no scabs or open areas (usually by about 6 or 7 days after the stitches are removed), but you can at least familiarize yourself with the posting method we recommend and start to lay in your supplies.

Again, welcome to DT. I love your pictures--they're both cute-looking little people. Stick around, ask questions, tell stories (especially the naughty puppy ones--misery loves company and we've all been there before). AND post more pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions! also i meant cone like as in the one around her neck i took off not her cone on the head LOL
LadyDi likes this.
Vazquezdobie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vazquezdobie For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (11-21-2019)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Alpha
 
ECIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5,568
Location: Indiana
Dogs Name: Kadin aka Mr. Business & Ali
Titles: Blue Ribbon's Every Day
Dogs Age: 2 & 9
Gallery Pics: 346
Visit ECIN's Gallery
Thanks: 14,524
Thanked 18,064 Times in 5,232 Posts
Images: 346
                     
Click here to find out how ECIN became a supporter
Welcome from Indiana

Questions - So who did the cropping ? If the breeder had it done - then I would ask them for help if they are close - and get a few lessons on posting - nothing better than hands on learning .

I do wonder why they were posted up before stitches were taken out ?

I would also advise to keep her nails trimmed - when her ears start to heal - she will want to dig them with her back paws - thoughts little nails can pull out stitches .

like Di said , stick around - lots of great knowledge on here about posting and will help you in the right direction .
Cressrb and LadyDi like this.
ECIN is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECIN For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (11-21-2019), LadyDi (11-21-2019), MeadowCat (11-21-2019), yuki_cos (11-21-2019)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,160
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 67,651
Thanked 56,853 Times in 17,967 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazquezdobie View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! also i meant cone like as in the one around her neck i took off not her cone on the head LOL
Oops.

Yes, we do advise that you not bother with the "cone of shame" after an ear crop, for the very reason you said...it will irritate her ears and push them forward, and basically just be more uncomfortable for her.
melbrod is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (11-21-2019), LadyDi (11-21-2019)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,908

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanks: 11,946
Thanked 23,190 Times in 6,086 Posts
                     
Yes, it's OK to remove the e-collar but the cup that the ears are glued and taped to should stay as long as it will (they tend to fall off about the time the sutures are removed.

The information about when to start posting from Melbrod is right on and ECIN's suggestion about keeping nails short is also spot on--most puppies stop fussing with their ears about the time they rub or scratch at a spot that is still scabby or raw and it hurts--so they stop doing it.

Good luck with this--there are a couple of excellent croppers in SoCal still and I hope it was one of them that did the crop.

dobebug
dobebug is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (11-21-2019), ECIN (11-21-2019), LadyDi (11-21-2019), MeadowCat (11-21-2019), melbrod (11-21-2019)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,767
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 15,008
Thanked 13,560 Times in 4,703 Posts
Images: 9
                     
Hi Vasquez! And welcome to you, Lady and Luka from the Pacific NW....

John
Portland OR
4x4bike ped is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4x4bike ped For This Useful Post:
ECIN (11-21-2019), LadyDi (11-21-2019), melbrod (11-21-2019)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,160
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 67,651
Thanked 56,853 Times in 17,967 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobebug View Post
Yes, it's OK to remove the e-collar but the cup that the ears are glued and taped to should stay as long as it will (they tend to fall off about the time the sutures are removed....

dobebug
I agree, bug; I was a touch unclear in my response, I guess. When I said it was OK to remove the cone, I meant to address the fact that she already had, and to reassure her that she hadn't messed up her puppy's crop job forever.

Last edited by melbrod; 11-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
melbrod is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
ECIN (11-22-2019)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
crop puppy , ear crop , ear crop help , puppy , surgery

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome