Ear Posting- Ears going inward - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Saleenboy818's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
 
Ear Posting- Ears going inward

4 mo dobi with medium crop. Ears are standing very nicely during reposting but when hes REALLY alert or running his ears seem to be really touching and going inward. I have been using the zip tie method but not really sure how to correct this? Any help or advice? I canít really upload video it seems but here are progress pictures when heís not alert theyíre great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56739349_10157469795644575_8134543989903720448_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	110989   Click image for larger version

Name:	56485687_10157469795539575_3235427459969056768_o.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	110993   Click image for larger version

Name:	56644989_10157469795444575_5091374092330729472_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	110995  
Saleenboy818 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Saleenboy818 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-10-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:18 PM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,399
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 2 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 56,837
Thanked 49,626 Times in 16,254 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
Typically, when a dobe's ears lean inward and the tips almost touch, the dog has developed what are called pockets. A pocket is a little sag of the ear where the ear and top of the head meet, which makes the ears sort of fold over the top of the dog's head and tip inward. Pockets typically look their worst when the dog is at maximum alert with his ears held stiff and...well, what should be straight up...but the pockets make the ears tip inward.

We have a tutorial which gives you a little more information how to fix pockets as you post.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-fix-them.html

Having said that, his ears look pretty good to me in your pictures. So you are probably dealing with a relatively mild case--you should be able to fix them fairly easily.

The tutorial the thread maker recommends on the end is a good one to look at to polish your posting skills, but we don't recommend using vet wrap to finish off the job as this poster did because it is VERY easy to get that tape too tight, which can cause major problems.

We have an updated tutorial using the same posting method, which has a little more information and adds a few tweaks for the longer show cropped ear, which is definitely worth watching, if you haven't seen it.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...acker-rod.html
melbrod is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to melbrod For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-10-2019)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 PM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,173
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 12,573
Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,119 Posts
Images: 9
                     
Hi Saleen !

Please tell me that you are into performance autos...

So... If your boy's ears tip in a at alert, at 4 months, he is probably developing what is known as "pockets". Very common and easily correctible.

Please read member greenkouki's extremely well written visual tutorial from start to finish.

It includes a "fix" for ear pockets using what are known as "bumpers".

Here is the link: https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...acker-rod.html

I am sure that others who have dealt with ear pockets will chime in.

BTW... Handsome dog you have there.

John
Portland OR

Edit to say: Darn! Mel the woman who never sleeps (like me),beats me to the response! LOL

Last edited by 4x4bike ped; 04-09-2019 at 11:22 PM.
4x4bike ped is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4bike ped For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-10-2019), melbrod (04-10-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Saleenboy818's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
 
Thanks guys, and yes my favorite / dream car is a Mustang Saleenboy!

I am having same problem. Iíve been adding bumpers for the last 2 weeks with the zip tie method. One ear got much better but i dont think this is tipping in because of pockets but its when hes like flexing his muscles usually like when running towards something. Hereís a picture from the back trying to get him to pull so you can see the ears flex inwards. Unposted they look great they dont fall they stand Perfect straight up and 10/2 when heís relaxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EA8BC8A-381F-45FA-AA14-77366ED992C6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	111007   Click image for larger version

Name:	4260EDDA-A452-4077-82A6-14EB393D0804.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	111009  
Saleenboy818 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Saleenboy818 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-11-2019)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,173
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 12,573
Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,119 Posts
Images: 9
                     
Hi Saleen;

Two weeks is really nothing in the greater scheme of posting a Dobe's pups ears.

Keep it (them) up! LOL Pun intended.

Fast cars/trucks:

Never been fond of Fords LOL

Owned a few, Not any more... Now 1964 GTO Tri-power with a 4 speed Muncie and and 3:55's in the back)

Nice car, but could not hold a candle to my 2000 Trans Am WS6 with an LSI motor and 6 speed Corvette Transmission and a 4:10 rear end .

Or my 2005 SRT/10 Ram Viper truck. 8.3 liter 10 cylinder running about 510 hp and (and an under estimated 500 lb./ft torque).

My 2013 Ram R/T is pushing 425 hp. Not a racer, but darn close.

So...Just kidding (not about the rigs). Saleen and Roush build wonderful motors.

Keep posting your baby's ears and save for your dream car!

John
Portland OR

Last edited by 4x4bike ped; 04-10-2019 at 11:43 PM.
4x4bike ped is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4bike ped For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-11-2019)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Saleenboy818's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
 
HAHAHAHA, FORD= found on road dead LOL they suck but for some reason love me a 96 saleenboy s281

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrod View Post
Typically, when a dobe's ears lean inward and the tips almost touch, the dog has developed what are called pockets. A pocket is a little sag of the ear where the ear and top of the head meet, which makes the ears sort of fold over the top of the dog's head and tip inward. Pockets typically look their worst when the dog is at maximum alert with his ears held stiff and...well, what should be straight up...but the pockets make the ears tip inward.

We have a tutorial which gives you a little more information how to fix pockets as you post.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...-fix-them.html

Having said that, his ears look pretty good to me in your pictures. So you are probably dealing with a relatively mild case--you should be able to fix them fairly easily.

The tutorial the thread maker recommends on the end is a good one to look at to polish your posting skills, but we don't recommend using vet wrap to finish off the job as this poster did because it is VERY easy to get that tape too tight, which can cause major problems.

We have an updated tutorial using the same posting method, which has a little more information and adds a few tweaks for the longer show cropped ear, which is definitely worth watching, if you haven't seen it.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...acker-rod.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bike ped View Post
Hi Saleen;

Two weeks is really nothing in the greater scheme of posting a Dobe's pups ears.

Keep it (them) up! LOL Pun intended.

Fast cars/trucks:

Never been fond of Fords LOL

Owned a few, Not any more... Now 1964 GTO Tri-power with a 4 speed Muncie and and 3:55's in the back)

Nice car, but could not hold a candle to my 2000 Trans Am WS6 with an LSI motor and 6 speed Corvette Transmission and a 4:10 rear end .

Or my 2005 SRT/10 Ram Viper truck. 8.3 liter 10 cylinder running about 510 hp and (and an under estimated 500 lb./ft torque).

My 2013 Ram R/T is pushing 425 hp. Not a racer, but darn close.

So...Just kidding (not about the rigs). Saleen and Roush build wonderful motors.

Keep posting your baby's ears and save for your dream car!

John
Portland OR
Saleenboy818 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Saleenboy818 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-11-2019)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,685
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 19,382
Thanked 29,727 Times in 9,663 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Just my opinion but they look fine, I don't see any pockets. I would continue to post though. The ears will often come together when they have their head down and they are pulling on leash like that...
greenkouki is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (04-11-2019)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,173
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 12,573
Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,119 Posts
Images: 9
                     
FORD... Two schools of thought:

First On Race Day

Fix Or Repair Daily

LOL

John
Portland OR
4x4bike ped is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4bike ped For This Useful Post:
melbrod (04-11-2019)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Alpha
 
LadyDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,833
Location: Florida
Dogs Name: Hoss
Titles: no
Dogs Age: 2
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit LadyDi's Gallery
Thanks: 14,475
Thanked 5,243 Times in 2,211 Posts
Images: 3
                     
Click here to find out how LadyDi became a supporter
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bike ped View Post
FORD... Two schools of thought:

First On Race Day

Fix Or Repair Daily

LOL

John
Portland OR
4x4- you are the reason they put instructions on shampoo!

Hoss
LadyDi is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyDi For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (04-11-2019), melbrod (04-11-2019)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,173
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 12,573
Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,119 Posts
Images: 9
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
4x4- you are the reason they put instructions on shampoo!
Yup! And proud to be of service....

J.
4x4bike ped is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4bike ped For This Useful Post:
melbrod (04-11-2019)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome