Pockets? - Page 2 - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 17

Gallery Pics: 1
Visit TXDobermanMama's Gallery
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Images: 1
 
With my boy Doberman who will be 2 in October, I had to post his ears until he was pretty close to 1 year old.. I only used cardboard tampons for posts.. We went through some weird phases.. Early on they would partially stand up and flop down on the ends.. Then the next phase they were tilted inwards touching each other.. I could never work the crease completely out of his right ear.. For the most part he holds them up and alert but at times he gets lazy with them.. Then we have our female who is 4 months old.. Our vet removed her posts after 2 weeks to take out her stitches and she's not needed posting since.. However our vet has me massage her ears up and to the front.. She's also got that annoying crease in one of her ears.. In all I think it's pretty normal to go through some funky ear phases. I still massage my oldest ears I think he just loves the way it feels and has come to expect it.. He can be demanding at times too.. Nudging my hand until I massage his ears..

Last edited by TXDobermanMama; 07-19-2015 at 11:20 PM.
TXDobermanMama is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 AM
Big Lil pup
 
4x4bike ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5,875
Location: Portland, OR
Dogs Name: Foxfire's The Real McCoy (McCoy)
Titles: Pet of the Year
Dogs Age: DOB 9/12/14
Gallery Pics: 9
Visit 4x4bike ped's Gallery
Thanks: 15,652
Thanked 14,063 Times in 4,810 Posts
Images: 9
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDobermanMama View Post
With my boy Doberman who will be 2 in October, I had to post his ears until he was pretty close to 1 year old.. I only used cardboard tampons for posts.. We went through some weird phases.. Early on they would partially stand up and flop down on the ends.. Then the next phase they were tilted inwards touching each other.. I could never work the crease completely out of his right ear.. For the most part he holds them up and alert but at times he gets lazy with them.. Then we have our female who is 4 months old.. Our vet removed her posts after 2 weeks to take out her stitches and she's not needed posting since.. However our vet has me massage her ears up and to the front.. She's also got that annoying crease in one of her ears.. In all I think it's pretty normal to go through some funky ear phases. I still massage my oldest ears I think he just loves the way it feels and has come to expect it.. He can be demanding at times too.. Nudging my hand until I massage his ears..

Uh.. a little help here folks. Please. Jump in quickly... I am too tired.
4x4bike ped is online now  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Pocket Doberman!
 
TallStef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 165
Location: East Coast
Dogs Name: Starbuck - Fidelis N' Wingate's Lucky Charm
Titles: Nosebiter Extraodinaire
Dogs Age: DOB 3/13/15
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit TallStef's Gallery
Thanks: 328
Thanked 579 Times in 127 Posts
Images: 22
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTalksAll View Post
So beyond frustrated
I'm not sure if it's from when he rolls around and "tries" to pop out his posts or because of the pockets but after a few hours of being posted they completely curve. So I'm using 2x cardboard tampons (one isn't long enough for his crop) and a cotton ball where the pockets are. I start out pulling the ear up & out they are at a perfect 10 & 2. I stretch the ear as I tape up to make sure everything is secure and where it should be. He's a doll & just sits there & waits for me to finish so he can get his yummy treats (and a few in between). They look great for an hour or two & then this.... (plus, the more they curve, the easier they are for him to pop them out)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]


Any ear experts in north/west New Jersey want to meet up & show me their ways.
Starbuck was having that issue with the old method I was using - not enough support. Your posts shouldn't be able to bend. I switched to SizzleDog's blue shop towel, wooden dowel, Zonas tape, and vet wrap method and have been very happy. I'm also using a small bumper. Search Prairie Dobe Companion and ear posting for the tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTalksAll View Post
I let the ears air out for a few days. Last week we had breath right strips with eyelash glue on the tips for 5 days. His ears never fell, even with the weight of the strips.
After I took the strips off, I posted again; backer rod and cotton at the base to push out those pockets. Tips never touched except for when he's running. That's when they touch... not when he's concentrating, but when he's running after a ball.
I took the posts out yesterday and the tips look a bit irritated, so right now he has nothing on his ears. I think it's a combination of taking the strips off & putting tape on it right away (I forgot to shave the hair, but was gentle & used coconut oil to remove the strips) & the fact that he shakes his head a lot.
Now he's holding one ear funny. It's usually when he's between relaxed & alert. When he's running, or alert both ears stand up. When he's fully relaxed; they are both in airplane mode.
I can't post until the irritation goes away. His right ear tends to get more gunky during postings. I cleaned his ears out when I took the posts out & there doesn't seem to be new gunk in there.
Is this normal?
[IMG][/IMG]
Starbuck has one funky ear, too. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty inexperienced, but it looks like the floppy ear needs more posting without a brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDobermanMama View Post
With my boy Doberman who will be 2 in October, I had to post his ears until he was pretty close to 1 year old.. I only used cardboard tampons for posts.. We went through some weird phases.. Early on they would partially stand up and flop down on the ends.. Then the next phase they were tilted inwards touching each other.. I could never work the crease completely out of his right ear.. For the most part he holds them up and alert but at times he gets lazy with them.. Then we have our female who is 4 months old.. Our vet removed her posts after 2 weeks to take out her stitches and she's not needed posting since.. However our vet has me massage her ears up and to the front.. She's also got that annoying crease in one of her ears.. In all I think it's pretty normal to go through some funky ear phases. I still massage my oldest ears I think he just loves the way it feels and has come to expect it.. He can be demanding at times too.. Nudging my hand until I massage his ears..
Massaging ears will not help them stand or remove creases - if it did, my Lab would have had some killer bat ears. The crease you're talking about is because you're not posting her ears, and just like your older dog, it won't go away. Personally I feel like it's wasting a good crop and messing up a dog's ears to not post them as well as you can to try to make sure they look good. I hate posting, but the alternative is a dog with funky ears, and I'd be doing a disservice to my dog by getting a cropped puppy and letting them flop.

I'd ditch the vet's bad advice and trust the combined intellect and experience of an entire forum filled with members who nearly all have varying degrees of experience in posting ears. From your description, she needs posting- even if she has a military crop.
TallStef is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TallStef For This Useful Post:
DTalksAll (07-21-2015)
Advertisement
 
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 17

Gallery Pics: 1
Visit TXDobermanMama's Gallery
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Images: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallStef View Post
Starbuck was having that issue with the old method I was using - not enough support. Your posts shouldn't be able to bend. I switched to SizzleDog's blue shop towel, wooden dowel, Zonas tape, and vet wrap method and have been very happy. I'm also using a small bumper. Search Prairie Dobe Companion and ear posting for the tutorial.



Starbuck has one funky ear, too. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty inexperienced, but it looks like the floppy ear needs more posting without a brace.



Massaging ears will not help them stand or remove creases - if it did, my Lab would have had some killer bat ears. The crease you're talking about is because you're not posting her ears, and just like your older dog, it won't go away. Personally I feel like it's wasting a good crop and messing up a dog's ears to not post them as well as you can to try to make sure they look good. I hate posting, but the alternative is a dog with funky ears, and I'd be doing a disservice to my dog by getting a cropped puppy and letting them flop.

I'd ditch the vet's bad advice and trust the combined intellect and experience of an entire forum filled with members who nearly all have varying degrees of experience in posting ears. From your description, she needs posting- even if she has a military crop.
No need to bash me.. But for what it's worth I will keep your advice in mind! Thanks

Last edited by TXDobermanMama; 07-20-2015 at 10:56 AM.
TXDobermanMama is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Pocket Doberman!
 
TallStef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 165
Location: East Coast
Dogs Name: Starbuck - Fidelis N' Wingate's Lucky Charm
Titles: Nosebiter Extraodinaire
Dogs Age: DOB 3/13/15
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit TallStef's Gallery
Thanks: 328
Thanked 579 Times in 127 Posts
Images: 22
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDobermanMama View Post
No need to bash me.. But for what it's worth I will keep your advice in mind! Thanks
Sorry I didn't mean to come across rude! I was pretty tired by the time I got to that part of the post. I don't me and to be rude to you, but I bet I'd have a fun conversation with your vet if we ever met. :p

Even though I've offended you, and I'm sorry for that, I I hope you read the tutorials on here and post your pup's ears. The advice your vet gave you is terrible. Massaging ears won't help - at all - and I can't believe your vet only wanted you to post for 2wks. That's just not realistic, even with a military crop. My girl is 4months as well, and we are nowhere near being done with posting. Another 3 months at least. Your girl may have a very different crop, but even so, there's no way she's done before she's done teething.

My opinion on cropping is if (general) you are going to do it, do it right. Make the ears look as good as they can. I'm not enjoying this posting process at all, but I am going to do it to the best of my ability. I feel like I owe that to her - why cut up her ears at all if I'm just going to make them worse? Yes, it's a lot of effort and expense and trial and error, but it's worth it.
TallStef is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TallStef For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (07-20-2015), DTalksAll (07-21-2015)
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Bazinga!
 
SieYa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,534
Location: Nb, Canada
Dogs Name: Tank and Sienna
Titles: SD-S-SP, SD-S-SP
Dogs Age: 5, 1
Gallery Pics: 8
Visit SieYa's Gallery
Thanks: 14,659
Thanked 11,747 Times in 3,578 Posts
Images: 8
                     
Send a message via Yahoo to SieYa
While you do have to stretch the ears up, I'm finding myself if I pull too much it is causing the backer rods to curve with the pressure. Problem is there's a fine line between too much and not enough.


I've known no deeper love, than that from my beloved Doberman

Think the crap in your kibble is good? Check it out

http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_pe...edients_2.html
SieYa is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SieYa For This Useful Post:
DTalksAll (07-21-2015)
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Big Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 17

Gallery Pics: 1
Visit TXDobermanMama's Gallery
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Images: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallStef View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to come across rude! I was pretty tired by the time I got to that part of the post. I don't me and to be rude to you, but I bet I'd have a fun conversation with your vet if we ever met. :p

Even though I've offended you, and I'm sorry for that, I I hope you read the tutorials on here and post your pup's ears. The advice your vet gave you is terrible. Massaging ears won't help - at all - and I can't believe your vet only wanted you to post for 2wks. That's just not realistic, even with a military crop. My girl is 4months as well, and we are nowhere near being done with posting. Another 3 months at least. Your girl may have a very different crop, but even so, there's no way she's done before she's done teething.

My opinion on cropping is if (general) you are going to do it, do it right. Make the ears look as good as they can. I'm not enjoying this posting process at all, but I am going to do it to the best of my ability. I feel like I owe that to her - why cut up her ears at all if I'm just going to make them worse? Yes, it's a lot of effort and expense and trial and error, but it's worth it.

Thanks! I understand that sometimes it's hard to convey what you mean in text version and it usually comes off a lot more harsh than its intended..

With my oldest I beleive we did his ears to the best of our ability his cartilage is pretty thin and by the time we stopped posting his ears were constantly irritated..

My pup I will likely post again but currently she's being treated for demodex so after thats under control a bit more I may post again.. Her ears were cropped at 6 weeks of age by the breeder I'd never heard of this before, also she had very bad infection when we got her.. So rather than lose her ears we decided to stop posting.. But I agree I should post a bit longer.. Once again thanks for your advice
TXDobermanMama is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Pocket Doberman!
 
TallStef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 165
Location: East Coast
Dogs Name: Starbuck - Fidelis N' Wingate's Lucky Charm
Titles: Nosebiter Extraodinaire
Dogs Age: DOB 3/13/15
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit TallStef's Gallery
Thanks: 328
Thanked 579 Times in 127 Posts
Images: 22
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDobermanMama View Post
Thanks! I understand that sometimes it's hard to convey what you mean in text version and it usually comes off a lot more harsh than its intended..

With my oldest I beleive we did his ears to the best of our ability his cartilage is pretty thin and by the time we stopped posting his ears were constantly irritated..

My pup I will likely post again but currently she's being treated for demodex so after thats under control a bit more I may post again.. Her ears were cropped at 6 weeks of age by the breeder I'd never heard of this before, also she had very bad infection when we got her.. So rather than lose her ears we decided to stop posting.. But I agree I should post a bit longer.. Once again thanks for your advice
Thanks for understanding. There are times when I mean to be rude, but this definitely wasn't one of them.

I get that. Can't say I'd post if I was dealing with demodex, either. It seems like it might encourage secondary infections. Once she's better, if you don't have a method you like, SizzleDog's method is pretty awesome. And if they're standing and there's only a little crease to iron out, I bet you can move to breathe right strips pretty quickly. I hope she heals well from the mites.
TallStef is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TallStef For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (07-20-2015)
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Big Dog
 
DTalksAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 119
Location: New Jersey
Dogs Name: Kalora's Red Whine "Harch"
Dogs Age: 12/17/2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit DTalksAll's Gallery
Thanks: 334
Thanked 251 Times in 69 Posts
                 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallStef View Post
Starbuck was having that issue with the old method I was using - not enough support. Your posts shouldn't be able to bend. I switched to SizzleDog's blue shop towel, wooden dowel, Zonas tape, and vet wrap method and have been very happy. I'm also using a small bumper. Search Prairie Dobe Companion and ear posting for the tutorial.

Starbuck has one funky ear, too. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty inexperienced, but it looks like the floppy ear needs more posting without a brace.
Thanks, I've been debating trying to get some blue shop towels. Our current method: Bottom of cardboard tampon, 5/8 backer rod placed inside, 3x duct tape, rolled toilet paper cardboard around non tampon part, 1x duct tape. This seems to be working slightly better.

I don't mind the one airplane ear, it's only when he's 1/2 relaxed. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it. When he's alert both go straight up. When he's concentrating, well... the tips slightly touch When he's happy, ohhhh I love the happy flat ears. I can't wait for posting to be over.

It's been a frustrating month for us; either I'm not sticking them in far enough (one ear doesn't seem to be fully cleaned out, and it has less bell) & he knocks them out after a good head shake 2 minutes later. OR they bend after a day or two.

I stopped adding a bumper (cotton ball, 1/2 backer rod did nothing to push at anything). It was just contributing to the curving & knocking out. I did it for over a month & saw no improvements. I still don't actually see or feel any pockets.

& I'm never bridging his ears ever again. We did the first month or two & I think my boyfriend had them too close & that's the reason why the tips are touching. I was against the bridge, but he thought it kept the posts from getting knocked out so quickly. I really wish I put my foot down on that one. We could probably be doing breath right strips now instead of posting.
DTalksAll is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DTalksAll For This Useful Post:
TallStef (07-22-2015)
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Pocket Doberman!
 
TallStef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 165
Location: East Coast
Dogs Name: Starbuck - Fidelis N' Wingate's Lucky Charm
Titles: Nosebiter Extraodinaire
Dogs Age: DOB 3/13/15
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit TallStef's Gallery
Thanks: 328
Thanked 579 Times in 127 Posts
Images: 22
                     
That was my issue with bridging as well. I did it too tightly because I'm inexperienced at this, and her ear tips were touching. Now that they're not bridged, they're standing straight and she's developing strong muscles in her ears to hold them up.
TallStef is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TallStef For This Useful Post:
DTalksAll (07-22-2015)
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Alpha
 
ShelianDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,682
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Dogs Name: Wheeler, Spock, Fame, Whisper, Gritz
Titles: Wheeler - AKC GCH/UKC CH, RO3. Spock - AKC/UKC CH. Fame - AKC/UKC CH.
Dogs Age: Wheeler: 11/13/08 Spock: 07/10/13 Fame: 07/10/13
Gallery Pics: 17
Visit ShelianDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 3,183
Thanked 13,577 Times in 3,444 Posts
Images: 17
                     
Yep normal. To strengthen backer rod, if the duct tape isn't doing it, tape a Popsicle stick onto the backer rod. Just make sure the Popsicle stick does not go into the ear and faces outward, so no contact with ear.


Shelly Wing
SHELIAN DOBERMANS
AKC GCH/UKC CH, RO3 Lyndobe's Wheel of Fortune, NTD "Wheeler"
AKC UKC CH Windsong's Fortune Hunter v Shelian, "Spock"
AKC UKC CH Windsong's Fame N Fortune v Shelian, "Fame"
AKC Ptd/UKC CH Shelian's Fifty Shades of Fame v Windsong, "Shade"
Shelian's A Thousand Words "Whisper"
Shelian's Words of Peace CGC BN CS RN "Olive"
Tolivar's Kiss My Gritz @Shelian v Irongate "Gritz"
www.sheliandobe.com
ShelianDobe is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShelianDobe For This Useful Post:
SieYa (07-22-2015), TallStef (07-26-2015)
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Big Dog
 
DTalksAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 119
Location: New Jersey
Dogs Name: Kalora's Red Whine "Harch"
Dogs Age: 12/17/2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit DTalksAll's Gallery
Thanks: 334
Thanked 251 Times in 69 Posts
                 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelianDobe View Post
Yep normal. To strengthen backer rod, if the duct tape isn't doing it, tape a Popsicle stick onto the backer rod. Just make sure the Popsicle stick does not go into the ear and faces outward, so no contact with ear.
Good idea! The shop towel method with wooden sticks scares the crap out of me! I don't feel comfortable sticking hard, sharp items in my pups ears. He's way too rambunctious.

I think the enforced tampon/backer rod with toilet paper rolls seems to be working. It's been 24 hours & no curving yet
DTalksAll is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Lil Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 58
Location: NC
Dogs Name: Bellacane's Baron Davidoff
Titles: King

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit kingpaul's Gallery
Thanks: 274
Thanked 96 Times in 26 Posts
         
FYI, for me, the black gorilla tape has been much stronger/stiffer than the standard silver duct tape. My boy is 6 months old now, with a long show crop, and I put three wraps of the black gorilla tape. Stays straight for about one week until I change them out.
kingpaul is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kingpaul For This Useful Post:
DTalksAll (07-23-2015)
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Big Dog
 
DTalksAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 119
Location: New Jersey
Dogs Name: Kalora's Red Whine "Harch"
Dogs Age: 12/17/2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit DTalksAll's Gallery
Thanks: 334
Thanked 251 Times in 69 Posts
                 
Still Bending!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These posts were in for just over 24 hours & they are already bending. So much so that when we got back from our walk, one good shake & his right ear popped out (always the right ear )
So this time we used the bottom portion of a cardboard tampon, with 5/8" backer rod smuched into the tampon with cardboard from toilet paper wrapped around the backer rod to help add some stiffness with 2-3x duct tape.

I'm still hesitant to put popsicle sticks in his ears, but it sounds a lot safer than bbq skewers.
He's 7.5 months old. Running out of time for correction.

I'll ask again.. anyone in NJ want to give me a hand? I tried messaging the people on that really old thread about helping people with postings & the two who would be close to me have their mailboxes full. My breeder is over 2 hours away (without traffic).
DTalksAll is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
crop , ears , pockets

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome