New pup - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Doberman Related Chat If your post does not fit into any other category post here.

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nickyb
  • 1 Post By CRDobe
  • 1 Post By CRDobe
  • 1 Post By VZ-Doberman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
Nickyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 312
Location: Boston
Dogs Name: Zoey-Belgian Malinois
Dogs Age: 3 Y/O
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit Nickyb's Gallery
Thanks: 171
Thanked 587 Times in 195 Posts
Images: 1
                     
New pup

Hey ya'll, looking to gather some updated information in regards to purchasing a new doberman puppy in the next year or two. My current dog, Belgian Malinois, I fear is nearing the end of her life and we are going through some serious health issues.

My Malinois has been very exhausting on my wife (bite history towards all men and dog aggression, needs to be managed) and she has been very adamant about not getting another aggressive type dog and honestly, I don't blame her. BUT... she doesnt want a dobie (or any large breed) because they "look" scary. Anything I can do to get her to come around?

Also, any recommendation to breeders in the MA area? I know way back I was looking and Kettle Cove and Marquis Dobes were at the top of the list, is that still the same? Not looking to do any type or sports or protection work with this dog either.
LadyDi likes this.

flickr.com/photos/nickyb210

Zoey- Adopted Maligator on 4/29/12
Princess- PB WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11
Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickyb For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), LadyDi (06-16-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Alpha
 
CRDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,312
Location: Costa Rica
Dogs Name: Ziva
Dogs Age: 6-11-2014
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit CRDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 2,024
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,036 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Click here to find out how CRDobe became a supporter
No help with breeders, as I live outside the US, but in my experience living with a Dobe is very different than living with a Mal.
LadyDi likes this.
CRDobe is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CRDobe For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), LadyDi (06-16-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020), Nickyb (06-16-2020)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
Nickyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 312
Location: Boston
Dogs Name: Zoey-Belgian Malinois
Dogs Age: 3 Y/O
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit Nickyb's Gallery
Thanks: 171
Thanked 587 Times in 195 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDobe View Post
No help with breeders, as I live outside the US, but in my experience living with a Dobe is very different than living with a Mal.
Could you further explain? Would love to tell the wife some differences in the breeds, shes stereotyping the breed because we know one family with a red female that had a bite history.

Also, Pura Vida!

flickr.com/photos/nickyb210

Zoey- Adopted Maligator on 4/29/12
Princess- PB WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11
Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickyb For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,235
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 20,257
Thanked 31,694 Times in 10,190 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Sorry things are not going well for your current family member. I hope that changes. There are a fair number of breeders in the northeast. My suggestion would be to get involved with a breed club in your area and start going to shows and talking with dobe people. You may be able to narrow down what kind of breeder you're after, and if you want a relationship with that person more than just " this person is my breeder". Some people are happy with not having much contact with their breeder, and that's perfectly ok. I would recommend Wildfire dobermans. She probably will not have anything anytime soon though.
greenkouki is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), LadyDi (06-16-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020), Nickyb (06-16-2020)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,658
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,362
Thanked 63,298 Times in 16,938 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyb View Post
Hey ya'll, looking to gather some updated information in regards to purchasing a new doberman puppy in the next year or two. My current dog, Belgian Malinois, I fear is nearing the end of her life and we are going through some serious health issues.

My Malinois has been very exhausting on my wife (bite history towards all men and dog aggression, needs to be managed) and she has been very adamant about not getting another aggressive type dog and honestly, I don't blame her. BUT... she doesnt want a dobie (or any large breed) because they "look" scary. Anything I can do to get her to come around?

Also, any recommendation to breeders in the MA area? I know way back I was looking and Kettle Cove and Marquis Dobes were at the top of the list, is that still the same? Not looking to do any type or sports or protection work with this dog either.

My recommendation is that you take your wife's concerns seriously, in that you don't want to bring in a dog that everyone isn't on board with. So, take the time to make sure that you don't rush into it.

Right now is hard, with shows not happening. But as things improve or loosen up, my recommendation would be to see if your wife is open to going to meet some dogs in person, to get to know Dobermans as a breed. In particular, I'd be wanting to meet Dobermans from the breeders I was considering. There's certainly a variety of temperaments...some are more laid back, some are more sharp. Both breeders you mention are considered to be good breeders, though I have no personal experience with either. I do know that Kettle Cove has placed multiple dogs in homes with kids successfully, which, to me, is generally a good sign of dogs with good temperaments.

In your case, I would recommend trying to meet several dogs (as many as you can) from breeders that I was interested in. You really want to get a good sense of the temperaments.

The more Dobermans you can meet in person, the better idea you get of what Dobermans are like, what lines you like, and your wife will have a better idea of what the breed is like.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (06-16-2020), dax0402 (06-19-2020), ellierose (06-16-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020), Nickyb (06-16-2020)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Alpha
 
CRDobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,312
Location: Costa Rica
Dogs Name: Ziva
Dogs Age: 6-11-2014
Gallery Pics: 4
Visit CRDobe's Gallery
Thanks: 2,024
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,036 Posts
Images: 4
                     
Click here to find out how CRDobe became a supporter
Maybe I've only been around well balanced Dobes but have never known one that is aggressive to people or children. My veterinarian friend has raised and rescued several Mals for rubble work and cadaver work. The were all much more suspicious of people they didn't know and 2 were not good around kids. I loved and admired them but way too much dog for me and the puppies made raising a Dobe seem like a breeze.

I certainly wouldn't consider the Doberman an "aggressive" breed.
dobebug likes this.
CRDobe is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CRDobe For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (06-16-2020), dax0402 (06-19-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Alpha
 
Nickyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 312
Location: Boston
Dogs Name: Zoey-Belgian Malinois
Dogs Age: 3 Y/O
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit Nickyb's Gallery
Thanks: 171
Thanked 587 Times in 195 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
My recommendation is that you take your wife's concerns seriously, in that you don't want to bring in a dog that everyone isn't on board with. So, take the time to make sure that you don't rush into it.

Right now is hard, with shows not happening. But as things improve or loosen up, my recommendation would be to see if your wife is open to going to meet some dogs in person, to get to know Dobermans as a breed. In particular, I'd be wanting to meet Dobermans from the breeders I was considering. There's certainly a variety of temperaments...some are more laid back, some are more sharp. Both breeders you mention are considered to be good breeders, though I have no personal experience with either. I do know that Kettle Cove has placed multiple dogs in homes with kids successfully, which, to me, is generally a good sign of dogs with good temperaments.

In your case, I would recommend trying to meet several dogs (as many as you can) from breeders that I was interested in. You really want to get a good sense of the temperaments.

The more Dobermans you can meet in person, the better idea you get of what Dobermans are like, what lines you like, and your wife will have a better idea of what the breed is like.
She loves dogs, i think even more than I do so i just need to get her in front of some good dobies... which is my problem. The breeders of choice are quite a drive away and she wouldn't be up for driving 4 hours round trip just to look at some dogs. I do have a breeder down the street from us, newenglanddobermans.com but I dont think I would buy a puppy from them. Still would be good to go and meet some dobies though.

flickr.com/photos/nickyb210

Zoey- Adopted Maligator on 4/29/12
Princess- PB WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11
Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickyb For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Alpha
 
VZ-Doberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,875
Dogs Name: Bacchus
Titles: 140 Titles and Awards. AKC #1 PACH Doberman Pinscher 2015.

Gallery Pics: 9
Visit VZ-Doberman's Gallery
Thanks: 10,128
Thanked 17,526 Times in 5,326 Posts
Images: 9
                     
True Doberman temperament is something many people don't know or understand. The dog should access a situation and respond appropriately. They are a working breed and are happiest doing a job with their person.
dobebug likes this.
VZ-Doberman is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VZ-Doberman For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (06-19-2020), dobebug (06-16-2020), melbrod (06-16-2020)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,658
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,362
Thanked 63,298 Times in 16,938 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyb View Post
She loves dogs, i think even more than I do so i just need to get her in front of some good dobies... which is my problem. The breeders of choice are quite a drive away and she wouldn't be up for driving 4 hours round trip just to look at some dogs. I do have a breeder down the street from us, newenglanddobermans.com but I dont think I would buy a puppy from them. Still would be good to go and meet some dobies though.
I would try hard to see if you can find a show or event near you that will have well bred dogs. Dogs from the breeders you like may very well be at those events. Could be agility trials, scentwork, lure coursing, etc. You can go to the AKC page and do a search for events.

Or, contact the breeders you are interested in, and see if they have any dogs from past breedings that have been placed in your area, and if their owners might be willing to meet you. I've met up with people in my area simply to have them meet well bred Dobermans before. Contact your closest DPCA chapter club - see if they have members near you and chat with them. Most chapter club members are more than happy to do a meet up and let you get to know them and their dogs. We are always happy to do breed education!


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
CRDobe (06-16-2020), dax0402 (06-19-2020), VZ-Doberman (06-16-2020)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome