Avoiding the famous sires - Cactus Cash and Lex Luthor - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Doberman Related Chat If your post does not fit into any other category post here.

 7Likes
  • 1 Post By MeadowCat
  • 1 Post By MeadowCat
  • 1 Post By Gretchen_Red
  • 1 Post By MeadowCat
  • 2 Post By Kansadobe
  • 1 Post By Artemis
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 11
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit vargab81's Gallery
Thanks: 8
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
 
Avoiding the famous sires - Cactus Cash and Lex Luthor

Other day I was studying pedigrees of the current stars of the Doberman show world in US and looks like most of them either goes back to Cactus Cash or Lex Luthor. Only found one Gch Element's Rock Star (Ozzy)who do not carry these lines. Do you know other such dogs who are successful but still do not have these famous sires behind them.

Dobequestog Profile Page
vargab81 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vargab81 For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (12-03-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,895

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanks: 11,912
Thanked 23,107 Times in 6,073 Posts
                     
Vargab81

I just went back to Dobequest to take a look at GChElement's Rock Star because I was pretty sure that while I don't think that Lex Luthor appears in his pedigree, Cactus Cash is it many times. Anyplace you see Kaywood--in at least one case you have to go back about 5 generations but Cactus Cash is a fair important part of his pedigree in three out of four lines.

Is the some particular reason you want to avoid either of those sires?

I know that Michelle Santana (Foxfire) avoided Cactus Cash and his grandsire for many years. My 14 year old dog who I lost just after Thanksgiving probably had as little Cactus Cash as you'd be likely to find--in a 4 generation pedigree Cactus Cash is in the third generation on the sire's side and 4th generation on the dam's side.

And Lex Luthor doesn't appear in any of Michelle's pedigrees until she bred to a Lex son.

I don't know I remember when people were trying to avoid some very popular sires from 20 or more years ago. I'm not a fan of rushing to breed to the popular sire of the day but sometimes that dog (whoever it might be) is sometimes the best choice for a particular bitch.

It's not going to be long before Cactus Cash or Lex aren't going to appear in pedigrees simply because of when they were born--they'll be off the pedigree of the common 3 or 4 generation pedigree so you'll really need to do a lot of detective work to avoid those particular dogs.

Good luck...

dobebug
dobebug is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (12-03-2019), alan j. (12-03-2019), Artemis (12-03-2019), Cressrb (12-03-2019), LadyDi (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,497
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,313
Thanked 58,020 Times in 15,809 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargab81 View Post
Other day I was studying pedigrees of the current stars of the Doberman show world in US and looks like most of them either goes back to Cactus Cash or Lex Luthor. Only found one Gch Element's Rock Star (Ozzy)who do not carry these lines. Do you know other such dogs who are successful but still do not have these famous sires behind them.

Dobequestog Profile Page
You have to remember when you study pedigrees that you can't just look at the pedigree in front of you on Dobequest, because you're looking only at the first several generations, and in younger dogs, that may not be that far back (in years). Cactus Cash is the sire of Kaywood's Highly Classified, who is in Ozzy's pedigree, just one generation beyond what is pictured on Dobequest. If you click on her, you can view her pedigree (or any of the other dogs in the pedigree, too).

With some of the "big sires" it's tough to find dogs without them in the pedigree. Some people try to just minimize how many times they appear, if there's a reason you don't like them.
dobebug likes this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (12-03-2019), dobebug (12-03-2019), LadyDi (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Big Pup
 
steris56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Dogs Name: Penelope
Titles: TKA, WAC, CA, CKNSD
Dogs Age: Rainbow bridge - 9/7/19
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit steris56's Gallery
Thanks: 52
Thanked 141 Times in 35 Posts
Images: 3
             
N00b question but, is there a particular reason to avoid these lines?

(I was not keen on him being in any pedigrees I was looking into simply because he was in Penelope's but it's more my deep fear of another early cancer.)


Penelope Matilda Tovah CA WAC TKA CKNSD
Gotcha Day: Mar '17 Rainbow Bridge: Sept '19
steris56 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to steris56 For This Useful Post:
melbrod (12-03-2019)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,497
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,313
Thanked 58,020 Times in 15,809 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by steris56 View Post
N00b question but, is there a particular reason to avoid these lines?

(I was not keen on him being in any pedigrees I was looking into simply because he was in Penelope's but it's more my deep fear of another early cancer.)
My question to you would be, why would you identify him as the cause of the cancer?

As in humans, I would be incredibly reluctant to attribute any one "thing" as the cause of cancer. Even saying "cancer" is kind of a misnomer - there are many types of cancers - it's not one disease, it's many diseases. Osteosarcoma is one cancer. Hemangiosarcoma is another cancer. They are vastly different, don't respond in the same way to the same treatments. As someone who has had cancer (thyroid) that was highly treatable, and who has lost a sibling to a very aggressive cancer...they were incredibly different diseases. They weren't genetic, we didn't both get cancer because we were related, and it's unlikely we both got cancer due to the same environment, either. However, that said....factors for cancer all include things like diet, environment, genetics...even just simply a bad roll of the dice. It's so incredibly complex. Scientists studying humans know some things, but it's a big, complicated puzzle, and each cancer is different. Some certainly are genetic (certain breast cancers, for example), some definitely aren't. So, in dogs....it's complicated. Seeing a sire that is "popular" in a lot of pedigrees doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that a dog produces cancer, certainly not in the way that seeing a dog in pedigrees can lend itself to the idea that a dog might contribute to DCM. And even in the case of DCM, one has to remember that dogs have both sires and dams....

Just food for thought.

That doesn't mean I don't personally prefer to avoid a lot of "popular" sires, and strive for diversity where I can (but sometimes it's hard to avoid the older ones farther back).
dobebug likes this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019), steris56 (12-03-2019)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Alpha
 
Gretchen_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,499
Location: Denver
Dogs Name: Maverick and Kya
Titles: GCH, BH, Dock Diving, Agility, Rally, and of course Supreme bed destroyer
Dogs Age: 4 years and 20mo
Gallery Pics: 14
Visit Gretchen_Red's Gallery
Thanks: 7,177
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,184 Posts
Images: 14
                     
It's nearly, if not impossible to avoid famous sires. What I try to look for is who they were bred too. Was it something with longevity?

For instance, the male that I want to breed Kya to has a dog that died from DCM about 4 generations back. This doesn't freak me out because I also know that that dog was bred to a bitch that lived to be 10 and there's TONS of longevity everywhere else in the lines.

It's unfortunate to say but you have to take the good with the bad.
dobebug likes this.
Gretchen_Red is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen_Red For This Useful Post:
Artemis (12-03-2019), dobebug (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019), steris56 (12-03-2019)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Big Pup
 
steris56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Dogs Name: Penelope
Titles: TKA, WAC, CA, CKNSD
Dogs Age: Rainbow bridge - 9/7/19
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit steris56's Gallery
Thanks: 52
Thanked 141 Times in 35 Posts
Images: 3
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
My question to you would be, why would you identify him as the cause of the cancer?

As in humans, I would be incredibly reluctant to attribute any one "thing" as the cause of cancer. Even saying "cancer" is kind of a misnomer - there are many types of cancers - it's not one disease, it's many diseases. Osteosarcoma is one cancer. Hemangiosarcoma is another cancer. They are vastly different, don't respond in the same way to the same treatments. As someone who has had cancer (thyroid) that was highly treatable, and who has lost a sibling to a very aggressive cancer...they were incredibly different diseases. They weren't genetic, we didn't both get cancer because we were related, and it's unlikely we both got cancer due to the same environment, either. However, that said....factors for cancer all include things like diet, environment, genetics...even just simply a bad roll of the dice. It's so incredibly complex. Scientists studying humans know some things, but it's a big, complicated puzzle, and each cancer is different. Some certainly are genetic (certain breast cancers, for example), some definitely aren't. So, in dogs....it's complicated. Seeing a sire that is "popular" in a lot of pedigrees doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that a dog produces cancer, certainly not in the way that seeing a dog in pedigrees can lend itself to the idea that a dog might contribute to DCM. And even in the case of DCM, one has to remember that dogs have both sires and dams....

Just food for thought.

That doesn't mean I don't personally prefer to avoid a lot of "popular" sires, and strive for diversity where I can (but sometimes it's hard to avoid the older ones farther back).
No, I get you! Right in the middle of studying MSK and dermatologic cancers for humans.
It's my kneejerk response to the entire OSA affair, honestly. There are, indeed, a myriad of random and untimely mutations that get the neoplasm ball rolling.

I wasn't sure if I was just missing something obvious since he passed from sepsis and not any hereditary issue. I recall one line I was looking into (not Cambria's) had consistent hepatic troubles associated with a sire.

::edit:: I was thinking of Repo Man.


Penelope Matilda Tovah CA WAC TKA CKNSD
Gotcha Day: Mar '17 Rainbow Bridge: Sept '19

Last edited by steris56; 12-03-2019 at 05:37 PM.
steris56 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steris56 For This Useful Post:
dobebug (12-03-2019), MeadowCat (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,497
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,313
Thanked 58,020 Times in 15,809 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by steris56 View Post
No, I get you! Right in the middle of studying MSK and dermatologic cancers for humans.
It's my kneejerk response to the entire OSA affair, honestly. There are, indeed, a myriad of random and untimely mutations that get the neoplasm ball rolling.

I wasn't sure if I was just missing something obvious since he passed from sepsis and not any hereditary issue. I recall one line I was looking into (not Cambria's) had consistent hepatic troubles associated with a sire.

::edit:: I was thinking of Repo Man.
I guess the way I go into it is...I look for a breeder who shares the same philosophy and outlook as I do (or, as closely as I can get). If they have the same outlook on breeding and goals as I do, it's likely that their breeding goals are going to align with what I'm looking for in a puppy. So I don't necessarily look for a pedigree when I'm searching so much as I look for someone that's going to be the type of breeder I want. That doesn't mean I wouldn't look at the individual puppy's pedigree, but it's likely that a breeder who is breeding the types of dogs I want is going to be breeding the types of pedigrees I like, making the types of decisions I respect. I don't think there are really any "perfect" pedigrees out there, but when you find someone that aligns with what you like, you generally respect the compromises they make.
dobebug likes this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
dobebug (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019), steris56 (12-03-2019)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Alpha
 
Kansadobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,905
Location: Kansas USA
Dogs Name: Breeder for over 40 Years
Titles: Bred 40+ AKC Champions, Top 20 Conformation and Obedience Contenders, and SCH Titled

Gallery Pics: 15
Visit Kansadobe's Gallery
Thanks: 2,488
Thanked 10,045 Times in 1,519 Posts
Images: 15
                     
We do not have Cactus Cash in any of our current dogs. We did breed to one of his sons once, but we have nothing from that br
eeding. You also have to remember that the breed did not start with him. He goes back to many other popular sires such as Cryptonite and Windwalker befoer him. They can be found through many other channels than Cactus Cash.

On the other hand, we have used Lex Luthor 4 times over the years including having an exceptional current son of his that is only 9 months old (See link below). Some uninformed people like to speak of health issues in his line, but we have had several that have lived into their teens.

Based on current genetics, we are big believers in the UC Davis VGL and Betterbred genetic diversity testing. It will tell you more about the actual genetic diversity (internal inbreeding and similarity to the rest of the breed) of your dog or a mating pair than any pedigree ever will.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjURvWkEXFo1d5qz6
dobebug and Coco Loco like this.

Kansadobe is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kansadobe For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (12-03-2019), Artemis (12-03-2019), Coco Loco (12-03-2019), dobebug (12-03-2019), MeadowCat (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019), steris56 (12-03-2019)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Alpha
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,405
Location: Canada
Dogs Name: Vanya (Miniature Pinscher), Nadia (Doberman Pinscher)
Titles: SD CSAU ATT IBAR SPOT CGN WAC BH BSA G1a
Dogs Age: 17/03/09, 26/02/15
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Artemis's Gallery
Thanks: 3,083
Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,052 Posts
                     
I would think it's less about wanting avoid those particular dogs/lines and more about the fact that if you have very prolific and influential sires it becomes harder to outcross. Another thing (though these males are now long dead) is when everyone rushes to a particular sire repeatedly, and issues DO turn up, it's a lot harder to go back and actively avoid them if need be.

It took like a handful of sires to wipe out the diversity from most of the European show gene pool, and good luck finding show bred dogs that aren't also linebred on at least one or two of these sires (who either died suddenly or of confirmed cardio).

Although I don't think a sire being popular should be the sole reason to not use him.
dobebug likes this.


Show yourself
I'm no longer trembling
Here I am
I've come so far
You are the answer I've waited for
All of my life
Artemis is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artemis For This Useful Post:
dobebug (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019), steris56 (12-03-2019)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Big Pup
 
steris56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Dogs Name: Penelope
Titles: TKA, WAC, CA, CKNSD
Dogs Age: Rainbow bridge - 9/7/19
Gallery Pics: 3
Visit steris56's Gallery
Thanks: 52
Thanked 141 Times in 35 Posts
Images: 3
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansadobe View Post
We do not have Cactus Cash in any of our current dogs. We did breed to one of his sons once, but we have nothing from that br
eeding. You also have to remember that the breed did not start with him. He goes back to many other popular sires such as Cryptonite and Windwalker befoer him. They can be found through many other channels than Cactus Cash.

On the other hand, we have used Lex Luthor 4 times over the years including having an exceptional current son of his that is only 9 months old (See link below). Some uninformed people like to speak of health issues in his line, but we have had several that have lived into their teens.

Based on current genetics, we are big believers in the UC Davis VGL and Betterbred genetic diversity testing. It will tell you more about the actual genetic diversity (internal inbreeding and similarity to the rest of the breed) of your dog or a mating pair than any pedigree ever will.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjURvWkEXFo1d5qz6
A) Handsome!

B) Thanks for this. It's easy to forget there are orgs offering diversity services. The genetic diversity testing is so compelling and, I agree, much more sound than reading the tea leaves of pedigrees and searching for dogs on a forum. Time and again, it really just seems like getting out there and using your own sound judgement is what matters (as Meadowcat said).

C) So much to learn.


Penelope Matilda Tovah CA WAC TKA CKNSD
Gotcha Day: Mar '17 Rainbow Bridge: Sept '19
steris56 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steris56 For This Useful Post:
Kansadobe (12-03-2019), MeadowCat (12-03-2019), melbrod (12-03-2019)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Living la Vida Loca!
 
Coco Loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,340
Location: Brooklin, Ontario
Dogs Name: Sugar Dec 31/18 Coco RIP Apr 16/09 to Dec 21/18
Titles: Heart healer
Dogs Age: Baby boy
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Coco Loco's Gallery
Thanks: 14,306
Thanked 5,218 Times in 1,918 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansadobe View Post
We do not have Cactus Cash in any of our current dogs. We did breed to one of his sons once, but we have nothing from that br
eeding. You also have to remember that the breed did not start with him. He goes back to many other popular sires such as Cryptonite and Windwalker befoer him. They can be found through many other channels than Cactus Cash.

On the other hand, we have used Lex Luthor 4 times over the years including having an exceptional current son of his that is only 9 months old (See link below). Some uninformed people like to speak of health issues in his line, but we have had several that have lived into their teens.

Based on current genetics, we are big believers in the UC Davis VGL and Betterbred genetic diversity testing. It will tell you more about the actual genetic diversity (internal inbreeding and similarity to the rest of the breed) of your dog or a mating pair than any pedigree ever will.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjURvWkEXFo1d5qz6
Kansas what a stunning boy!! Absolutely beautiful.



Kin's Sweet Revenge aka Sugar December 31/18

Coco Loco RIP April 16/09 to December 21/18
Coco Loco is online now  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome