Join Date: Jul 2015
Dogs Name: Trevor
Dogs Age: 100
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit sprinter's Gallery
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
How does doberman age
What are the lifestages or markers of aging in a doberman?. My dobe is now 11 yrs and 8 months old. He is very healthy so far, coat is as shiny as it was when he was puppy, but I have no experience of an aging dog and how god forbid they pass away. What I have noticed so far:
- When he is excited, while he still jumps around like a puppy, but when he runs in backyard, he rapidly tires and shows sign indicating one leg is hurt. (recovery is rapid though).
- his jowl area has creeping white/grey hair, but not noticeable unless you look closely.
- his hearing has deteriorated. I have to shout at him sometimes (and then I feel bad).
- he lays around a lot more compared to 5 yrs ago.
- any other developments that happen?
How do they pass away. (If I know it, I can be better prepared and take positive actions that may prolong his lifespan)
- Is it all of a sudden, a day you find them dead on your bed, or dobes show visible signs before they pass away?
Any medicines/herbs that are very effective in dogs? (I know in humans they dont work very well), but maybe dogs have better metabolism/bio-availability.