Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Dogs Name: Kelly
Titles: CD Obedience & Therapy
Dogs Age: puppy
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit Beaumont67's Gallery
Thanked 25,035 Times in 9,286 Posts
Welcome to DT doc.
Pups should not be crated longer than 4 hours straight.
- many don't have a mature bladder
- some have more than 1 bowl movement / in an 8 hour span
- and soft stools, on occasion / to deal with
Personally, by 4.5 months young...
- I have successfully trained our last 2 girl, to be "home alone" unsupervised on a leather sofa in the living room
- when we get a 10 week old fur-baby, this dad teaches puppy >> toy rules of conduct
- soft toys are treated with respect / hard toys are for chewing
- so quickly, our pups have learned to not chew pillows, sofa blankets, oak coffee table, etc.
- I even teach pup, how to debark a tree branch and spit out the bark / I train to eliminate "obstruction surgery" at a very young age
- I start in week1 home and start testing "home alone" at 3 months old
- in 2 > to 5 > to 10 > 15 > 30 > 45 > 60 minute intervals
- developing early house manners in puppy, was the Key to unsupervised success later on
- its all about / providing necessary rules, expectations & boundaries on human belongings/furnishings
- and our 10 week old girls, learn this before bad-destructive habits set in
------------Kelly & (Amy - RIP @ 11.7 y/o)
Last edited by Beaumont67; 10-03-2018 at 08:12 AM.