Join Date: Aug 2015
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit KatieLeanne's Gallery
Thanked 114 Times in 35 Posts
I love pit bulls. With the exception of a random shepherd, or my current two, I've always owned pit bulls growing up and in adult life. My brother and his pit bull come over almost every day to play with my two dogs.
With that being said: Patchwork Robot has a good point: pit bulls, as a general rule, are dog aggressive. They can be different age, different sex, pit bulls don't necessarily distinguish like most other dog breeds.
Now, that's not concrete. My brothers pit bull was rescued from being a bait dog at 6 months old. When she was 2 we all ended up living together for a while. No issues with her and my male lab/ pit mix. No issues with her and my female rottweiler mix. We brought in my sister in laws male Malinois and all hell broke lose between the males, but Nella had no part in it. But she's the exception to the rule.
We had a male and female pit living together when I was a kid. 98% of the time things were great. The other 2% was when money got tight, because all of the family's resources went to vet bills for one or both dogs. Eventually my parents rehomed the male, because it got to the point where a sideways glance turned into an all out brawl. It took time to get to that extent, but no ammount of monitoring/correcting could fix that once it started setting in.
Sorry this is so wordy! Just last thing: while pit bulls are great with people, they just usually do better as the only dog in the home. I hope things work out for you! Definitely keep an eye on things, never leave them alone together, and I wouldn't allow high energy play, as that may key Mistique up a bit. If her excitement level is high, that could also be another factor.
Last edited by KatieLeanne; 11-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.