Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (https://www.dobermantalk.com/forumindex.php)
-   Doberman Related Chat (https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/)
-   -   Kong filling substitutes? (https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/14361-kong-filling-substitutes.html)

Amanda 08-04-2008 10:29 AM

Kong filling substitutes?
 
I'm getting my puppy in about three weeks...

The smell of peanut butter makes me absolutely nauseous, so I'm going to have to find alternatives to put into her kong.

I've heard of honey and cream cheese... does that work well?

Are there any other ingredients I could use that she'd like?

errica 08-04-2008 10:37 AM

Peanut butter is my go to...but I've heard cream cheese, regular cheese melted in the kong, I sometimes use bits of hot dogs, milk bones, you can mix kibble and water/broth/other tasty liquid and freeze it. I know that there is a thread in the educational archives that has a lot of kong recipes. Pretty much anything that your dog likes! Just be careful at first, tiny tummies can get upset with too much rich stuff.

bec&dan 08-04-2008 10:39 AM

Voodoo mentioned to me about freezing kongs and this has been great advice they last much longer! Peanut butter is good but you could try cream cheese or the puppy paste made especially for kongs. What we do is block the end with some paste (the small end) then fill it with kibbles, treats, meat etc then block up the other end with paste as well they have to work to get the treats in the middle out. If you look on this website theres lots of good ideas for recipies and also a good technique for stuffing them!

Kong Stuffing Recipes

Sorry if the link hasnt worked I've never tried to put one in before! :)

voodoolizard 08-04-2008 10:40 AM

old cake and bisciuts mixed to a mush with hot water.

dry food with hot water.

chub dog food, like a paste.

tin dog food will go in if ya mush it a bit !

never tried peanut butter cos the kongs we have are huge and it would cost a fortune, so i normally use leftovers !!

Travis 08-04-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoolizard (Post 223718)
old cake and bisciuts mixed to a mush with hot water.

dry food with hot water.

chub dog food, like a paste.

tin dog food will go in if ya mush it a bit !

never tried peanut butter cos the kongs we have are huge and it would cost a fortune, so i normally use leftovers !!


Amanda will be the first to tell you...there aren't too many leftovers in our house.

I tend to go after those.

:mrgreen:

Zoeberry 08-04-2008 11:01 AM

I found that my 3 love cream cheese even more than peanut butter. I pack the kongs with fat free cream cheese and freeze.

newtodobes 08-04-2008 11:10 AM

Cheez Whiz! I don't fill it full, I'll mix it with some kibble, they love it!

Amanda 08-04-2008 11:22 AM

I like the frozen cream cheese (that sounds good, haha) and the melted cheese idea. I looked at a few online that I liked, but a lot of them were like freaking recipes! I don't have time to stuff a five course meal in there, hahaha.

Something simple like cream cheese or honey or melted cheese would be perfect.

I hope melted cheese doesn't equate to diarrhea. :/

Amanda 08-04-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 223725)
Amanda will be the first to tell you...there aren't too many leftovers in our house.

I tend to go after those.

:mrgreen:

Hehehe. :biggrin55:

True.

JenTN 08-04-2008 11:27 AM

Whatever you do, don't buy the stuff in the can that Kong sells! I made that mistake- I think after filling up 2 medium size Kongs, the can was empty! Very expensive! I think it said the serving was like 2 TBSP- yeah, like that's going to last a puppy any longer than 5 seconds, even frozen!

Travis 08-04-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenTN (Post 223754)
Whatever you do, don't buy the stuff in the can that Kong sells! I made that mistake- I think after filling up 2 medium size Kongs, the can was empty! Very expensive! I think it said the serving was like 2 TBSP- yeah, like that's going to last a puppy any longer than 5 seconds, even frozen!

Thanks for that advice!

bren 08-04-2008 01:04 PM

Lexx likes pretty much everything in them that fits but as mentioned cream cheese is a favourite as is natural yoghurt frozen solid.

Amanda 08-04-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 223845)
Lexx likes pretty much everything in them that fits but as mentioned cream cheese is a favourite as is natural yoghurt frozen solid.

I never thought about yogurt frozen, that's a good idea.

So strawberry banana yogurt frozen wouldn't be too good for her? :/

DobeGirl07 08-04-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda (Post 223847)
I never thought about yogurt frozen, that's a good idea.

So strawberry banana yogurt frozen wouldn't be too good for her? :/

I would just give plain no sugar added.

Amanda 08-04-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DobeGirl07 (Post 223849)
I would just give plain no sugar added.

Aww, darn. That's cool, I can buy plain yogurt.

I have some strawberry banana yogurt in the fridge I'm no longer interested in, lol.

I guess it goes in the trash. :tongue:

bren 08-04-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DobeGirl07 (Post 223849)
I would just give plain no sugar added.

Yep me too.

I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure but I'm told that Natural Yoghurt works as a Probiotic in their gut helping keep them healthy. As I say this may or may not be true, all I know is he loves it and spends ages trying to get it out.

Amanda 08-04-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 223862)
Yep me too.

I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure but I'm told that Natural Yoghurt works as a Probiotic in their gut helping keep them healthy. As I say this may or may not be true, all I know is he loves it and spends ages trying to get it out.

I've heard that, too.

I'll try it out, hopefully she'll like it.

A few people are saying not to give stuffed kongs to her too early, though... when is an appropriate age?

lyngr 08-04-2008 02:07 PM

I usually take a portion of Cinny's kibble (plug the end hole with one piece) fill it 3/4 and soak it with water then fill the rest with banana & pop it in the freezer.

dobegal 08-04-2008 03:41 PM

I use plain yogurt and throw in some dry kibble then freeze

bren 08-04-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda (Post 223863)
I've heard that, too.

I'll try it out, hopefully she'll like it.

A few people are saying not to give stuffed kongs to her too early, though... when is an appropriate age?

We started Lexx at abot 10 weeks with his - supervised of course. After all Kong do make puppy kongs and puppy kong stuffn. The latter smells like crap but lexx loved it, twas a bit pricey for me though.

Burns 08-04-2008 04:12 PM

Great thread! :) I'm getting lots of good ideas!

*added to educational archive*

Zoeberry 08-04-2008 04:43 PM

I like the yogurt idea!

JuneBug 08-04-2008 05:29 PM

Pumpkin works.....it's a little messy if it's not frozen though.

JenTN 08-04-2008 06:12 PM

Here's some of ours:

Of course, peanut butter

OUTSIDE ONLY- frozen low sodium chicken broth

Snausages (Bo has the XL Kong and they fit wonderfully in there and take a while to get out

EZ cheese- I've only done this once as a special treat, but he looooved it

errica 08-04-2008 08:01 PM

Okay, I found a recipe for fruit salad for a Kong, and it's hot here today so I made this for both dogs, and they are in the freezer now.

1/2 apple
1/2 orange
4 strawberries

I chopped all this up and smushed it into both kongs. I use Large sized Kongs and had some leftover.

Then I mashed 1/2 banana with 2 tbs of peanut butter and used that to fill the ends. Then threw them in cups and into the freezer. The pups will get these in about 3 hours.

I offered up the leftovers to the dogs to see what they thought and they both really liked it. I think they'll be happy with it, but I'll let you know for sure.

* you could totally use cream cheese instead of PB, but I had the PB handy!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
@2005 - 2008 DobermanTalk.com

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome