When owners can't afford healthcare for their dog? - Page 4 - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Doberman Health If it has to do with your dog and its health post here.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit KiloSwan's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
 
We are actually in this situation at this exact moment. We are not the richest by any means, but we do okay. That said, our two year old (human child) had a rather large medical emergency earlier this month that literally wiped out our savings. Completely.

Today, my 8 month old doberman is at the vet waiting to be x-rayed to see if his arm and shoulder are broken (not even sure how he would have done it). I'm at a loss on what we will do if it's broken. I literally have nothing to pay for a 3-4 thousand dollar surgery because of what happened to our two year old.

So judge me all you want for not having a nest egg for my dog. I love the dog just as a child, but unfortunately the child decided to get hurt before the four legged child.
KiloSwan is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Eschew Prolixity
 
melbrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,275
Location: Colorado
Dogs Name: Ori AKA Harold DogDog (Hairy Dog), RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Titles: DogDog Mouthe Extraordinaire; Kip Mr. Behavior; Capri Mis-Behavior
Dogs Age: DogDog 3 yrs?; RIP Kip 11 yrs; Capri 7 yrs; Katana 9 yrs; Caesar 13 yrs
Gallery Pics: 6
Visit melbrod's Gallery
Thanks: 82,458
Thanked 66,560 Times in 19,989 Posts
Images: 6
                     
Click here to find out how melbrod became a supporter
I'm not necessarily recommending the organization that printed this or what they say here, because I just don't know, but maybe one of these recommendations can help you:
https://www.gofundme.com/c/blog/help-with-vet-bills
melbrod is online now  
post #78 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,804
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,600
Thanked 63,851 Times in 17,079 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloSwan View Post
We are actually in this situation at this exact moment. We are not the richest by any means, but we do okay. That said, our two year old (human child) had a rather large medical emergency earlier this month that literally wiped out our savings. Completely.

Today, my 8 month old doberman is at the vet waiting to be x-rayed to see if his arm and shoulder are broken (not even sure how he would have done it). I'm at a loss on what we will do if it's broken. I literally have nothing to pay for a 3-4 thousand dollar surgery because of what happened to our two year old.

So judge me all you want for not having a nest egg for my dog. I love the dog just as a child, but unfortunately the child decided to get hurt before the four legged child.
If you think you can pay in small amounts over time, Care Credit is a good option.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (11-15-2019), Gretchen_Red (11-15-2019), melbrod (11-15-2019)
Advertisement
 
post #79 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Got mutt?
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13,474
Location: Southeast Texas
Dogs Name: Leo (GSD); Lily (APBT)
Titles: They do, and are working on more
Dogs Age: Leo 7; Lily 5; Ilka 2009-2017; Lucky 2000-2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Rosemary's Gallery
Thanks: 40,218
Thanked 32,645 Times in 10,707 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
If you think you can pay in small amounts over time, Care Credit is a good option.
I would be lost without Care Credit. I got it when I had a young male cat with a urinary blockage (a life threatening situation) and use it mainly for vet bills, but have also used it for human medical bills.
LadyDi likes this.


~~The Current Hellhounds~~
ADP-PrCH Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T PKD-N ADP-L2 (GC) GPS-SST OD-WD4
S-ADP-PrCH CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD D-CRO-Preliminary PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L2(GC) GPS-SST OD-WD4
~~Requiescat In Pace~~
Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD CRO-1 D-CRO-Preliminary NCO-1 PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L4 ~2009-2017~
Lucky Rat Dog CGC ~2000-2014~
“Dance as if no one who is qualified to commit you is watching!”
Rosemary is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (11-15-2019), ECIN (11-15-2019), Gretchen_Red (11-15-2019), LadyDi (11-15-2019), MeadowCat (11-15-2019), melbrod (11-15-2019)
post #80 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 AM
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Nashville, TN
Dogs Name: Sandy
Dogs Age: 1
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit bbdaisy's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
 
As I understand from this thread this is better to have pet insurance for my dog. I compared a few on Petinsurancefinder but I cannot choose between Pet Plan and Healthpaw. Share your experience with pet insurances, please
bbdaisy is offline  
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM
Alpha
 
Gretchen_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,692
Location: Denver
Dogs Name: Maverick and Kya
Titles: GCH, BH, Dock Diving, Agility, Rally, and of course Supreme bed destroyer
Dogs Age: 4 years and 20mo
Gallery Pics: 14
Visit Gretchen_Red's Gallery
Thanks: 7,334
Thanked 6,179 Times in 2,367 Posts
Images: 14
                     
WARNING: VERY LONG POST
ONLY READ IF CONSIDERING PET INSURANCE.
INTENDED TO BE HELPFUL
I recently saw a post asking For recommendations on PET insurance. They wanted to know if anyone had a good recommendation. After going back to copy something that I posted mid November, 2019, I was unable to retrace my steps and find the person‘s post to respond to it. So I am Making a public post in all my pet-related groups in hopes that that person will see what I post, and perhaps benefit from my research.
To all admins: If you deem this post inappropriate for your group, feel free to delete it. To the pet Loss grief groups I am a part of, I realize you have just lost your beloved fur child and may not currently need this info. However, considering the fact that many of us have more than one fur baby and that you may now be considering insurance for your remaining family member, especially if your rainbow bridge baby had no coverage and you went up to your neck in financial hardship trying to do all you could to save him or her, you might find this information beneficial. Or, if in the future you open your heart to another, you may choose the pet insurance route this time around. (That was my circumstance.....I lost my heart dog to illness. He was a rescue with pre-existing conditions and a few years on him, so I did not have pet insurance. Thousands of dollars later, four months after his passing, I got another fur baby....and this time decided to acquire insurance.
I spent over a month researching 16 different insurance companies, comparing every possible situation.
Here’s what I found.
You must read the fine print. Firstly, companies handle deductibles in a variety of ways. Some require an annual deductible that must first be met, before any expenses are covered. Other companies require a per condition deductible. Most companies offer you a range of deductibles to choose from, beginning at zero dollars all the way up to $1000. There are some companies that will only pay for accidents and illnesses, and will not cover well care for routine care such as dental’s, vaccinations, spays and neuters, blood work that is done prior to spay and neuters. The theory with these companies, is that if you choose to have a pet, you are already planning for well care and for those incidentals that come with pet ownership. The premise is that it is the unexpected illness or injury that will send you to the poorhouse.
One of the reasons you must read the fine print is that many of the companies I looked into state that they cover “Usual and Customary” veterinary charges. What this actually means is that they have a predetermined amount that they have decided is reasonable. That is the amount that they are willing to pay. The problem lies in that most vets charge above and beyond that amount, so whatever amount your vet bill is above what they consider is reasonable, You end up having to pay. Furthermore, many insurances also exclude breed specific health concerns. For example, boxers tend to have a high incidence of cancer, so some of the insurances exclude cancer in boxers.Likewise, Italian greyhound puppies are known for their frequency of leg breaks. Some of these insurances exclude leg breaks for the first two years of the puppy’s life. Labrador retrievers commonly have problems with hip dysplasia, so many of the companies will not cover that. So if you are considering insurance, be sure to check what their exclusion policies are.
Almost all of the insurance companies, with rare exception but for a very few, will not pay your walk in fee. That is the charge that your veterinarian bills you for the initial exam when you walk in the door. Insurance companies consider that that is a cost that is an expected one, And generally they will not cover it.
The other really important issue to consider and to ask about, is what the company considers their Pay out Cap. Some companies have a per-illness Cap, some have a yearly cap, and some have a lifetime cap. That “Cap” is the total amount that they are willing to pay out for your pet. Once you reach that Cap, they will not pay one more cent and you are left with the rest of the bills... be that for that illness, that year, or your pets lifetime. This is an important consideration in the event your pet suffers from a very high cost disease, such as cancer or an ongoing costly chronic condition.
All of the insurance companies boast that their’s is the best, or highlight the most positive and lucrative part of their coverage. Almost none of them go to the lengths to explain the difference between actual vet bill pay out versus usual and customary payout.
I literally called five different vet offices asking what their actual charges would be for various illnesses, conditions, surgeries, and hospitalization fees. None of them fell in line with the usual and customary charges that the insurance companies said they were willing to pay. All of them quoted charges that were significantly higher than what was considered usual and customary.
So beware. This jargon and type of payout can really hurt you in the long run and I would recommend that you not go with any insurance company that only pays usual and customary fees.
After much research, I narrowed down my choices to four companies: Trupanion, Nationwide, Healthy Paws and Pet Plan. They all had certain attractions/hindrances. Of those four, I then narrowed it down to two: Nationwide and Trupanion.
I chose Trupanion.
One thing I liked about nationwide is that they had a well care plan. It was their most expensive plan, called whole pet. If you purchase this plan then they did not pay usual and customary, but rather paid on the actual bill. They also covered routine care, vaccinations, dentals, Etc. the problem, however, was that the price for this policy was exorbitantly expensive. If you sat down and actually figured out what your vaccinations and dental’s and well care costs for heart guard, flea and tick meds etc. would add up to be in a year’s time, the extra amount they charged for the whole pet policy came out much more expensive than what those things would add up to be if you paid for them out of pocket. Additionally if you did not get that most expensive plan, then they resorted to paying usual and customary fees, but had no lifetime cap. Regardless of not having a cap, the fact that they would only pay what they determined it was reasonable for any given situation, did not appeal to me.
Initially I was attracted to the fact that they paid for well care, but after doing the math and crunching the numbers I realized I would end up paying more for my insurance than what those items would add up to be and one of the things I clearly wanted was an insurance that did not have any sort of Payout restriction In the event my pet ended up ever having a serious Chronic illness or a situation where his bills mounted skyhigh.

I ended up choosing Trupanion for several reasons. The first was that they did not have a monthly, yearly or lifetime Pay out. The second was that they paid on the actual vet bill and not on usual and customary terms.
As with most other pet insurances, they do not pay for well care. So things like dentals, vaccinations, spay and neuter’s, heartworm testing, flea and tick medicine’s or heartworm medicine’s, are not covered.
They have a unique deductible situation, that can be viewed as both positive, or negative, depending on how your pets health plays out in the first several years of his life. Rather than having a yearly deductible that covers all health situations, they have a per illness\per symptom deductible. For instance: if your dog breaks a leg, you would first pay your given deductible for the leg break. Then any charge that ensued after you paid the deductible for that but was related in anyway to that leg break, would be covered for the rest of your pets life. That’s right: that wasn’t miss speak. Any charge related to that leg break, after you paid the deductible, would then be covered FOR THE REST OF YOUR PETS LIFE (as long as you stay insured with them). Now, say three months later your pet develops bloody stool and diarrhea and you take your dog into the vet, Trupanion would once again charge you a brand new deductible for that condition. You would have to pay the deductible that you agreed on in your policy again because it was a “new”condition, unrelated to the leg break. After that deductible is met, you would also have to pay the walk in exam fee. After those items were were paid/met, Trupanion would then pay out the percentage of payout you signed up for (either 70%, 80% or 90%) of the remaining actual veterinary costs of that visit.
From that point forward, anytime that your dog presented with bloody stool related to whatever the condition was that was determined was wrong with your pet, he or she would be covered with no additional deductible for the lifetime of that condition and lifetime of your pet. 
In the short side, if you happen to get unlucky and your pet has eight things different from each other that happen during that first or second year, you will end up paying eight separate deductibles, which could be daunting depending on how much deductible you sign up for. So short term, That could really put a pinch on you initially. But if you are planning to insure your pet for your pet’s lifetime, then this is actually quite a good deal. Yes I’m paying a deductible for each condition. But if the condition reoccurs in anyway in the future, you never have to pay another deductible for that condition as long as your pet lives.
(Whew! That was a long oration, wasn’t it!!!)
I have a new I.G.puppy. I was terrified he could break a leg—the main reason I insured him.
Thus far, he has not broken a leg. (Knock on wood). 
But I want to report that indeed, I have had to use my insurance on my little Enzo already. And not in a small way.
With Trupanion, there is a five day waiting period before a person can make a claim in relation to an accident. There is a 30 day waiting period before a claim can be made for an illness. Very shortly after my 30 day waiting period was fulfilled, my little boy began having seizures. He was only four months old. I am now in the process of trying to find out what is wrong with my pup. This has required some very expensive testing and the costs are mounting. My vet bills and emergency animal hospital bills and diagnostic testing bills and blood work bills have come close to $5000 already. Without insurance, I would have had to put my little boy to sleep.
I can report that Trupanion has lived up to its claims. Even though my little Enzo had seizures just days after my insurance kicked in for him, Trupanion honored the timeline that they promised. Every single interaction I have had with their claims department and their customer service people has been nothing short of stellar. Submission of claims is very easy, and they are paying the percentage of actual vet and hospital bills that I had agreed-upon with them in my policy. They have shown care, compassion, concern, and a willingness to spend as much time on the phone with me as needed. On several occasions I have submitted estimates for things that needed to be done, And within 48 hours they came back to me with approval of those estimates. Some of my bills have already been paid, and some are still in the queue. But I am extremely pleased with how they are handling my situation and I am very convinced that my research paid off and that I chose the company that was right for me.
Everybody’s situation is different and people have different things that they hold as important. But for me, Trupanion was the right choice.
I hope this information is helpful.
Below is what I posted in mid November in my Facebook groups. If any of you have a need to discuss your situation or ask questions about my insurance experience, feel free to PM me. I will try to respond to you in a timely manner. Please be aware that I am dealing with a sick puppy right now, so it could take me a while to get back to you.
- - - 
 Decision made. Action taken. As of 7:30 this evening Enzo, also known as Zo Zo POP, is covered by Trupanion Pet Insurance. $0 Deductible, Added Recovery and Complimentary Care Ryder. 5 day Accident waiting period/30 day illness waiting period. 90% payout of actual vet bills for accident or illness. We need to Bubble Wrap him until Sunday, Nov. 24th and keep him illness-free until December 19th!
After realizing how much of a dare-devil, risk taker, and fearless personality he has, we decided being safe and not sorry was worth the peace of mind.
This little man is worth his weight in gold.
Gretchen_Red is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gretchen_Red For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (01-15-2020)
post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,804
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,600
Thanked 63,851 Times in 17,079 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_Red View Post
WARNING: VERY LONG POST
ONLY READ IF CONSIDERING PET INSURANCE.
INTENDED TO BE HELPFUL
I recently saw a post asking For recommendations on PET insurance. They wanted to know if anyone had a good recommendation. After going back to copy something that I posted mid November, 2019, I was unable to retrace my steps and find the person‘s post to respond to it. So I am Making a public post in all my pet-related groups in hopes that that person will see what I post, and perhaps benefit from my research.
To all admins: If you deem this post inappropriate for your group, feel free to delete it. To the pet Loss grief groups I am a part of, I realize you have just lost your beloved fur child and may not currently need this info. However, considering the fact that many of us have more than one fur baby and that you may now be considering insurance for your remaining family member, especially if your rainbow bridge baby had no coverage and you went up to your neck in financial hardship trying to do all you could to save him or her, you might find this information beneficial. Or, if in the future you open your heart to another, you may choose the pet insurance route this time around. (That was my circumstance.....I lost my heart dog to illness. He was a rescue with pre-existing conditions and a few years on him, so I did not have pet insurance. Thousands of dollars later, four months after his passing, I got another fur baby....and this time decided to acquire insurance.
I spent over a month researching 16 different insurance companies, comparing every possible situation.
Here’s what I found.
You must read the fine print. Firstly, companies handle deductibles in a variety of ways. Some require an annual deductible that must first be met, before any expenses are covered. Other companies require a per condition deductible. Most companies offer you a range of deductibles to choose from, beginning at zero dollars all the way up to $1000. There are some companies that will only pay for accidents and illnesses, and will not cover well care for routine care such as dental’s, vaccinations, spays and neuters, blood work that is done prior to spay and neuters. The theory with these companies, is that if you choose to have a pet, you are already planning for well care and for those incidentals that come with pet ownership. The premise is that it is the unexpected illness or injury that will send you to the poorhouse.
One of the reasons you must read the fine print is that many of the companies I looked into state that they cover “Usual and Customary” veterinary charges. What this actually means is that they have a predetermined amount that they have decided is reasonable. That is the amount that they are willing to pay. The problem lies in that most vets charge above and beyond that amount, so whatever amount your vet bill is above what they consider is reasonable, You end up having to pay. Furthermore, many insurances also exclude breed specific health concerns. For example, boxers tend to have a high incidence of cancer, so some of the insurances exclude cancer in boxers.Likewise, Italian greyhound puppies are known for their frequency of leg breaks. Some of these insurances exclude leg breaks for the first two years of the puppy’s life. Labrador retrievers commonly have problems with hip dysplasia, so many of the companies will not cover that. So if you are considering insurance, be sure to check what their exclusion policies are.
Almost all of the insurance companies, with rare exception but for a very few, will not pay your walk in fee. That is the charge that your veterinarian bills you for the initial exam when you walk in the door. Insurance companies consider that that is a cost that is an expected one, And generally they will not cover it.
The other really important issue to consider and to ask about, is what the company considers their Pay out Cap. Some companies have a per-illness Cap, some have a yearly cap, and some have a lifetime cap. That “Cap” is the total amount that they are willing to pay out for your pet. Once you reach that Cap, they will not pay one more cent and you are left with the rest of the bills... be that for that illness, that year, or your pets lifetime. This is an important consideration in the event your pet suffers from a very high cost disease, such as cancer or an ongoing costly chronic condition.
All of the insurance companies boast that their’s is the best, or highlight the most positive and lucrative part of their coverage. Almost none of them go to the lengths to explain the difference between actual vet bill pay out versus usual and customary payout.
I literally called five different vet offices asking what their actual charges would be for various illnesses, conditions, surgeries, and hospitalization fees. None of them fell in line with the usual and customary charges that the insurance companies said they were willing to pay. All of them quoted charges that were significantly higher than what was considered usual and customary.
So beware. This jargon and type of payout can really hurt you in the long run and I would recommend that you not go with any insurance company that only pays usual and customary fees.
After much research, I narrowed down my choices to four companies: Trupanion, Nationwide, Healthy Paws and Pet Plan. They all had certain attractions/hindrances. Of those four, I then narrowed it down to two: Nationwide and Trupanion.
I chose Trupanion.
One thing I liked about nationwide is that they had a well care plan. It was their most expensive plan, called whole pet. If you purchase this plan then they did not pay usual and customary, but rather paid on the actual bill. They also covered routine care, vaccinations, dentals, Etc. the problem, however, was that the price for this policy was exorbitantly expensive. If you sat down and actually figured out what your vaccinations and dental’s and well care costs for heart guard, flea and tick meds etc. would add up to be in a year’s time, the extra amount they charged for the whole pet policy came out much more expensive than what those things would add up to be if you paid for them out of pocket. Additionally if you did not get that most expensive plan, then they resorted to paying usual and customary fees, but had no lifetime cap. Regardless of not having a cap, the fact that they would only pay what they determined it was reasonable for any given situation, did not appeal to me.
Initially I was attracted to the fact that they paid for well care, but after doing the math and crunching the numbers I realized I would end up paying more for my insurance than what those items would add up to be and one of the things I clearly wanted was an insurance that did not have any sort of Payout restriction In the event my pet ended up ever having a serious Chronic illness or a situation where his bills mounted skyhigh.

I ended up choosing Trupanion for several reasons. The first was that they did not have a monthly, yearly or lifetime Pay out. The second was that they paid on the actual vet bill and not on usual and customary terms.
As with most other pet insurances, they do not pay for well care. So things like dentals, vaccinations, spay and neuter’s, heartworm testing, flea and tick medicine’s or heartworm medicine’s, are not covered.
They have a unique deductible situation, that can be viewed as both positive, or negative, depending on how your pets health plays out in the first several years of his life. Rather than having a yearly deductible that covers all health situations, they have a per illness\per symptom deductible. For instance: if your dog breaks a leg, you would first pay your given deductible for the leg break. Then any charge that ensued after you paid the deductible for that but was related in anyway to that leg break, would be covered for the rest of your pets life. That’s right: that wasn’t miss speak. Any charge related to that leg break, after you paid the deductible, would then be covered FOR THE REST OF YOUR PETS LIFE (as long as you stay insured with them). Now, say three months later your pet develops bloody stool and diarrhea and you take your dog into the vet, Trupanion would once again charge you a brand new deductible for that condition. You would have to pay the deductible that you agreed on in your policy again because it was a “new”condition, unrelated to the leg break. After that deductible is met, you would also have to pay the walk in exam fee. After those items were were paid/met, Trupanion would then pay out the percentage of payout you signed up for (either 70%, 80% or 90%) of the remaining actual veterinary costs of that visit.
From that point forward, anytime that your dog presented with bloody stool related to whatever the condition was that was determined was wrong with your pet, he or she would be covered with no additional deductible for the lifetime of that condition and lifetime of your pet. 
In the short side, if you happen to get unlucky and your pet has eight things different from each other that happen during that first or second year, you will end up paying eight separate deductibles, which could be daunting depending on how much deductible you sign up for. So short term, That could really put a pinch on you initially. But if you are planning to insure your pet for your pet’s lifetime, then this is actually quite a good deal. Yes I’m paying a deductible for each condition. But if the condition reoccurs in anyway in the future, you never have to pay another deductible for that condition as long as your pet lives.
(Whew! That was a long oration, wasn’t it!!!)
I have a new I.G.puppy. I was terrified he could break a leg—the main reason I insured him.
Thus far, he has not broken a leg. (Knock on wood). 
But I want to report that indeed, I have had to use my insurance on my little Enzo already. And not in a small way.
With Trupanion, there is a five day waiting period before a person can make a claim in relation to an accident. There is a 30 day waiting period before a claim can be made for an illness. Very shortly after my 30 day waiting period was fulfilled, my little boy began having seizures. He was only four months old. I am now in the process of trying to find out what is wrong with my pup. This has required some very expensive testing and the costs are mounting. My vet bills and emergency animal hospital bills and diagnostic testing bills and blood work bills have come close to $5000 already. Without insurance, I would have had to put my little boy to sleep.
I can report that Trupanion has lived up to its claims. Even though my little Enzo had seizures just days after my insurance kicked in for him, Trupanion honored the timeline that they promised. Every single interaction I have had with their claims department and their customer service people has been nothing short of stellar. Submission of claims is very easy, and they are paying the percentage of actual vet and hospital bills that I had agreed-upon with them in my policy. They have shown care, compassion, concern, and a willingness to spend as much time on the phone with me as needed. On several occasions I have submitted estimates for things that needed to be done, And within 48 hours they came back to me with approval of those estimates. Some of my bills have already been paid, and some are still in the queue. But I am extremely pleased with how they are handling my situation and I am very convinced that my research paid off and that I chose the company that was right for me.
Everybody’s situation is different and people have different things that they hold as important. But for me, Trupanion was the right choice.
I hope this information is helpful.
Below is what I posted in mid November in my Facebook groups. If any of you have a need to discuss your situation or ask questions about my insurance experience, feel free to PM me. I will try to respond to you in a timely manner. Please be aware that I am dealing with a sick puppy right now, so it could take me a while to get back to you.
- - - 
 Decision made. Action taken. As of 7:30 this evening Enzo, also known as Zo Zo POP, is covered by Trupanion Pet Insurance. $0 Deductible, Added Recovery and Complimentary Care Ryder. 5 day Accident waiting period/30 day illness waiting period. 90% payout of actual vet bills for accident or illness. We need to Bubble Wrap him until Sunday, Nov. 24th and keep him illness-free until December 19th!
After realizing how much of a dare-devil, risk taker, and fearless personality he has, we decided being safe and not sorry was worth the peace of mind.
This little man is worth his weight in gold.
This post isn't entirely accurate, so...do your due diligence (and I say that having had coverage with Trupanion in the past).

What I can say is - do your research carefully. Know what's important to you. I highly suggest CALLING each company and walking through the policy. Don't rely on what people tell you on the internet. As an example, the above is not accurate (and I know you just shared it, Gretchen, not blaming you...). I have Embrace, and they pay me my actual costs, not "customary charges".

Each company has a little bit of a different policy. Ask if there are yearly and/or lifetime caps on payouts. Know what they are, and know if that matters to you. Understand if your policy has a deductible, and if that deductible is per incident, or per year. Know whether your policy covers the exam fee or not (for example, Trupanion does NOT, and those can be very pricey at specialists!). Know whether your policy covers prescription drugs, or if you need an additional rider for that (drugs add up FAST with some conditions!). Understand if your coverage includes specialists, if you need referrals, if alternative care is covered (things like rehab and chiro), if that matters to you, if you need an additional rider for that. Know if your dog needs to be spayed or neutered at a certain age. Make sure all hereditary/genetic conditions are covered. Find out if there are waiting periods for coverage for any conditions, and what they are. Insurance is still insurance - none of them are perfect, and I find that the complaints I read online are mostly people not understanding what they bought.

I will say I've been really happy with Embrace - I've had my policy with them for nearly 4 years. I've had lots of claims, all have been paid relatively quickly. One dog was previously on Trupanion. The policy there was quite different. I was happy with it, but the premiums were increasing fairly dramatically. I finally had to switch him over to Embrace, too. That was a process - I called, spoke with someone, we had a full chart review done so I'd know what, if anything, would be considered pre-existing due to his history. They were incredibly helpful. So I've been pleased. I certainly would not have another dog without insurance.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (01-15-2020), melbrod (01-15-2020)
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:06 AM
Alpha
 
Cressrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,278
Location: Utah
Dogs Name: Irongates East of the Sunrise, aka 'Jada' CGC, WAC, GrCh. Cha-Rish Mine To Imagine, WAC
Titles: CGC, CH. WAC GCH
Dogs Age: DOB:5/21/12, 1/26/15
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Cressrb's Gallery
Thanks: 12,338
Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,665 Posts
                     
Click here to find out how Cressrb became a supporter
Did you write this Gretchen? Do you have a new IG puppy? It was well done and thank you for submitting it.

"Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen, though...That's the problem. " ~ The Tao of Pooh
Cressrb is offline  
post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,804
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,600
Thanked 63,851 Times in 17,079 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressrb View Post
Did you write this Gretchen? Do you have a new IG puppy? It was well done and thank you for submitting it.
It was something shared on FB by someone else.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (01-15-2020)
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Roxyyy03's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
It took me a long travel last month just to bring my puppy at a healthcare center. I was with my father, since he also was looking for a car detailing shop that time. I am so sad because when we got their the healthcare center is close due to pandemic. In this worst time, not only people are affected even our beloved dogs as well
Roxyyy03 is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome