Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DFW, Tx
Dogs Name: Nietzsche, Liberty, Teddy
Titles: WAC CGC, CH WAC CGC, CH
Gallery Pics: 20 Visit Zephyr's Gallery
Thanked 8,326 Times in 1,706 Posts
Spinoff of the Baytril thread--Cipro for puppies?
I didn't want to hijack the Baytril puppy thread, but my situation is fairly similar. Liberty had a BAD staph outbreak that developed roughly a month ago after getting some vaccination boosters, and she was given 2 weeks of Cephalexin to help clear things up. While it did help somewhat, she was still developing new bumps even while on the antibiotic.
On this past Saturday when she had her checkup, the vet decided to put her on 500mg Cipro 2x daily. I know that Cipro is in the same family as Baytril and that it is also not recommended for puppies. My question is if anyone knows if the cartilage issues are also the reason it isn't supposed to be given to pups? If so, are the side effects as common/severe as young dogs that have been given Baytril?
Liberty has been fairly mellow around the house, but she doesn't have diarrhea, doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, is eating regularly (albeit a bit less than usual), and seems to be generally happy overall. Her bumps have vanished completely since Saturday morning (when she had her first dose of Cipro). I'm supposed to continue the drug for 2 weeks, but I am so anxious about potentially harming her joints.
To any of you who are knowledgeable on the subject, I know that an alternative to Cipro would be Clindamycin. The vet even mentioned both on Saturday, and I asked which she thought would be the better choice. She chose the Cipro. I just can't seem to wrap my head around why. Is Cipro better at clearing up skin issues than Clindamycin? Is it worth the added risk? I think >I< would be more comfortable giving Liberty the Clin, but am I just overreacting? I know she is doing well on the Cipro, and I don't want the vet to think I'm second guessing her, but the last thing I want is for my Doberman to be even MORE prone to developing joint difficulties.
Any input is appreciated. I called the vet to talk to her, and I should hear back from her tomorrow.