A few days ago I heard Huck rattling in his kennel and a few seconds later he appeared dangling his back right leg.
After sedation, X-rays, and a splint he was sent home with a “simple” fracture and instructions to have splint changed in a week. The next morning we were called by the University of MN stating the radiologist saw an “aggressive lesion” at the fracture site and to return to surgery department for further testing.
Yesterday he was sedated, needle biopsied to r/o osteosarcoma, chest X-ray for metastasis and resplinted.
Today came the news:
Still waiting on some results but what we do know is that it’s cancer. Initially they thought it would be a osteosarcoma but they are having difficulty determining if it’s that or another type of cancer.
They see evidence of osteosarcoma but also an even more aggressive Hemangiosarcoma. So they are sourcing his slides out for third and fourth opinion.
If osteosarcoma and no metastasis,
then amputation and chemo with life expectancy about a year. If metastasis then amputation and six months.
If Hemangiosarcoma without metastasis then amputation and chemo for 6-8 months expectancy. If with metastasis then comfort care which could include amputation and only a few months.
It may be next week before we know which cancer and what stage.
He’s scheduled for amputation on 12-5, if we decide to proceed with that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk