joie de vivre
Join Date: Apr 2009
Dogs Name: Cypress (Dobe) & Dempsey (Rat Terrier)
Dogs Age: 05.08.19 & 11.04.14
Gallery Pics: 9 Visit brw1982's Gallery
Thanked 31,866 Times in 8,839 Posts
I just had a similar experience, though thankfully Tali only chipped her tooth and, upon exam, it was deemed to be a shallow chip and okay as is for now. It was hard to know for sure how bad it was until the vet could look at it because she chipped the interior part of a carnassial. Really hard to get a look at it on the inside and so far back without extra lighting and an extra set of hands to help keep her tongue out of the way.
What I've learned is that if you do want to opt for a root canal to save the tooth you have limited time to decide to do so because that root is dying as we speak and your pup is at risk of infection by having the pulp exposed.
I guess it's really a personal judgement call as to what to do. Personally, I would opt to save the teeth if at all possible. He's young. Ideally, he has many years left during which having those big teeth would be of great benefit to him. If he were 10, I'd probably opt to have one/both/whatever is needed extracted.
Whatever you do...don't leave him in pain. I don't know about you but I've experienced dental pain from complications and accidents and it can be about as intolerable as any pain I've ever experienced (and I've had broken bones, a 3rd degree sprain that put me in a cast, and a concussion). Please don't leave him as is to try to tolerate the pain as that tooth dies. Make a decision and follow through with the treatment. The sooner the better.
Old Drum's Crimson Crisp CGC, "Fiona" 04-21-2009 - 01-15-2018
Old Drum's Fiery Rumors of Taliesin CGC LC-10D, "Tali" 05-09-2008 - 08-19-2018 Sirai's Novel Weapon TKN, AKC S.T.A.R. puppy, "Cypress" 05-08-2019 -
AKC/UKC CH Bur-way's Unscripted CA TKN, "Dempsey" (Rat Terrier) 11-04-2014 -
Last edited by brw1982; 05-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.