Toronto Dog Trainer - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Lil Dog
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto, Canada
Dogs Name: Kai

Gallery Pics: 3
Visit karlo.b's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 27 Posts
Images: 3
       
Toronto Dog Trainer

Hey All,

Im looking to get some information on reputable trainers for my doberman.

He is a very smart boy, I have had good luck with training him at home and puppy obedience, but he's excelled way too quickly.
I am having a hard time finding good reputable trainers in the city that are able to do Obedience & possibly personal protection (if he's the right fit).
Id prefer to find a trainer that I could work with in the long run as I don't think I like switching them every so often.

I have researched a bit into Eric Bernstein for obedience classes - let me know if any of you have had experience with him.
karlo.b is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Alpha
 
Beaumont67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,907
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Dogs Name: Kelly
Titles: CD Obedience & Therapy
Dogs Age: puppy
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Beaumont67's Gallery
Thanks: 54,925
Thanked 22,888 Times in 8,907 Posts
                     
I own a former kennel-commercial property, which I shut down...and restored the brick house.
- but one day I was visited by a protection dog trainer (30 years experience) ...and we talked

He said the Ontario Govn, won't let the IPO/Schutzhund Training facilities, operate here any longer.
- nothing I've ever checked out / sad if true

Maybe find the best OB trainer first, for Kai / and go from there.

Not every doberman, but many will protect loving family members...naturally.
- could always find out, who trains local police dogs (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characteristics of IPO Dogs

First: there is no such thing as a perfect IPO dog! Every dog will have strengths, weaknesses, and a unique mix of character traits that make up its genetic temperament. However, there are general characteristics that are considered ideal in a Schutzhund dog. Regardless of breed, the Schutzhund/IPO dog should have:

- a stable character
- high trainability
- a desire to work with and for the handler (biddability)
- drive and desire for the work (work ethic)
- some level of natural aggression and protective instinct

Additionally, they should be relatively easy to motivate, with an interest in food (food drive), interest in playing with and chasing toys and ball (prey drive), and a natural desire to bite their "prey" with a full, strong grip. The best dogs also have a strong "fighting" instinct that is directed at their adversary; they enjoy the fight, just like a pugilist enjoys a boxing match. Most importantly, however, the IPO dog should show a courageous and resilient character, with an ability to cope with and think clearly under stress.

------------Kelly & (Amy - RIP @ 11.7 y/o)

Last edited by Beaumont67; 03-27-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Beaumont67 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 AM
Extraordimary
 
MaryAndDobes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,850
Location: Ontario, Canada
Dogs Name: Moxie, Copper & Wicca
Titles: Yes
Dogs Age: 12, 11 & 7
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit MaryAndDobes's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16,509 Times in 3,241 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont67 View Post
He said the Ontario Govn, won't let the IPO/Schutzhund Training facilities, operate here any longer.
I think that's BS.

OP, you could check this out
https://www.geminik9.com/

MaryAndDobes is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Lil Dog
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto, Canada
Dogs Name: Kai

Gallery Pics: 3
Visit karlo.b's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 27 Posts
Images: 3
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont67 View Post
I own a former kennel-commercial property, which I shut down...and restored the brick house.
- but one day I was visited by a protection dog trainer (30 years experience) ...and we talked

He said the Ontario Govn, won't let the IPO/Schutzhund Training facilities, operate here any longer.
- nothing I've ever checked out / sad if true

Maybe find the best OB trainer first, for Kai / and go from there.

Not every doberman, but many will protect loving family members...naturally.
- could always find out, who trains local police dogs (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characteristics of IPO Dogs

First: there is no such thing as a perfect IPO dog! Every dog will have strengths, weaknesses, and a unique mix of character traits that make up its genetic temperament. However, there are general characteristics that are considered ideal in a Schutzhund dog. Regardless of breed, the Schutzhund/IPO dog should have:

- a stable character
- high trainability
- a desire to work with and for the handler (biddability)
- drive and desire for the work (work ethic)
- some level of natural aggression and protective instinct

Additionally, they should be relatively easy to motivate, with an interest in food (food drive), interest in playing with and chasing toys and ball (prey drive), and a natural desire to bite their "prey" with a full, strong grip. The best dogs also have a strong "fighting" instinct that is directed at their adversary; they enjoy the fight, just like a pugilist enjoys a boxing match. Most importantly, however, the IPO dog should show a courageous and resilient character, with an ability to cope with and think clearly under stress.
That's weird, I still see certain trainers doing IPO/Schutzhund as well as listing it on their websites.

I think ill have to go that route. I found what seems like a good trainer, listed in the original post.
I might go with him for obedience while working on some things on the side with my dog. Like the prey drive. Maybe even start bite work on toys. Just to get him excited for it.

I previously had a trainer for puppy obedience and I dont think he got much out of that class, and the price was 350+ taxes for 6-8 classes.

As for the obedience training, Eric Bernstein is asking for 650 taxes included.
Its personal classes 1 on 1 and he seems to have a good rep from other people who've gotten their dogs trained by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAndDobes View Post
I think that's BS.

OP, you could check this out
https://www.geminik9.com/
I've seen that name around from my research. I don't like that they're pretty far out from the city. As well as not too much information on them.
I have found some other trainers that focus on that, but they are private. More for personal protection. Im guessing they'll be much more expensive.
karlo.b is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Lil Dog
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto, Canada
Dogs Name: Kai

Gallery Pics: 3
Visit karlo.b's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 27 Posts
Images: 3
       
I have also found another trainer at https://www.torontok9center.com

his name is Cliff Roger Richards

anyone heard anything on him?
His prices are fair, hes very strict on obedience before he even considers protection work.

His evaluation process seems strong, he's told me he has turned down many dobermans and only worked with a few that had what it takes.
But price seems to be decent $1500 for full training.
karlo.b is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
obedience , protection , toronto , training

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome