Breeder Search- Euro lines - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Breeding and Breeders Know a good Breeder? Are you a Breeder? Please post here and let us know

 6Likes
  • 2 Post By greenkouki
  • 2 Post By greenkouki
  • 1 Post By Artemis
  • 1 Post By Fitzmar Dobermans
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ssf532's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Breeder Search- Euro lines

Hello!
I am looking for a Doberman breeder, and have found it difficult to decipher good from bad during my internet search. I was hoping to hear opinions from others that are more experienced, and that might have breeder suggestions. I started by looking for euro lines in the U.S., and have begun looking at import options as well. Health testing (esp. VWD and DCM) are important to me for the breeding pair. I have one Doberman currently, Roman, who is now two. He was my husband and I's first Doberman after growing up with GSDs and border collies for farm work, and we have both fallen in love with the breed. Currently do schutzhund work and obedience with Roman as hobby/ sport, and would like to do so with this dog as well. Mind (intelligence and drive) and health are key factors for what I'm looking for, but this dog would also be a member of the family (2 adults and 1 other doberman).

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
ssf532 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ssf532 For This Useful Post:
Gretchen_Red (01-31-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,292
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 20,326
Thanked 31,896 Times in 10,243 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
My suggestion would be to reach out to the UDC or a schutzhund club you're involved with for breeder recommendations. Is there a reason you don't want a well bred American doberman?
Gretchen_Red and ECIN like this.
greenkouki is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
falnfenix (01-31-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ssf532's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
I've reached out locally, and have been given suggestions for someone with litters coming up this year. I just get concerned when there isn't health testing available on the breeding pair- not saying at all that means they're bad breedings. I just want to make sure I take my time and find the right fit for us.

And actually, no to your question about the American lines. I would gladly consider a dog with American lines if it ended up being a good fit for what we're looking for. I guess I just haven't considered American lines because my experience has only been with euro bred dogs thus far. My understanding from online research and word of mouth has been that the American lines are bred to have a more refined conformation/ stature with more of the AKC show ring in mind. From personal bias, I have worked with border collies for herding for many years, and there has been a *huge* difference (in general) between the AKC show bred border collies vs. the ABCA dogs bred to work in terms of mind, drive, and instinct for herding. That has probably influenced my thought process as well, though I get that it's a completely different breed and topic.
That being said, I certainly don't have the experience with the Dobermans to have any firm opinions or thoughts on the differences, so I'd love to hear any knowledge or thoughts from you all on the differences between the two lines.
ssf532 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ssf532 For This Useful Post:
melbrod (01-31-2020)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,292
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 20,326
Thanked 31,896 Times in 10,243 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssf532 View Post
I've reached out locally, and have been given suggestions for someone with litters coming up this year. I just get concerned when there isn't health testing available on the breeding pair- not saying at all that means they're bad breedings. I just want to make sure I take my time and find the right fit for us.

And actually, no to your question about the American lines. I would gladly consider a dog with American lines if it ended up being a good fit for what we're looking for. I guess I just haven't considered American lines because my experience has only been with euro bred dogs thus far. My understanding from online research and word of mouth has been that the American lines are bred to have a more refined conformation/ stature with more of the AKC show ring in mind. From personal bias, I have worked with border collies for herding for many years, and there has been a *huge* difference (in general) between the AKC show bred border collies vs. the ABCA dogs bred to work in terms of mind, drive, and instinct for herding. That has probably influenced my thought process as well, though I get that it's a completely different breed and topic.
That being said, I certainly don't have the experience with the Dobermans to have any firm opinions or thoughts on the differences, so I'd love to hear any knowledge or thoughts from you all on the differences between the two lines.
With all the bad information floating around I can understand that preconceived notion. I think it is a little bit untrue; however. The AKC standard states heavy bone and substance and particular lines do have tons of bone. It is certainly easier to find longevity in a pedigree and health testing results on AKC show bred dogs. I would encourage you to go to some shows and see some of these dogs in the flesh and speak with owners and breeders. Where are you located? I might be able to make some suggestions. You will definitely be looking for a puppy bitch not a dog . Any breeder willing to sell you another male with a young male already in your home is one to be avoided.
mhebner and ECIN like this.
greenkouki is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (01-31-2020), ECIN (01-31-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020), Rosemary (01-31-2020)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit ssf532's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkouki View Post
With all the bad information floating around I can understand that preconceived notion. I think it is a little bit untrue; however. The AKC standard states heavy bone and substance and particular lines do have tons of bone. It is certainly easier to find longevity in a pedigree and health testing results on AKC show bred dogs. I would encourage you to go to some shows and see some of these dogs in the flesh and speak with owners and breeders. Where are you located? I might be able to make some suggestions. You will definitely be looking for a puppy bitch not a dog . Any breeder willing to sell you another male with a young male already in your home is one to be avoided.
That would be great, I really appreciate it. I'm located in southern Maryland, but am willing to travel. Yes, definitely looking for puppy bitch, I agree completely. Ideally a health tested line with substance and ability/ drive for work.
Thank you for taking the time!
ssf532 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssf532 For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (01-31-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
greenkouki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,292
Location: SC

Gallery Pics: 77
Visit greenkouki's Gallery
Thanks: 20,326
Thanked 31,896 Times in 10,243 Posts
Images: 77
                     
Click here to find out how greenkouki became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssf532 View Post
That would be great, I really appreciate it. I'm located in southern Maryland, but am willing to travel. Yes, definitely looking for puppy bitch, I agree completely. Ideally a health tested line with substance and ability/ drive for work.
Thank you for taking the time!
There are shows in West Friendship Feb 15/16. I don't know if it's a big entry in dobermans at these shows but if it's close by it would be worth going. You might also get in contact with the Baltimore dobe club. Talk to @falnfenix https://www.mbdpc.net/
greenkouki is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greenkouki For This Useful Post:
ECIN (01-31-2020), falnfenix (01-31-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:40 PM
Alpha
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,604
Location: Canada
Dogs Name: Vanya (Miniature Pinscher), Nadia (Doberman Pinscher)
Titles: SD CSAU ATT IBAR SPOT CGN WAC BH BSA G1a
Dogs Age: 17/03/09, 26/02/15
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Artemis's Gallery
Thanks: 3,519
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,244 Posts
                     
Greenkouki has offered some good suggestions and already covered some of the common misconceptions. UDC https://uniteddobermanclub.com/ would be a good way to go.
It is harder to find dogs from American show/performance lines with the potential and ability to do bitework, simply because they aren't actively as commonly bred for it/selected for it. That doesn't mean there aren't any out there that can do it though.
Gretchen_Red likes this.


Show yourself
I'm no longer trembling
Here I am
I've come so far
You are the answer I've waited for
All of my life
Artemis is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artemis For This Useful Post:
MeadowCat (02-02-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 01:29 PM
ಠ_ಠ
 
falnfenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,540
Location: Baltimore
Dogs Name: Ripley; R.I.P. Deckard
Titles: WAC
Dogs Age: DOB 7/8/13
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit falnfenix's Gallery
Thanks: 17,460
Thanked 14,460 Times in 4,759 Posts
                     
Hiya! In our region I'd reach out to Sharon Marinelli/SharJet. She bred an IPO3 Ch and all her dogs have drive to work. Her contact info is on the Quaker City DPC website: Quaker City Doberman Pinscher Club - Cardio Clinic

We do have at least one bitesport person IN the club, and I'd definitely send a note via the contact us link at the bottom of the MBDPC page to get info on the next meeting. I've stepped back for at least a year for real life stuff but the club is very active. Next meeting is March, I believe.

“I am the sea witch. I am the tide you fear and the turning you can't deny. I am the sound of the waves running over your bones on the beach, little man, and I am not amused at finding you on my doorstep.”
- the Luidaeg, Chimes at Midnight

DPCA Chapter Club: http://www.mbdpc.net/
Regional rescue: http://www.dobe.net/
falnfenix is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falnfenix For This Useful Post:
Artemis (01-31-2020), greenkouki (02-03-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Alpha
 
Fitzmar Dobermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,260
Location: S. E. Pennsylvania
Dogs Name: Harvard, Jezebel, & Mabel
Titles: AKC CH & GrCh, RN, CGC & CGCA
Dogs Age: 12/20/07, 2/26/12, and 2/26/18
Gallery Pics: 13
Visit Fitzmar Dobermans's Gallery
Thanks: 4,328
Thanked 20,813 Times in 4,605 Posts
Images: 13
                     
Click here to find out how Fitzmar Dobermans became a supporter
I'd second talking to Sharon Marinelli - Sharjet. Her dogs generally have very stable temperaments, and tend to be do it all dogs. Her focus is the AKC conformation ring, but plenty of her dogs do many other sports. She does a lot of health testing, and hosts 3 cardio clinics at her house every year. Sharon is the current president of Quaker City DPC - I'm the recording secretary.
mhebner likes this.

Mary Jo Ansel
Fitzmar


AKC GRCH/UKC CH Fitzmar's Command A Minute CGC "Harvard"
Fitzmar's Victory Hop Devil RN CGC "Jezebel"
Ch Jalyn One Moment Please "Mabel"
Fitzmar Dobermans is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fitzmar Dobermans For This Useful Post:
Artemis (02-02-2020), falnfenix (02-01-2020), greenkouki (02-03-2020), melbrod (01-31-2020)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 21,011
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 49,836
Thanked 64,658 Times in 17,279 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
I would definitely get in touch with the United Doberman Club if you're looking to do IGP (formerly called Schutzhund) with your new pup - you'll probably be looking for working lines rather than show lines, and they'll be much more equipped to help you find the right pup. There are some good working breeders here in the US.

They have a Facebook page, too, if you are on there: https://www.facebook.com/uniteddobermanclub/


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 NW3-C NW3-E RATI SOG DOG TKN SIN SEN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
Artemis (02-02-2020)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome