Breeder in New Jersey area? - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums
Breeding and Breeders Know a good Breeder? Are you a Breeder? Please post here and let us know

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By dobebug
  • 1 Post By MeadowCat
  • 1 Post By Uswerner
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit redshrike's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
 
Breeder in New Jersey area?

I have the same question as the OP expressed. I would like to purchase a female Doberman puppy some time in the next year or two and am researching breeders in my area. The dog would be for a family pet and possibly to run agility for fun and exercise. Health and temperament are the priorities and color-wise black or red would be my first two choices. I live in New Jersey but would be willing to travel to NY/CT/PA etc. Within a days back and fourth drive. My perfect dog would be somewhere between American and European lines.
redshrike is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,540
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,443
Thanked 58,280 Times in 15,851 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
I've moved your post to the general "Breeding and Breeders" forum so it will be seen by more people


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
dax0402 (11-16-2017), greenkouki (11-16-2017)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Alpha
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,923

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit dobebug's Gallery
Thanks: 11,985
Thanked 23,263 Times in 6,101 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshrike View Post
I have the same question as the OP expressed. I would like to purchase a female Doberman puppy some time in the next year or two and am researching breeders in my area. The dog would be for a family pet and possibly to run agility for fun and exercise. Health and temperament are the priorities and color-wise black or red would be my first two choices. I live in New Jersey but would be willing to travel to NY/CT/PA etc. Within a days back and fourth drive. My perfect dog would be somewhere between American and European lines.
There are some very good breeders in New Jersey. You can look any of these up on the DPCA web site under Breeder/New Jersey. Eastwick Dobermans, Sophia Koster DVM--doesn't breed a lot but is a vet and does very nice crops and usually knows other good breeders in the area. Kerwynd Dobermans, Susan Kershaw. Niklby ,Betty Cuzzolino. Sharjet, Sharon Marinelli.

All of these are primarily American showline breeders. One thing to remember if you are trying to compare the look of Euro vs North American Dobermans is that Euro show line dogs are usually shown hog fat by our standards--makes them look bulkier but that may not actually be the case. The show line breeders have wonderful pet puppies in every litter that was bred for the conformation ring and tend to have good temperaments and you are likely to see more health testing in the showline stock.

Euro working Dobermans--tend to be smaller that AKC or Euro showline dogs--because of this,they are usually faster, more agile etc.

Cara Kennel, Ray Carlisle is also a New Jersey breeder but from what I've heard lately has very long waiting lists--in part because he breeds more for working ability than any of the other breeders I've listed.

I'll also stick in another warning here--if you have some thoughts of doing agility with your dog--remember that it's you that will get the most exercise--the ideal agility dog will be exercised elsewhere than in the agility ring because they really need to be fit to run agility. And they also need to be adults (over 18 months or so) before you can start training for the obstacles you find in the agility ring. You can teach a lot of stuff before hand but some of the obstacles (weaves, full sized jumps, teeters, and dog walks) should not be part of the agenda for puppies--too hard on growing joints and tendons.

I don't think any of the breeders I listed breed a lot and I believe most of them have waiting lists but they also have puppies that are worth the wait.

Good luck...
Gretchen_Red likes this.

Last edited by dobebug; 11-15-2017 at 05:48 PM.
dobebug is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobebug For This Useful Post:
Cressrb (11-15-2017), dax0402 (11-16-2017), Fitzmar Dobermans (11-16-2017), greenkouki (11-16-2017), Win (11-30-2017)
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Win
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Win's Gallery
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
 
Do you have contact information for Sharjet? Their long term health oriented husbandry is impressive and I'd like to get in line (male for obedience).
Win is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Win For This Useful Post:
Gretchen_Red (11-07-2019)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
 
MeadowCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,540
Location: MN
Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanks: 47,443
Thanked 58,280 Times in 15,851 Posts
Images: 1
                     
Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
Do you have contact information for Sharjet? Their long term health oriented husbandry is impressive and I'd like to get in line (male for obedience).
From the DPCA Breeder Referral page, Sharon Marinelli's contact information (Sharjet):

(856) 589-1010
[email protected]
Loading
dobebug likes this.


DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT NW1 L1C L1V L1E L1I L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
MeadowCat is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
falnfenix (12-24-2017), melbrod (12-01-2017), Win (12-03-2017)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Big Pup
 
J&LinNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 41
Location: Cuddebackville, NY
Dogs Name: Bell'Lavoro Benedetto Cane Di IL Diavolo (Gabby)
Titles: No
Dogs Age: 22 months
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit J&LinNY's Gallery
Thanks: 20
Thanked 71 Times in 25 Posts
       
If you are interested in a Euro working dog, get in touch with Vicky from Bell'Lavoro in Mt. Hope, NY. her pups are usually gone with out any advertisement. Vicky is not docking and cropping much anymore, but some of her last litter were D&C'd. She recently had a litter of 11 but they are all gone.
She is a wealth of information on the breed, and is definitely not afraid to tell it like it is. Her dogs live in the house with them, are whelped in her kitchen.
Find her on FB
I'm not sure Ray Carlisle is breeding anymore
J&LinNY is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Alpha
 
Fitzmar Dobermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,955
Location: S. E. Pennsylvania
Dogs Name: Harvard, Jezebel, & Mabel
Titles: AKC CH & GrCh, RN, CGC & CGCA
Dogs Age: 12/20/07, 2/26/12, and 2/26/18
Gallery Pics: 13
Visit Fitzmar Dobermans's Gallery
Thanks: 3,891
Thanked 19,465 Times in 4,311 Posts
Images: 13
                     
Click here to find out how Fitzmar Dobermans became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowCat View Post
From the DPCA Breeder Referral page, Sharon Marinelli's contact information (Sharjet):

(856) 589-1010
[email protected]
Loading
I will tell you that Sharon is best reached by phone - she is not an email person and has an adversarial relationships with computers ;-)
I don't know what she has planned litter wise for this coming year, but she is a great breeder.

Mary Jo Ansel
Fitzmar


AKC GRCH/UKC CH Fitzmar's Command A Minute CGC "Harvard"
Fitzmar's Victory Hop Devil RN CGC "Jezebel"
Ch Jalyn One Moment Please "Mabel"
Fitzmar Dobermans is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fitzmar Dobermans For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (12-25-2017), falnfenix (12-25-2017), melbrod (12-25-2017)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:34 PM
ಠ_ಠ
 
falnfenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,362
Location: Baltimore
Dogs Name: Ripley; R.I.P. Deckard
Titles: WAC
Dogs Age: DOB 7/8/13
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit falnfenix's Gallery
Thanks: 16,853
Thanked 13,744 Times in 4,590 Posts
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzmar Dobermans View Post
I will tell you that Sharon is best reached by phone - she is not an email person and has an adversarial relationships with computers ;-)
I don't know what she has planned litter wise for this coming year, but she is a great breeder.
Irene was (hopefully) just bred.

“I am the sea witch. I am the tide you fear and the turning you can't deny. I am the sound of the waves running over your bones on the beach, little man, and I am not amused at finding you on my doorstep.”
- the Luidaeg, Chimes at Midnight

DPCA Chapter Club: http://www.mbdpc.net/
Regional rescue: http://www.dobe.net/
falnfenix is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to falnfenix For This Useful Post:
melbrod (12-25-2017)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Lil Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Dogs Name: Tell us your dogs name

Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Uswerner's Gallery
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
 
I have to weigh in on this topic because of an experience I had with Susan Kershaw of Kerwynd Dobermans in NJ. It’s been several years since I lost my beautiful Doberman Leo, whom we purchased from Kerwynd sometime around 2012. Leo was a gorgeous, sweet and fun-loving male. Hands down the goofiest and sweetest Dobe I’ve ever had (I’ve had four of them). BUT. Leo was prone to psychotic breaks. We didn’t know this until he was about two years old, when he nipped my youngest daughter on the nose. We made excuses for how that could have happened. A year later, out of the blue, when my other daughter reached forward to pet him, he bit her on the lip and she needed multiple stitches.

I took Leo to a dog psychologist (yes there are such people and I loved him that much, even though the writing was on the wall, I couldn’t face it). She told me I should have him put down, because once a dog exhibits psychotic breaks, they’re likely to continue. I couldn’t do it - he was only three years old and still so totally sweet all the time. The psychologist said that if I couldn’t put him down, I’d have to make sure nobody ever petted him, that I would be the only one who could touch him (since I was his alpha).

Ok. Three months later, I was heading out of town on a trip and reached down to say goodbye to Leo, and he ripped the left side of my face open. Fifty plus stitches later, I knew what would have to be done, but it broke my heart. I did put him to sleep the next day, but it remains one of the great traumas of my life, because I did love him so.

Anyway, when I called Sue Kershaw to tell her about this, thinking that the breeder might want to know what bloodlines might be problematic, genetically, she didn’t want to hear anything about it. She said she’d never had any issues with any of her dogs and was eager to get off the phone.

I have no doubt that Kerwynd has many wonderful dogs, but if breeders really want to be responsible, they need to take note of what problems are arising in some of the litters they are breeding. So just a word of warning about Kerwynd.
LadyDi likes this.
Uswerner is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Uswerner For This Useful Post:
Coco Loco (11-07-2019), Cressrb (11-06-2019), ECIN (11-07-2019), falnfenix (11-07-2019), Gretchen_Red (11-07-2019), LadyDi (11-07-2019)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Alpha
 
Cressrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,721
Location: Utah
Dogs Name: Irongates East of the Sunrise, aka 'Jada' CGC, WAC, GrCh. Cha-Rish Mine To Imagine, WAC
Titles: CGC, CH. WAC GCH
Dogs Age: DOB:5/21/12, 1/26/15
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Cressrb's Gallery
Thanks: 10,023
Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,114 Posts
                     
Click here to find out how Cressrb became a supporter
Well written. Thank you.

"Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen, though...That's the problem. " ~ The Tao of Pooh
Cressrb is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Alpha
 
Fitzmar Dobermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,955
Location: S. E. Pennsylvania
Dogs Name: Harvard, Jezebel, & Mabel
Titles: AKC CH & GrCh, RN, CGC & CGCA
Dogs Age: 12/20/07, 2/26/12, and 2/26/18
Gallery Pics: 13
Visit Fitzmar Dobermans's Gallery
Thanks: 3,891
Thanked 19,465 Times in 4,311 Posts
Images: 13
                     
Click here to find out how Fitzmar Dobermans became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uswerner View Post
I have to weigh in on this topic because of an experience I had with Susan Kershaw of Kerwynd Dobermans in NJ. It’s been several years since I lost my beautiful Doberman Leo, whom we purchased from Kerwynd sometime around 2012. Leo was a gorgeous, sweet and fun-loving male. Hands down the goofiest and sweetest Dobe I’ve ever had (I’ve had four of them). BUT. Leo was prone to psychotic breaks. We didn’t know this until he was about two years old, when he nipped my youngest daughter on the nose. We made excuses for how that could have happened. A year later, out of the blue, when my other daughter reached forward to pet him, he bit her on the lip and she needed multiple stitches.

I took Leo to a dog psychologist (yes there are such people and I loved him that much, even though the writing was on the wall, I couldn’t face it). She told me I should have him put down, because once a dog exhibits psychotic breaks, they’re likely to continue. I couldn’t do it - he was only three years old and still so totally sweet all the time. The psychologist said that if I couldn’t put him down, I’d have to make sure nobody ever petted him, that I would be the only one who could touch him (since I was his alpha).

Ok. Three months later, I was heading out of town on a trip and reached down to say goodbye to Leo, and he ripped the left side of my face open. Fifty plus stitches later, I knew what would have to be done, but it broke my heart. I did put him to sleep the next day, but it remains one of the great traumas of my life, because I did love him so.

Anyway, when I called Sue Kershaw to tell her about this, thinking that the breeder might want to know what bloodlines might be problematic, genetically, she didn’t want to hear anything about it. She said she’d never had any issues with any of her dogs and was eager to get off the phone.

I have no doubt that Kerwynd has many wonderful dogs, but if breeders really want to be responsible, they need to take note of what problems are arising in some of the litters they are breeding. So just a word of warning about Kerwynd.
I'm really very sorry this happened to you. I know Sue Kershaw personally and I can't imagine that that is how she handled this news. She really does care about the dogs she produces, and I'm sure she appreciated you letting her know. Just like humans, dogs can be mentally ill and there are several reasons why a dog would exhibit this kind of behavior for both mental, environmental, and physical reasons. I have a personal dog that is great with us, but is reactive to other dogs (except the ones she lives with) and sometimes people she does not know .... mostly in our home. She has excellent bloodlines and there are no issues with any of her littermate. Sometimes this just happens. Dobermans are also one of the breeds that can be affected by what we call "rage syndrome " - it is not common but there are documented cases. It is not generally genetic that I know of.

Mary Jo Ansel
Fitzmar


AKC GRCH/UKC CH Fitzmar's Command A Minute CGC "Harvard"
Fitzmar's Victory Hop Devil RN CGC "Jezebel"
Ch Jalyn One Moment Please "Mabel"
Fitzmar Dobermans is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fitzmar Dobermans For This Useful Post:
Coco Loco (11-07-2019), Cressrb (11-07-2019), ECIN (11-07-2019), melbrod (11-07-2019)
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome