Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Hey All - Hello From Our All Black New Pup!

27K views 107 replies 68 participants last post by  Turbo69 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks to everyone who shares pictures/stories/information on this website....I have been using it to further educate myself on the joys of having a Dobie! I thought I should probably stop reading from the shadows and post a picture or two of our new little man - Leon.

We found this guy through a close friend's breeder. We've been talking about getting another Dobie for a while and thought it wouldn't hurt to stop by and look at the new puppies. Of course we fell in love with all of them. We had no idea a solid black even existed and after we saw him we had a tough time deciding which to add to the family.

Yes, he is SOLID BLACK. This had me a little hesitant to even post a picture of him in fear of reader's negativity (after doing some reading about other posts on solid blacks)...but hopefully that won't happen :). Both his parents are AKC registered and were on-site. He has the frame and personality of all other Dobies. He was in a litter with another solid black female, a couple other black/rusts and one blue and one red. This is our second

Here he is after we first brought him home...and another two weeks after getting his ears done.

Enjoy!

Bare with me on figuring out how to post the correct size photos.

7 weeks

14 weeks

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks to everyone who shares pictures/stories/information on this website....I have been using it to further educate myself on the joys of having a Dobie! I thought I should probably stop reading from the shadows and post a picture or two of our new little man - Leon.

We found this guy through a close friend's breeder. We've been talking about getting another Dobie for a while and thought it wouldn't hurt to stop by and look at the new puppies. Of course we fell in love with all of them. We had no idea a solid black even existed and after we saw him we had a tough time deciding which to add to the family.

Yes, he is SOLID BLACK. This had me a little hesitant to even post a picture of him in fear of reader's negativity (after doing some reading about other posts on solid blacks)...but hopefully that won't happen . Both his parents are AKC registered and were on-site. He has the frame and personality of all other Dobies. He was in a litter with another solid black female, a couple other black/rusts and one blue and one red. This is our second

Here he is after we first brought him home...and another two weeks after getting his ears done.
Very cute pictures--and welcome to DT.

If you've been reading other information about "all black" Dobermans you probably have learned already that they are a fault in that the puppy does not show the markings as required by the standard. Too much melanisim (the pigment that controls the color). He may lighten up some with age--you can see that the black on his muzzle is different than the black on his forehead. A good many puppies who have a lot of black on their muzzles and feet do lighten in time.

Doesn't make much difference--he's yours, he's cute--the coloring isn't correct but it's explainable.

Enjoy your new guy.

#21 ·
I don't. I don't give half a fig if his color is classed as a fault.

What I do care about is welcoming the OP to the one Doberman forum who will have the integrity to inform about the perils of buying from an unethical BYB.

OP, your pup is cute (pretty much all Doberman puppies are!) and I sure hope you got copies and documentation of OFA results on both parents, and the grandparents of this litter, at the least, as well as proof of annual echo/holtor on both parents, thyroid, CERF, and a good explanation from the breeder as to which health problems are most prevalent in your little guy's pedigree, so you will know what to look out for in future, as well as be proactive about testing for.

Yes, he is SOLID BLACK. This had me a little hesitant to even post a picture of him in fear of reader's negativity (after doing some reading about other posts on solid blacks)...but hopefully that won't happen :).

:welldone:

Of course not all of us here on this forum agree with the stuck up "Doberman Masters of the Universe" when picking apart someones Dobbie! Don't be afraid to post anything, you'd be suprised at how versiatle the "other members" can be!

I think he's beautiful and he looks like a "Ninja Doberman" sneeky sneeky! What a beautiful silky coat. He has a very sweet face! Enjoy your baby!!!

Kira Hime sends him kisses!
How foul of you, to say that.

I've not seen one person here "pick apart someones Dobbie!"(sic)

The dog is innocent, and deserves to be loved, now its here.

The humans involved often are not so innocent, and folks like you who continue to support unethical breeders...well, you're hideously insensitive to those of us who've held beloved young Dobermans as they took their last breath...all because so many breeders don't know what they're really doing, nor do some of them care.

Welcome to DT! Your pup is cute and it'll be interesting to see if his coat changes a little as he grows.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a "lets bash the passionate members of DT" sort of thread. That being said, for us who support the ethical breeders I want to suggest not saying this...

Cute, and possibly a joke, but we really don't need another fault popularized (warlocks, albinos) so that the BYBers can jump onto it.

Please continue to post pics as he grows. I've never seen an all black dobie and he is super cute.
Good call.

Please don't perpetuate myths, even as a joke.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Yes, he is SOLID BLACK. This had me a little hesitant to even post a picture of him in fear of reader's negativity (after doing some reading about other posts on solid blacks)...but hopefully that won't happen :)."

:welldone:

Of course not all of us here on this forum agree with the stuck up "Doberman Masters of the Universe" when picking apart someones Dobbie! Don't be afraid to post anything, you'd be suprised at how versiatle the "other members" can be!

I think he's beautiful and he looks like a "Ninja Doberman" sneeky sneeky! What a beautiful silky coat. He has a very sweet face! Enjoy your baby!!!

Kira Hime sends him kisses!

#13 ·
...I think he's beautiful and he looks like a "Ninja Doberman" sneeky sneeky!...
Yes, I can definitely anticipate that you're going to have much difficulty in the future convincing the casual observer (non-Doberman aficionado) that your cute boy is indeed a Doberman!

Maybe you could explain to the layman that he is one of the rare "Ninja Dobermans" (as already suggested) or how about "Stealth Doberman" or "Phantom Doberman"? What the heck, why not just pull out all the stops and call him a "Super Ninja Phantom Warlock King Doberman" ?! :shocking:

You're also going to have trouble detecting when a "Dobe Poke" is coming your way!! :)

#12 ·
Welcome to DT and grats on your new pup! Thanks for posting pictures, he is very neat. I do hope the breeders aren't purposely trying to breed for solid blacks though and that both of them were sold with spay/neuter contracts. You sound like you really care about your pup so I hope your breeder did the proper genetic health testing on the sire and dam. Do you plan on doing any sport with him or is he going to be just a spoiled pet? :)

#24 ·
Thank you all for the welcomes!

I honestly don't know if they did genetic testing on the sire/dam. I have never seen an all black before him. I went there just looking for a dobe for their personality and companionship. Of course he will only be our spoiled pet. I'm just a regular person with a dog haha.

Welcome to DT! Your pup is cute and it'll be interesting to see if his coat changes a little as he grows.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a "lets bash the passionate members of DT" sort of thread. That being said, for us who support the ethical breeders I want to suggest not saying this...

Cute, and possibly a joke, but we really don't need another fault popularized (warlocks, albinos) so that the BYBers can jump onto it.

Please continue to post pics as he grows. I've never seen an all black dobie and he is super cute.
Thanks for the comment, and I definitely agree. I took all those comments of people just having a sense of humor. Of course I wouldn't go posting or telling people any "made-up" names to refer to an all black dobe.

I don't. I don't give half a fig if his color is classed as a fault.

What I do care about is welcoming the OP to the one Doberman forum who will have the integrity to inform about the perils of buying from an unethical BYB.

OP, your pup is cute (pretty much all Doberman puppies are!) and I sure hope you got copies and documentation of OFA results on both parents, and the grandparents of this litter, at the least, as well as proof of annual echo/holtor on both parents, thyroid, CERF, and a good explanation from the breeder as to which health problems are most prevalent in your little guy's pedigree, so you will know what to look out for in future, as well as be proactive about testing for.

The dog is innocent, and deserves to be loved, now its here.
Thank you for the comment and information. Fortunately, while his color display is not commonly seen, I couldn't find any scientific evidence whatsoever that his appearance will predispose him to any additional health problems seen in all other dobes. I do have his pedigree chart and there is no evidence of any crossed lines. I would definitely not want to fall in love with a dog that would develop an abnormal personality or health concerns, simply because of an unique color. All of his vet visits have been excellent and he is a great little pup.

By no means did I start this thread with his pictures to start any debate or stir any pot. I wanted to share my passion for the doberman breed with others who feel the same. I have loved looking through the threads and reading peoples stories. There is a lot of great information on this site and I appreciate everyone who shares (especially the great tutorials on posting, as we started doing it ourselves yesterday to save a 30min car ride each week).

As long as no one gets too worked up I will keep sharing pics as he grows. I wish he wasn't growing so fast, he is having more and more trouble sitting on my lap :)

Love from Leon!

#20 ·

spocksdad said:
Maybe you could explain to the layman that he is one of the rare "Ninja Dobermans" (as already suggested) or how about "Stealth Doberman" or "Phantom Doberman"? What the heck, why not just pull out all the stops and call him a "Super Ninja Phantom Warlock King Doberman" ?!

#25 ·
Leon is beautiful and looks like he will be a daunting size. I want to reach out and hug him!

I have an American champion male, Joe, from an excellent breeder and he, too, has his faults. My advice which I am sure you already know is never support a byb in any manner including pet shops, newspaper purchases, etc., but to absolutely be proud of Leon and love him with every breath you take.

I have owned Dobes for 30 years and this board is one of the first places I search when looking for answers and advice. There are amazing folks here who give their time and advice just for the betterment of this breed. We can’t buy the knowledge freely shared on this board.

Any way, a heart-felt welcome to you and Leon.

Be sure to post more photos. Leon is a hunk. What’s his personality like?

KC/Linda

#31 ·
Sorry, I challenge the fact this is a purebred doberman.

It is a known fact that a litter of puppies can have multiple sires. The breeder may think this is sired by a doberman but may in fact have not been.

It looks questionable to me but a DNA would prove beyond a doubt.

Reactions: brw1982 and LVdobe
#32 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum from PA. Your puppy is adorable. Please stick around and learn from the wealth of information and knowledge about Dobermans on this forum. Like others have said, your puppy is innocent and is in your care now to do everything you can to give him a loving, forever home. As you read more and more on this forum, you will come to learn why the people are here are so passionate about BYB and "greeders" and what they are doing to this noble breed. Hope to see more pictures of your boy.

#36 ·
Sorry KgDDS….
“So it’s apparent that RedFawnRising and EmilyB are both my Nemesis” Respectfully, & since they called me out personally “again” I will have to answer.

@RedFawnRising
“I’ve not seen one person here “pick apart some ones Dobbie”

I was actually responding to KgDDS his quote…
“A little hesitant to even post a picture of him in fear of reader’s negativity (after doing some reading about other posts on solid blacks)… but hopefully that won’t happen.”

Humm… I wonder why anyone would feel this way? But I guess this never happens…

@KgDDS it would seam that you and I are the only two members who notice this.

Not to pair you with me because I don’t want you to be “Shunned by association.”
I was just hoping that you would be strong enough to realize that some people on this site “would not” throw up the red flags at you for owning an all black Doberman or purchasing one. I loved the pictures and think he’s unique with his…
“stealthy-ninja-ness”

@KgDDS
“The unethical breeders” I support “RedFawnRising” would be referring too I guess would be (either your breeder which I said nothing in support of or) “Backbone Kennel” from Argentina, since this was the first time and only time I apparently, “supported an unethical breeder."

There was a thread asking if anyone knew about them, you can read it if you’d like.
Go to my “Profile” and click on “ststistics” then on “Find all posts by HerMewMew” page two you will see the “Anyone here knows Backbone Kennel”

I am thinking this is also what she is basing “Stir the pot” as well.
Because I don’t agree with most of the other members on that thread, that Backbone Kennel’s dogs are unworthy of their titles.

I gave a brief (positive) statement that my Kira came from Argentina and one of the dogs listed is her Grandfather…

Apparently EmilyB accuses me of “Pimping your dogs (my dogs) ancestors.”
And RedFawnRising’s first response was, “Um, not to be snotty or anything….” Bla bla bla.

As far as me being, “hideously insensitive to those of us who’ve held beloved young Dobermans as they took their last breath.” As quoted from RedFawnRising…
I have no clue what she’s talking about. I guess she just needed a dramatic closing sentence to her personal attack of “FICTION.”

#37 ·
@HerMewMew - We pick apart breeders and people who defend byb's, not dogs. It's not the dog's fault if they are brought into the world by a byb/greeder/whatever so why would we blame them? However, if somebody supports a byb even if they know better then yes, sometimes we pick them apart too. However, never the poor, innocent dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.