Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New to the site and looking for advise

3K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  angelamaria 
#1 ·
Hello I'm here to say hi, and say that I've poked my nose into a few gallerys, and threads before I signed up; loving what I see btw.
My question is that we currently live in central PA, we would love to buy ourselves our first Dobe in the near future (hopefully), and do not really know who is a responsible breeder in the area? I have looked at the breeder in Millersburg and though every site I find people are saying what wonderful pups they have, the breeders do not offer certificates for health, or even pedegree on their website and generally do not tell the potential puppy owners.
SO we've kinda crossed them off of our list.
I am currently looking at Desert Legend Dobermans East professionally breeds and sells high quality, super sized Dobermans
they offer an overall health garentee for a year and 3 year health garentee for cancer and Dysplasia with proof from the vet. The garentee I assume is standard in that they offer a new pup of your choosing for free or monetary refund.
I have found other sites but they seem to be ones that just pick their dog to mate with another on occasion or they seem to have a farm of dogs. Needless to say I don't want something like that. We are willing to travel out of state (though not enthusastically) to find the right breeder and yes we like the idea of rescue but my hubby won't look unless they are pups. So any advise given is welcome and thanks in advanced!

See less See more
#6 ·
thanks for the warm welcome!!!
I will be sure to check out that link thanks!
My hubby grew up (mostly) in FL and as a young child his parents breed dobies and he absolutely loves them and I fell in love with the stories and intelligence they have. I figured if we were in FL he or his mom could remember some breeders they networked with. But no connections here in PA so thought this would be a great resource! :butfly:

#8 ·
here is the agreement they emailed me

well some quotes of the actual document...feel free to tell me if anything is out of place! sorry couldn't do this as attachment it went over the proper size..
Ear Cropping: (Check one)
• Yes, I want the ears cropped by your Veterinarian; add $375 (approx depending on dog). This includes: pain medication, antibiotics, care for the ears during the healing, stitch removal, the ear taping materials for you to complete the setting process, complete instruction manual with pictures and email or phone consultations.
Guarantee policy:
Our goal is to find good homes for all our puppies. They are loyal, smart, have their own personality and are just like little people, they deserve a good family to love. We don’t want anyone to be unhappy with his or her selection.
• 12 month Health guarantee - If your Desert Legend Doberman dies or is crippled by Distemper, Hepatitis, or Leptospirosis within twelve months after purchase, return the AKC certificate, a veterinarian certificate as to cause of death and we will replace him/her at no additional charge.
• Cancer Guarantee - Cancer can be a factor in all breeds, but at Desert Legend Dobermans, if you should have that misfortune within 3 years, a replacement puppy shall be given to you. Veterinarian certification required along with the AKC certificate.
• Dysplasia Guarantee - There will be a 3 year guarantee for this condition of a Desert Legend Doberman, if he is found to be crippled from dysplasia, return him to our facility, along with AKC certificate, and we will replace the dog at no additional charge. Dog must be proper weight.
• Replacement guarantee when shipping - If the puppy dies for some reason during shipping, a replacement puppy will be given at no charge, including shipping. An affidavit from the shipping airline or carrier will be required.
• Incentive - If your Desert Legend Doberman wins a Schutzhund Level 3 or Regional or better registered agility title, you will receive 25% refund off the base purchase price. We will need photos and proof, of course
The following are the responsibilities and options of the breeder:
• The breeder reserves the right to refuse to sell to any person or family that she feels may not provide a good and responsible home for the puppy, this includes canceling this agreement.
• The puppies are not sold with any known health problems.
• The dew claws are removed and tails docked when the puppies are 3-5 days old.
• Puppy shots are given at 6 and 8 weeks old. Puppies are wormed regularly starting at 4 weeks old . We use different formulas so you are assured of a parasite free puppy. Shot and worming records arrive with the puppy. Consult with your veterinarian for your puppies future worming, heartworm and shot needs.
• After the puppies are weaned we feed only a Super Premium dry puppy food. We use “Breeders Select” Large Breed Puppy food. We find that this provides the necessary nutrition for proper growth, joint and bone development and skin care for our large breed dogs. This was specially formulated for our large breed dogs.
• All precautions have been taken to ensure the puppies are clean, healthy and no outside contact with other dogs or people (except the veterinarian clinic, and employees) during this critical 8 weeks after birth.
• All puppies are imprinted and socialized (handled by the breeder and employees) from birth and are very comfortable being picked up and handled. Weather permitting they are exposed to a tub of water outside, toys, and other loud noises. We have found that the extensive socializing program we have in place makes our puppies better adjusted to fit in with their new families and they are easier to train.
• We provide the buyer with the necessary paperwork to register the puppies with AKC.
• Breeder issues all of its puppies as limited registration. Limited registration is defined by the AKC as “The dog is not to be used for breeding. Entry in dog events is restricted”.
• All shipped puppies come with a health certificate from a veterinarian.
• Puppies can be picked up at 8 weeks old if they are not having their ears cropped; shipping is done at 10 weeks old, which is 2 weeks after the ear cropping, if that is done. This process is different for international shipping.

Buyer’s Responsibilities:
• Love your new family member and provide a good home. He/she will love and protect you and your family with their life.
• Socialize your puppy with people, take them to PetSmart, Petco or the park. Only after your pet has completed the remaining series of shots needed.
• Your dog requires regular exercise, they love to go jogging with you and most love to play play.
• Give the entire set of puppy shots, consult with your veterinarian.
• Get Rabies shot when due, check your shot records & consult with your veterinarian.
• Do not let your new puppy jump off of anything over 8 inches high until they are 4-6 months old, their joints need to develop before excessive activity (stairs, jumping off sofa, etc.).
• If you purchased one of the colored (blue or fawn) puppies, they will require a little special care. They cannot spend all day in the sunlight, due to the sensitive skin and eyes, just like redheads and blondes have a fair complexion and are more sensitive to the sun. Please use common sense.
• Get obedience training for your puppy starting at 4 months, this will help you when they mature and become too big to handle, just like raising a child, you don’t start teaching him when he is a teenager.
• Basic protection training is not necessary. Doberman Pinschers are bred for personal protection and need no special training to protect you or your property.
• Pay shipping costs, which includes the crate. This varies depending on where we are shipping and what form of shipping we are using.
• Feed your puppy a Super Premium “Large Breed Puppy” food, we use and recommend only All American Pet Products “Breeders Select” Large Breed Puppy food, specially formulated to meet the needs of these dogs. They will need this until they are 1 year old.
I thought the litter price was a lil steep but at the same time I don't know...
Litters:
Litter Requested and prices: (Make 2 selections; first and second choice)
Check out our website to see the description of our sire and dams.

___ Lobster/Jayden $1800 Summer 2011
___ Lobster/Dyna $2500 Spring 2011
___ Lobster/Reign $2500 Spring 2011

#9 ·
well some quotes of the actual document...feel free to tell me if anything is out of place! sorry couldn't do this as attachment it went over the proper size..
Ear Cropping: (Check one)
• Yes, I want the ears cropped by your Veterinarian; add $375 (approx depending on dog). This includes: pain medication, antibiotics, care for the ears during the healing, stitch removal, the ear taping materials for you to complete the setting process, complete instruction manual with pictures and email or phone consultations.
Guarantee policy:
Our goal is to find good homes for all our puppies. They are loyal, smart, have their own personality and are just like little people, they deserve a good family to love. We don’t want anyone to be unhappy with his or her selection.
• 12 month Health guarantee - If your Desert Legend Doberman dies or is crippled by Distemper, Hepatitis, or Leptospirosis within twelve months after purchase, return the AKC certificate, a veterinarian certificate as to cause of death and we will replace him/her at no additional charge.
• Cancer Guarantee - Cancer can be a factor in all breeds, but at Desert Legend Dobermans, if you should have that misfortune within 3 years, a replacement puppy shall be given to you. Veterinarian certification required along with the AKC certificate.
• Dysplasia Guarantee - There will be a 3 year guarantee for this condition of a Desert Legend Doberman, if he is found to be crippled from dysplasia, return him to our facility, along with AKC certificate, and we will replace the dog at no additional charge. Dog must be proper weight.
• Replacement guarantee when shipping - If the puppy dies for some reason during shipping, a replacement puppy will be given at no charge, including shipping. An affidavit from the shipping airline or carrier will be required.
• Incentive - If your Desert Legend Doberman wins a Schutzhund Level 3 or Regional or better registered agility title, you will receive 25% refund off the base purchase price. We will need photos and proof, of courseThe following are the responsibilities and options of the breeder:
• The breeder reserves the right to refuse to sell to any person or family that she feels may not provide a good and responsible home for the puppy, this includes canceling this agreement.
• The puppies are not sold with any known health problems.
• The dew claws are removed and tails docked when the puppies are 3-5 days old.
• Puppy shots are given at 6 and 8 weeks old. Puppies are wormed regularly starting at 4 weeks old . We use different formulas so you are assured of a parasite free puppy. Shot and worming records arrive with the puppy. Consult with your veterinarian for your puppies future worming, heartworm and shot needs.
• After the puppies are weaned we feed only a Super Premium dry puppy food. We use “Breeders Select” Large Breed Puppy food. We find that this provides the necessary nutrition for proper growth, joint and bone development and skin care for our large breed dogs. This was specially formulated for our large breed dogs.
• All precautions have been taken to ensure the puppies are clean, healthy and no outside contact with other dogs or people (except the veterinarian clinic, and employees) during this critical 8 weeks after birth.
• All puppies are imprinted and socialized (handled by the breeder and employees) from birth and are very comfortable being picked up and handled. Weather permitting they are exposed to a tub of water outside, toys, and other loud noises. We have found that the extensive socializing program we have in place makes our puppies better adjusted to fit in with their new families and they are easier to train.
• We provide the buyer with the necessary paperwork to register the puppies with AKC.
• Breeder issues all of its puppies as limited registration. Limited registration is defined by the AKC as “The dog is not to be used for breeding. Entry in dog events is restricted”.
• All shipped puppies come with a health certificate from a veterinarian.
• Puppies can be picked up at 8 weeks old if they are not having their ears cropped; shipping is done at 10 weeks old, which is 2 weeks after the ear cropping, if that is done. This process is different for international shipping.

Buyer’s Responsibilities:
• Love your new family member and provide a good home. He/she will love and protect you and your family with their life.
• Socialize your puppy with people, take them to PetSmart, Petco or the park. Only after your pet has completed the remaining series of shots needed.
• Your dog requires regular exercise, they love to go jogging with you and most love to play play.
• Give the entire set of puppy shots, consult with your veterinarian.
• Get Rabies shot when due, check your shot records & consult with your veterinarian.
• Do not let your new puppy jump off of anything over 8 inches high until they are 4-6 months old, their joints need to develop before excessive activity (stairs, jumping off sofa, etc.).
• If you purchased one of the colored (blue or fawn) puppies, they will require a little special care. They cannot spend all day in the sunlight, due to the sensitive skin and eyes, just like redheads and blondes have a fair complexion and are more sensitive to the sun. Please use common sense.
• Get obedience training for your puppy starting at 4 months, this will help you when they mature and become too big to handle, just like raising a child, you don’t start teaching him when he is a teenager.
• Basic protection training is not necessary. Doberman Pinschers are bred for personal protection and need no special training to protect you or your property.
• Pay shipping costs, which includes the crate. This varies depending on where we are shipping and what form of shipping we are using.
• Feed your puppy a Super Premium “Large Breed Puppy” food, we use and recommend only All American Pet Products “Breeders Select” Large Breed Puppy food, specially formulated to meet the needs of these dogs. They will need this until they are 1 year old.
I thought the litter price was a lil steep but at the same time I don't know...
Litters:
Litter Requested and prices: (Make 2 selections; first and second choice)
Check out our website to see the description of our sire and dams.

___ Lobster/Jayden $1800 Summer 2011
___ Lobster/Dyna $2500 Spring 2011
___ Lobster/Reign $2500 Spring 2011
Bold mine.

I have really been trying to be good lately, but a SchH3? Are they f**king crazy? They have never even put a BH on a dog. The dogs I saw in AZ (which indeed are the same dogs as they are business partners now) couldn't sniff a SchH3 in their lifetime. And 2500? Are they smoking crack? Untitled, unhealth tested. I almost fell out of my chair.

OP, do yourself a favor and do NOT get a puppy from them.

#10 ·
Is this them?

Seriously?

Desert Legend Dobermans: Home

At Desert Legend we are the number one breeder of Doberman Pinschers in the United States. We are noted for our Super Size AKC Dobermans that are bred for their size, conformation, and temperament.

Desert Legend Dobermans can be your family's best friend and protector or can be used as service dogs, or estate/executive guard dogs.

Suzan Baker is a confirmation expert and has searched the United States, Canada, Europe and Russia to find the proper combination of breeding dogs to provide you with the finest guard dogs possible. These dogs are fast, agile and able to outrun
an intruder if needed.

We offer a Doberman for any want or need from the fast, agile and athletic dog to the bulky and aggressive animal preferred as guard and protection dogs.

Because of their size, gentle nature and excellent conformation, a Doberman is
the ideal choice as a guard dog to protect your family or estate. As a protector a Doberman Pincher cannot be bribed or paid off, they are loyal and protect the
family they love. For this very reason we have sold animals to celebrities and political figures.

At Desert Legend everything is done first class because our dogs and clients deserve nothing less. The dogs receive the finest foods, ample exercise and the best in socialization and love. Starting correctly is vital to the dog and its
integration into their new family. Our clients love our dogs. Click here for more.

We have made it possible for anyone to own one of these SUPERIOR Doberman Pinschers with a variety of payment options: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Pay Pal or a payment plan to fit your budget.

#11 ·
That is Desert Legend the original, now Desert Legend West. They sold Lobster to Desert Legend East to start it up. I guess he out grew his usefulness in AZ.

These guys show up to the SchH regional events all the time and promote themselves as "the biggest breeder of Dobermans in America". I don't know what their definition is about biggest breeder, but I can't fathom that in any definition of the word. When I saw a few (they brought dogs and business cards!), the dogs' comformation were poor and they had somewhat shifty temperaments.

I find it ironic that they keep showing up to SchH events when they have NO SchH titles on ANY of their dogs. They also aren't members of any of the clubs in the area, or at least weren't when I was in AZ.

#24 ·
That is Desert Legend the original, now Desert Legend West. They sold Lobster to Desert Legend East to start it up. I guess he out grew his usefulness in AZ.

These guys show up to the SchH regional events all the time and promote themselves as "the biggest breeder of Dobermans in America". I don't know what their definition is about biggest breeder, but I can't fathom that in any definition of the word. When I saw a few (they brought dogs and business cards!), the dogs' comformation were poor and they had somewhat shifty temperaments.

I find it ironic that they keep showing up to SchH events when they have NO SchH titles on ANY of their dogs. They also aren't members of any of the clubs in the area, or at least weren't when I was in AZ.
WTF? Now we've got these sorts of breeders setting up franchises across the country? That's just super.

Dobelvrs, there are plenty of excellent breeders in the North East that not only provide health guarantees, but also ACTUALLY HEALTH TEST THEIR OWN DOGS. What are you looking for in a Doberman? Would you like to compete in a venue like showing or agility or obedience or protection sports? Are you looking for a dog for personal protection purposes? Or are you looking for a companion / family pet? Different breeders breed with different purposes in mind so the answer to the questions above can help posters to narrow down their recommendations.

#12 ·
JMHO.....Health guarantees are great to offer for the seller....but in all reality please ask yourself after you are completely attached and in love with your new dobie and they have a health issue, are you really going to return the dog and get a new one in it's place from the same greeder that could potentially down the road have the same problems crop up? I'd keep it movin. There are plenty of pet quality dobes from titled and health tested parents/pedigrees for less money.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Hi and welcome from another Pennsylvanian. Please do your research. This forum is a wealth of information on Dobermans and responsible breeders. Have you thought about rescue? There are 3 very good Doberman rescues in PA.
Thank you all for the information! I am currently looking at one of the websites give to me and have looked at many others already. ----We are not excluding rescues at all!!!-- we just thought since we have a cat, and two young kids 4, who will be 5 in May and an 8 yr. old that many rescues may not adopt a dog to us for those reasons. We also would like to have a young to baby aged pup so that we have the longest amount of time with them as well.
Our location also seems to hinder our ability to make the drive to just visit a breeders/rescues dogs a problem. (We live roughly an hour north of harrisburg; and lets face it PA is a lot of backroads making it very difficult to drive in any sort of straight line). We want to be able to visit and interact with the dog/pup to make sure they fit in our family and visit a few times; maybe even one time with our cat to see if the dog will see our cat as a toy or a friend.

Reactions: dax0402
#14 ·
The Guarantee isn't bad if you don't mind giving up your dog after 2-3 years. Their prices are outrageous. I assure you that you can get a better bred dog, from health tested parents, including ear crop, guarantee, breeder support, etc. for $500-$1000 less than Desert.... (can you say rip-off?).

You are getting a great education here, and kudos to you for doing your research, asking questions and keeping an open mind.

#15 ·
You are getting a great education here, and kudos to you for doing your research, asking questions and keeping an open mind.

Can't stress this enough. Welcome to DT!

#18 ·
Songbird Sings

Greetings. Well, in this request for advice, you have quite clearly stated what you want and you have quite clearly stated what you do not want. And next added to that you've clearly stated that not all advice is believable - all before I've said a word (l.o.l.) !! So now, what am I to say? It's now just a matter of you going out to see the goods and making a choice that seems to be one thar will make you happy. I wish you the best.:)

#19 ·
#20 ·
THE SONGBIRD WORD
One bit of advice I will give ya' is this. Your FIRST question to any and every breeder should be "Do YOU have the goods to sell me?" Based on their yes or no answer right there you may get to know whether or not the person you speak to wishes to be of any help or not. Keep in mind that this business of dog breeding is often made a political game. So it's full of bad breeders who badmouth one another. And often such badmouthers will sell ya' somethin' bad before they sell ya' somethin' good. Always the bottom line has ta' be "What do YOU have ta' sell?"

#21 ·
A quick glance of the people who were helpful in this thread and it looks like the only breeder here is me, and I don't have a litter. So I am confused. Are you saying that we are trying to sell the OP a puppy? Is that what you mean by goods? We are talking animals here, not goods. IMO, nobody is trying to sell this person a puppy, just helping them find a reputable breeder that follows within the guidlines set forth from the DT manifesto.

Here is what I use when looking at breeders.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

I am not pointing to me or other breeders I know, just things that are important to me in a breeder. It has been my experience with Desert Legend that they do NOT fall in to a good breeder to me.

#23 ·
Actually, I had not read either or the posts from these breeders who are thinking that my song was about them!! Nevertheless the SONGBIRD camp need not not reply to either as both have obviously been moved to confess that they do not have those goods I spoke of to sell. This is ALL this buyer wants... a GOOD puppy given up. My policy on this is that I will not even breed it and offer it to her... unless it's good. Thus, I will not discontinue my usage of the word "good" in the education of these buyers who ask me for advice.:)

#26 ·
uumm...

Well all, I've been MIA on here since last week. It's because my dad had a sudden and fatal heart attack, tonight was the veiwing and tomarrow is the funeral.
I will be on maybe later this week to get my mind off of things, for now I'll continue to be MIA and some how stay focused on school....not sure how well I'll do this semsester......anyway I don't mean to be a downer but I felt I needed to say something.
:emo11:
-night all

#28 ·
Make sure you look at what you at and inform the breeder (when you find the right one) of what exactly you want you dog for. You stated "we currently do not have plans for agility, shows, schutzhund, etc." there for it would be wise to stay away from dobes with high energy and high work drive. A great breeder (we aren't looking for just good breeders anymore) will be able to fit the perfect pup to you. They will also have health guarantees in the lines such as: low incidences of cancers, DCM (which they now have a genetic test for one of the genes that cause this), Wobblers (which they are doing research to find the gene currently), Eyes are checked & clear, VWD clear, PennHIP checks ( I personally prefer over OFA becuase it is more actuate), OFA's done on hips and elbow joints, and Thyroid tested. A great breeder will also be willing to give you a pedigree of the lines behind the pups and will be willing to tell you what the dogs died of and what age (if they know).

For any of my breeding dogs, I have had, if one of the genetic tests come back negative or the dog is affected I get them fixed. Those are not traits I want passed on. My dog may be tainted but I refuse to taint future lines and the breed itself.

If you don't care about the dogs lines then don't get the dog from a breeder. There are so many loving dobes, even pups, in rescues and shelters that have mystery lines with great temperaments. It is also the job of the shelters to fit the right home to the dog. Always remember, dogs are far more forgiving than people. They can be run through hell and still turn around and lick the face of their abuser. That is one reason I would trust a dog over people any day.

Welcome, and happy hunting.

#29 ·
So sorry about the loss of your dad. :( Your family is in my thoughts.

Reactions: Dobelvrs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.