Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Town Hall Topic - Crate Training/Housebreaking
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Dobe_Paws

Gallery Pics: 27
Visit Dobe_Paws's Gallery

What type of crate do you use and what materials does your doberman lie on.

The crate I have for Ava is a giant vari-kennel. She seemed to feel more comfortable in those vs. the wire crates. In the crate, I kept a thick sheepskin blanket for her

How did you train your doberman to use the crate, how long did it take?

It didn't take her very long to understand the concept of the crate. I started out by putting treats in there and letting her walk in and out of it freely. Then I started to feed her in there and would keep in her for short periods of time... Each time being a little longer than the last. I can't say she was very thrilled about it at first but once she got used to it, she was fine in there.

What uses does the crate serve for you and how does your doberman see the crate? (bedroom, punishment, etc)

Ava doesn't use her crate anymore but when she did it was always for sleeping. I never used it as a form of punishment.

When did you stop using the crate?

I think around 10 months or so. She might have been a few months older.

What techniques did you use to Housebreak/potty train you doberman? (puppy pads, etc)

LOTS of praise and treats! I never corrected her if she had an accident because it was either Brian's or my own fault. I just made sure she knew how pleased I was when she did her buisness outside. I also used the words 'go potty' when we were out for a bathroom break and she learned that those words meant she had to do her buisness and it wasn't playtime

How long did it take it become 100% reliable, no more mistakes.

It's tough to say. I would say when she was about 3 and a half months old she had the idea down but if I wasn't paying attention(shame on me!) and she really had to go, she'd go. I think she was about 4 months when she had her last 'accident'.

How does your Doberman alert you that they need to go out.

She doesn't. We're on a schedule and she goes out at set times throughout the day so she never needs to tell me.

Do they go on different surfaces and in new locations easily? (if traveling and no grass is available)

She'll readily go on dirt or grass but will reluctantly go on pavement if she must.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dobe_Paws For This Useful Post:
jachai (04-14-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome