Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Town Hall Topic - Loose Leash Walking
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Herb2relax
Alpha

Dogs Name: Tippy;CGC,TDI 8/02, Cujo 1/04, Kyrah;NJP, NAP 5/09 & Dexter 11/10
Titles: Loves of my life!

Gallery Pics: 6
Visit Herb2relax's Gallery
Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,236 Posts

How did you teach your Doberman to not pull on a leash? Any particular methods did you use?
At what age did you start to see any improvements? How often do they need reminders?
What type of collar and leash do you use? (prong, harness, flexi, etc)
What distractions are the hardest to overcome?
Are there any particular situations that you find more difficult to walk in than others? (Large crowds, parks, other dogs around)

I started walking her as soon as I got her and I dont really recall her pulling on it hard. I went to training class and my trainer does not like the halti or choke but recommends the prong. For one week we were to give her the full length of the leash and right before she was going to run out of leash and pull you give a quick pop (gently not to hard) this is 4 blocks for one week, then one week 4 blocks with half length leash, and then shorten it to where she is on your side. Then we used pilons to weave in and out of and give the command heel with the use of treats which we phased out. My girls biggest distraction is other dogs she wants to play so bad. She does great in large crowds b/c there is so much going on she cant focus on one thing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome