Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

She's Here !

14K views 199 replies 35 participants last post by  melbrod 
#1 · (Edited)
Please welcome -- Jager's I Can't Stand the Rain - call name pending :grin2:

Someway - She already has managed to steal the recliner !

See less See more
#114 ·
Ken, along with her lovely ears--was that at the end of the first posting? They look really good. Thank her breeder and parents profusely--it takes a lot of things coming together right to get puppies whose ears stand like that at the end of a first posting!

I noticed the leg of the chair at your computer I bet--you'd better stock up on some of the favorite toys of many of the puppies who have been raised here with a swivel computer chair--it all started with Nylabone's first flat wishbone (size giant--I bought one and then bought two more so each dog could have one to chew on. Over several years time various dogs of mine and visitor dog chewed on them very happily. And then one dog discovered that the unique shape allowed them to jam them on to the leg of the chair, hold them in place with a foot and chew them. And then came the epiphany! Other companies and Nylabone also came out with wishbones that weren't flat! They were shaped--curved in various places more like a real wishbone. Nylabone makes one , Benebone makes them in various flavors and they are HUGF--someone else makes them but I can't remember who--but they are all improvements over the original (say the dogs who tested them)--much easier to balance on the leg of a swivel desk chair for greater chewing enjoyment.

You better invest in one for EG before she gets much bigger and can hold you down to chew on your toes.

ABTLH (Evie girls honorary aunt)

#116 ·
Bug - That picture of her ears was only after 3 days of posting . It has been a long time for me posting and I really need to give Greenie a BIG shout out on his " How to Pot ears " I studied it lots - Then I leaned on a big time Dober gal from the PNW for added advice :wink2::grin2:

I will say that I had made ? maybe 7 sets of posts before I was happy with the end product . Her ears are small and I had a hard time getting the posts into the bell area far enough - What I need was 3/8 backer rod - I am using 1/2 right now - SO I spent the afternoon calling around hunting a bag of 3/8's and would you knw that everybody around here was out of 3/8's . But I figured out how to make the 1/2 work . After I figured that part out - I posted her ears --- by myself in 10 minute's and she was down and playing again .

Again , a big thank you to Greenie

And you Bug !

#117 ·
Good to hear that Kenny. At least you can take scissors and taper the 1/2 inch backer rod so it is much easier to wiggle down into the ear so that it actually gets to the bottom of the ear canal and doesn't rattle around in there and drive her crazy.

Yeah, Greenkouki is a genius--he made probably the best video of how to post with backer rod that I've ever seen. Hits all of the high spots where people almost always have questions and problems and his information on painlessly removing posts is also spot on.

Baby bitches have rather smaller ears and ear canals when you start posting than all of my hulking big males have. And three days constitutes a posting in the kind of weather you guys are having (and sadly so are we here in the cool green Pacific Northwest) We got three days of temperatures just into the low 80's and tomorrow it all goers to he!! again--predicted high's are 99 for Sunday, 100 for Monday, 95 for Tuesday and then it drops abruptly to 85 on Wednesday. So three days is plenty for temps like that. Low 80's if the humidity isn't astronomical you can usually get by with 4 days.

By the way, the cool, green Pacific Northwest is turning brown and crispy! The fescue lawn is green now only where I didn't succeed in killing the dandelions.

Anyway as an ear poster you have clearly regained the hang of it 'cause the three days of posting look great.

Congratulations to you for technique and to Evie girl (EG) for good cartilage and ear set.

dobebug

#118 ·
Time to Brag a little -LOL Really its too funny not to tell - I was mowing the yard this morning - drove the mow right up the gate to come in and eat lunch , after lunch -I let EG out - she took off to the east - did a number 1 , then went on patrol around the fence - then as she came up on the mow she sort side jumped and stared at the mow , walked away a few steps , turned around and growled at it - LOL

Then a little bit ago , Fedx dropped off a Chewy package - I along with EG were outside when he flew up the drive , Hopped out and I told him to just sit it by the gate - EG was watching him pretty good and as he got close to the gate - she growled at him - The Fedx guy looked up and said I see you little puppy and he was laughing the whole time and as he headed back to his truck - she growled again - that driver was cracking up - he is our regular driver and knows Kadin very well - but he sure thought that little puppy growling at him was funny .

#122 ·
Well SP - She grew up fast ! She won 9 BIS's - 8 BOS - then come in 2nd in the 2020 at the DPCA top 20 ( Hugo won ) and her other Sisters came in right behind EG , Then at Westminster she got BOS - pretty good season for a Dober less than a year old :grin2::grin2:

You forgot one Ken, her owner/handler won BIBS, hands down.... >:)

#124 ·
I love her! She looks like she's full of mischief.

#152 ·
Hi what a beautiful girl you have! Perfect ears also👍🏻I really enjoy joining DT! Thank you to all for making me feel welcome.
Thanks and her ears don't look to bad , but there not perfect -- yet ! her left ear did not heal as quick as the right and I had to work around that area for a week or so , then when healed - but that is doing very well - I spent some good time on the phone yesterday talking to my Mentor on her ears and had sent her several pictures - I have a problem and knew she would knw what to do , the problem ? Her left ear wants to tip in just a little - as many of the very well experienced ear posters on here say to do a 11 and 2 post if using a brace - which is what i'm doing , the problem is that when she sleeps on her left side - it push's the left ear over and then when she wakes up - I have to adjust the ear back to the right , today - it don't look to bad .

My Mentor had talked about the method of adding the bumper to the post ( Thanks Greenie ! ) for your step by step method !

I have been changing the posts every 4 days - but may take them down today and add the bumper on the left .

What I have learned more so with the little girl is you just have to really work with your dog to find that perfect fit and what really works best for your dog , I do at this time - feel that I have found the sweet spot for her , but as she grows that will all change :2smile:

The posters on this sight are great go to people with many years of knowledge and experience , and are willing to give advice , For any of you newer posters on here , do not be afraid to ask many questions if you have them , they will do there best to help you

#146 · (Edited)
Those eyes!!! A little spark of mischief in them!

Evie Girl ("EG")

Hello all, DT!,
I go by "EG"
They tell me that's so,
But, is not my name "NO"?

Feisty hoyden, be I,
Even under Dad's eye!
Mastered bed and the couch,
and Dad's ankles... No!..Ouch!

There's so much to do,
to explore and to chew
It's rare that I slumber,
Cause I got their number!

Just look cute for pics,
and be still for posts,
So I can grow pretty
and make my Dad boast!

Kadin will soon learn,
With a snarl and a frown,
Yes, now it's Evie's turn...
There's a new "B" in town! :grin2:

#153 · (Edited)
So I'm probably repeating what your secret mentors said, but anyway….

I personally don't use a brace but some folks do.

If you're going to use one, make sure it is right down on top of her head, and that it is not too short and pulling the ears in. In your picture on page 2 her ears are definitely leaning inward, but I don't even know if that is your posting job. The brace may be too short, or possibly a little tighter at the top than at the bottom—bumpers should help you there. Also be careful about the amount of tape you use. You don't need to cover the entire ear with tape—just one or two strips at bottom, middle and top should do it.

Maybe you could try one posting (3 days) without a brace and see if they improve?

#155 ·
I feel like it's been too long since we got a new picture... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.