Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Help! Raw Meat Shortage! Now What to Feed My Dobes?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Coco Loco 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

My 2 dobes (Angel & Walker) have been on a raw meat diet since I got them as pups, Walker is 2 years old and Angel is 1 years old.
They both have grown to be very strong & muscular dobes, with shiny coats and pearly white teeth. They're both on the BARF diet so I've been giving them a balanced diet to assure they get the proper nutrition.

NOW there is a meat shortage! As much as I hate the thought of not being able to continue feeding them the amount of raw meat they've been accustomed to all their life, I realize I need to start finding a healthy alternative for my dobes.

This is why I'm coming to all of you for advise.....What should I feed my dobes?
I would like to still feed them raw meat every week, but most likely with whats going on with the meat industry shortage and the prices going up I will need to limit their meat consumption to a couple days a week instead of every day.

They have never been on kibble so I'm worried that they might have issues with a change of diet.

I would appreciate any suggestions you all may have! Thanks!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of people here, me included, feed Pro Plan. I usually feed the Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice formula, but got the Sport Formula this last order. They both are doing fine on it.

#4 ·
Hi owner!

I also feed Purina Pro Plan to my 5 1/2 yo boy. I switched after several years on a very high protein, grain free Acana kibble on which he did very well. The transition was a piece of cake. Plus PPP is significantly cheaper.

I happen to feed Savor Salmon and rice. It is around $45for a 33 lb. (quite large) bag. He loves it. I order from Chewy. They ship free for $49 and over. It can also be ordered from Petco. They also deliver free for orders over $35. Either way, I usually get it within 2-3 days of ordering

BTW... McCoy is trim and muscular. His coat is shiny and his skin is clear. He never has stomach or bowel issue and his stools are firm and regular. Plus, he really likes it.

I happen to believe in add ons... So McCoy also gets on a rotating basis:
-Eggs
-Yogurt
-Cottage cheese
-Pure pumpkin or baked yams
-Raw or cooked meat and chicken
-Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain free raw meals
-Fruit (sugar free applesauce, blueberries, melon, oranges, etc)
-Fresh and/or frozen vegetables (mostly raw)
-Anything else that happens to be around and that I deem healthy! LOL

He also gets daily fish oil and vitamin E supplements.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

#5 ·
I was just turned on to a dog food company you may want to look into. I was impressed with their site and just ordered two bags from them.
You can really customize the food. It is www.muenstermilling.com
Great reviews from some friends about it. I had never heard of it before.

BTW, I am also a raw feeder and was wondering when shortage would appear here. Trying to prepare myself.

#10 ·
That is too bad. I also have a boy that has never eaten kibble as he was weaned onto raw from his breeder. Sugar loves to eat anything so I'm sure he would eat kibble if he had to.

Luckily I'm in Canada and my raw store is still packed. The only thing that has been out a few times has been duck feet. Sugar loves these but when we don't have them he's been fine. I stocked up last week on 10lbs of them so we're good for awhile.

Good luck.

Reactions: dobebug
#12 ·
That is too bad. I also have a boy that has never eaten kibble as he was weaned onto raw from his breeder. Sugar loves to eat anything so I'm sure he would eat kibble if he had to.

Luckily I'm in Canada and my raw store is still packed. The only thing that has been out a few times has been duck feet. Sugar loves these but when we don't have them he's been fine. I stocked up last week on 10lbs of them so we're good for awhile.

Good luck.

I'm sure spoiled Sugar won't starve! :grin2:

Didn't realize there's a raw feeder's market for the duck feet over here.
I had always thought those parts where exported to China, where they are considered a delicacy due to texture... (or added here into hot dogs mix, etc.)

Interesting article about "real" Chinese cuisine:
https://www.ft.com/content/dd2b4422-4aa1-11e9-bbc9-6917dce3dc62

#13 ·
I think you're right SD spoiled Sugar will surely not starve. Avian feet are a good source of natural glucosamine and chondroitin and are just fun to feed. Coco loved chicken feet and hated duck feet. Sugar is the opposite (in many ways :grin2:).

My raw food store only uses human grade products although I have never sampled the feet!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.