Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Hi I'm new here!
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 PM
MeadowCat
Super Moderator

Dogs Name: Richter; Sypha; RIP Shanoa & Simon
Titles: Richter: CAA L1V NW1 L1I L1E L1C NW2 L2V ACT1 RATI WAC; Sypha: NW1 NW2 L1C L1V L1E RATI SOG WAC
Dogs Age: d.o.b. 7/13/2012; d.o.b. 12/6/2015
Gallery Pics: 1
Visit MeadowCat's Gallery
Thanked 63,271 Times in 16,929 Posts

Click here to find out how MeadowCat became a supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerof2dobbies View Post
Thanks for the information Meadow Cat! Angel is just finishing her first heat cycle and she turned 1 yrs old. When would be a good time to have her spayed?

Regarding Walker, I will make sure to have all the required tests done one him, but regarding showing him in events I have a question.
When Angel still had her sharp puppy teeth they were playing and she ended up biting his ear and she took a little piece off the tip of his ear in which now he has this little piece missing. Would that DQ him from showing him?
I would talk to your vet about spaying. There are many varying opinions on the topic. If you have any doubts about being able to prevent an accidental litter from happening, I would do it sooner rather than wait. That's my personal opinion.

If you are asking about conformation events, the best advice I have is to contact the closest DPCA chapter club and ask to meet with some experienced Doberman people to evaluate his overall conformation. The Doberman ring is very competitive. You can go to The DPCA | Chapter Clubs

Even if it turns out that he's not built for conformation, your closest chapter club is a great place to connect with active Doberman people. Finding out how to get involved in sports is another good idea. I want to say that many of us started out with Dobermans from less than great breeders. If it turns out that he's not a good candidate for breeding but you think that down the road this is something you want to do, then the best thing you can do is to NOT breed him, but do a lot of things with him, and get involved in your club, and show that you're dedicated to the breed. Learn a lot about what makes someone a good breeder. Find someone to be a mentor to you. Down the line, that will allow you to get a well-bred dog from someone who will help you learn how to show that dog in conformation. If you've been active with these dogs, if you put in the time to learn, if you show that you want to do things right, if you "earn your stripes", so to speak, there are so many people out there that would love to teach you, that would love to mentor you, if you are open to learning and want to do it the right way. But that also means not breeding these dogs, if things are not right for them.

DSC_0133
by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Richter & Sypha
Glengate's Mountain Fortress CAA ORT L1E L1C NW2 L2V L2I ACT1 RATI SOG WAC
& Sirai's Golden Masquerade ORT L1V L1E L2C L2I NW2 RATI SOG DOG TKN WAC
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
― Jane Goodall
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeadowCat For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (03-27-2020), melbrod (03-27-2020), ownerof2dobbies (03-27-2020), Rosemary (03-27-2020)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome