Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Recommended grooming tools?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Enzo C7 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any grooming tool recommendations? My dobie shedding is nothing in comparison to my previous dogs, but I’ve never had a dog with hair this short and I’m unsure how to handle it. It’s only become such a problem because she sleeps in my bed, which I haven’t allowed previous dogs to do.

Any specific tool suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I don't really brush mine - simply wipe with a cloth occasionally. Very rarely I might use a grooming stone.

#3 ·
I don't have problems with Dobe hair in the bed because none of my dogs since the first Doberman have been allowed on the bed.

Dobes mostly shed a little bit all the time--somewhat more in the spring and fall when hairy dogs are shedding out summer coats or in the spring when they are shedding out the winter coats.

Like MeadowCat I wipe the Dobes down with a dampened terry cloth towel. If they are in a heavy shed period I might even do this a couple of times a day.

I do have an English brush that has very soft, very short bristles and occasionally use that but dogs with sort single coats like Dobes really don't need much by way of grooming with the kind of tools used on longer coated dogs--especially those that have double coats.

dobebug

#7 ·
McCoy does not get bathed or groomed. Like MC I do like a damp towel.

Also, like bug, my poor mistreated dogs have not been allowed on beds or furniture since the late 70's. They have to suffer with the 3-4 absurdly expensive dog beds (currently 2 Pendleton and 2 Ruffwear) spread strategically about the house. Or they can retire to their overstuffed, oversized, wide open crates!

Oh... When the little sharp "get in everything" hairs start to seasonally show up, I have been known to pull out a masking tape lint roller and give McCoy the once over. He actually likes it!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

#8 · (Edited)
I had a version of a hound glove with a sorta rubberized palm with little "spikes"--but the plastic got hard as it aged and it kinda lost its sticky? so it didn't gather the hair that well.

One thing I do use for grooming to deal with shedding hair in a short coated breed is a shedding blade (made for horses).

They're very effective, though you need to make sure the one you're using doesn't have points that are so sharp they get down to the dog's skin and cause scratches. I don't use them on bony parts like legs or delicate places like the face or belly--but for the back and sides of the dog, they're great. IMHO

I don't know about using on a dog you're going to show either...seems like they might have the potential to damage the hair just a bit? Like I've heard a Furminator can?? Show people--is that just an elitist show-person legend, or is it true?

#16 ·
Mel,

I used to be able to buy hound gloves from an English catalog company and I did use them on my Afghan Hound (on his saddle only--even though the hair there was about twice as long as most Dobe coats.

Furminators, in my opinion, should never be used on a short coated, single coated dog like a Dobe (or Viszla or Weimaraner etc) it's easy to apply too much pressure and accidently damage skin.

The roughest think I use on a Doberman is a very soft bristled short bristle brush (I still have a very old one from the same English catalog) but a reasonable substitute is a shoe polish brush which some stores that sell expensive smooth leather men's dress shoes as shoe polish brushes carry.

Shedding blades (as in the ones for horses) can also be used but with a very light touch.

dobebug

#9 ·
No. I haven't seen these around for awhile even at dog shows. They fit over your hand and are made of short real bristles. They were expensive. I still have mine from 40 yrs ago. Purchased at a dog show at the recommendation of others with short haired dogs. It gets rid of scruff, loose hair and leave a shine. Another thing for shine only is a nylon stocking.
What you have pictures Mel is more for a horse (I think)

#10 ·
It is, but I use it anyway during shedding season, with a bit of care---it really gets the loose hair off of a short coated dog like a dobe. I don't think it would work with a long hair dog or to get undercoat out, though I can use it on Hairy. His guard coat is wiry, and he doesn't have all that much of an undercoat. But his topcoat sure sheds, year round it seems.

#12 ·
I water Hoss down every few days with our outside hose.
Hoss does not appear dirty but I do find that simply hosing him down loosens those hairs.
Between him shaking the water off and my after hose down wipe off ...I do not have such an accumulation of those loose hairs as I pet him.
Easier to do his nails also after he’s been hosed down and nails exposed to the water for a few minutes.
I use a Dremel for Hoss nails.
They have some that have Dremel attachments specifically for pet grooming that decreases the heat during use of the Dremel ..look for those.
Oh...Dremel.......some have LED lights, thats also a nice feature so you can see what you are doing!
If you brush ....( I do just down Hoss’s back) just because he is spoiled and likes it !
Choose a brush with soft bristles so you do not upset those delicate hair follicles.
Move down the backside of your pup and any loose hairs with accumulate just above your dogs “nubby”.
Scoop them off by hand......and wa-la!!

#15 ·
I use a chamois for weekly wash/wipe down of our Dobes prior to Therapy visits. My experience in below DT links. :2smile:

Chamois use in "Dog Shampoo" thread post on DT:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/general-off-topic-chat/305493-dog-shampoo.html#post4063553

Dremel cordless 8050 w/STC bit post:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberm...d-coated-carbide-dremel-head.html#post3996945

Furminator brush use on Dobes (only during Thyroid treatment transistion for Eva- losing/ regrowing lots of hair)

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/307431-alas-breakthrough-ace-s-health.html#post4109589

#17 · (Edited)
Ok, here is my old greyhound hounds glove. Bought it in 1980. Nothing works as well as this did for short haired dogs and now I see they don't make them anymore. At least I can't find them.
I had to take a pic so you would see I really did have one, lol. And if you ever find one, buy it.

#19 ·
I basically have a hound glove as well, but only use it to groom in a show spray like mink oil. At home, it is just a wipe down with a towel/cloth. Our dogs have dog beds in our room, but do not sleep in the bed with us. One or two do get up on the bed after my husband gets up in the morning. I use a sticky roller to pick up the hair on the bed before I make it for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.