Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Breeder Search- Euro lines

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MeadowCat 
#1 ·
Hello!
I am looking for a Doberman breeder, and have found it difficult to decipher good from bad during my internet search. I was hoping to hear opinions from others that are more experienced, and that might have breeder suggestions. I started by looking for euro lines in the U.S., and have begun looking at import options as well. Health testing (esp. VWD and DCM) are important to me for the breeding pair. I have one Doberman currently, Roman, who is now two. He was my husband and I's first Doberman after growing up with GSDs and border collies for farm work, and we have both fallen in love with the breed. Currently do schutzhund work and obedience with Roman as hobby/ sport, and would like to do so with this dog as well. Mind (intelligence and drive) and health are key factors for what I'm looking for, but this dog would also be a member of the family (2 adults and 1 other doberman).

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

#3 ·
I've reached out locally, and have been given suggestions for someone with litters coming up this year. I just get concerned when there isn't health testing available on the breeding pair- not saying at all that means they're bad breedings. I just want to make sure I take my time and find the right fit for us.

And actually, no to your question about the American lines. I would gladly consider a dog with American lines if it ended up being a good fit for what we're looking for. I guess I just haven't considered American lines because my experience has only been with euro bred dogs thus far. My understanding from online research and word of mouth has been that the American lines are bred to have a more refined conformation/ stature with more of the AKC show ring in mind. From personal bias, I have worked with border collies for herding for many years, and there has been a *huge* difference (in general) between the AKC show bred border collies vs. the ABCA dogs bred to work in terms of mind, drive, and instinct for herding. That has probably influenced my thought process as well, though I get that it's a completely different breed and topic.
That being said, I certainly don't have the experience with the Dobermans to have any firm opinions or thoughts on the differences, so I'd love to hear any knowledge or thoughts from you all on the differences between the two lines.

#4 ·
With all the bad information floating around I can understand that preconceived notion. I think it is a little bit untrue; however. The AKC standard states heavy bone and substance and particular lines do have tons of bone. It is certainly easier to find longevity in a pedigree and health testing results on AKC show bred dogs. I would encourage you to go to some shows and see some of these dogs in the flesh and speak with owners and breeders. Where are you located? I might be able to make some suggestions. You will definitely be looking for a puppy bitch not a dog . Any breeder willing to sell you another male with a young male already in your home is one to be avoided.

#7 ·
Greenkouki has offered some good suggestions and already covered some of the common misconceptions. UDC https://uniteddobermanclub.com/ would be a good way to go.
It is harder to find dogs from American show/performance lines with the potential and ability to do bitework, simply because they aren't actively as commonly bred for it/selected for it. That doesn't mean there aren't any out there that can do it though.

#8 ·
Hiya! In our region I'd reach out to Sharon Marinelli/SharJet. She bred an IPO3 Ch and all her dogs have drive to work. Her contact info is on the Quaker City DPC website: Quaker City Doberman Pinscher Club - Cardio Clinic

We do have at least one bitesport person IN the club, and I'd definitely send a note via the contact us link at the bottom of the MBDPC page to get info on the next meeting. I've stepped back for at least a year for real life stuff but the club is very active. Next meeting is March, I believe.

#9 ·
I'd second talking to Sharon Marinelli - Sharjet. Her dogs generally have very stable temperaments, and tend to be do it all dogs. Her focus is the AKC conformation ring, but plenty of her dogs do many other sports. She does a lot of health testing, and hosts 3 cardio clinics at her house every year. Sharon is the current president of Quaker City DPC - I'm the recording secretary.

#10 ·
I would definitely get in touch with the United Doberman Club if you're looking to do IGP (formerly called Schutzhund) with your new pup - you'll probably be looking for working lines rather than show lines, and they'll be much more equipped to help you find the right pup. There are some good working breeders here in the US.

They have a Facebook page, too, if you are on there: https://www.facebook.com/uniteddobermanclub/

Reactions: Artemis
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.