Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Glad to be among friends!

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  LadyDi 
#1 ·
Having 2 Doberman's and having a problem with our 6 year old male, Jake. Our female, Anya, is only 2 years old. They both got their wellness shot but Jake isn't doing well since then. His leg is swollen where he got the shot and all the way down to his foot. We've gotten a new wholistic vet and are doing everything we can to get the swelling down. It is coming and going. . . we love him so much - it's rough. He has improved in many ways since we've been doing all the doctors say, but trying to keep the leg normalized.

#9 ·
Thank you all and glad to know you. Here in Florida a 'wellness' check up means everything is fine with your dogs - they only need to update their shots. They both got rabies 'update' shots. Our 2 year old is fine, but Jake, our 6 year old began swelling a few days later in the area where he got the shot, over the left hip. Since then all his lymph glands blew up and we've been doing everything we can to stop this mess. We went to another vet who said he now has lymphoma. We're giving him all the organic, high fat foods we've read about that other people used to save their dogs. We'll never go to the original vet again as this visit was chaotic and the vet even spilled one of the shots on the floor. We've been reading, talking and listening to anyone who's been there. We're exhausted but still can't "pull the plug". Its so emotional . . .

#14 ·
Okay, well, I'm going to be a voice of dissent, here...I would never skip rabies vaccines. It's deadly, and rabies pops up all over the country. It's a risk to our dogs, and cases of reactions to rabies shots are quite low, so I personally have no problem giving rabies vaccines to my dogs. Here in MN we can do boosters every three years.

I understand that you are blaming yourself for a reaction, but I don't think you made any kind of mistake giving a rabies booster to your dog. The risk of reaction was very low, and there was/is a very real risk associated with not vaccinating.

I hope that you are able to treat what is going on with your boy, whether it is truly lymphoma or whether it turns out to be something else. Try not to beat yourself up - we make the best decisions we can for our pets, and that includes protecting them, as well as the human population, from communicable diseases.

#16 ·
Yes, rabies is a must. They just don't recommend giving them every year. Every three years is required by law. Sometimes dogs and cats will have a reaction to the adjuvant added. Cats especially are sensitive to it and can get a sarcoma at injection site. That is why they are now giving the vaccination in the rear leg in cats. This is new to me that a dog could get lymphoma from a rabies shot.
So sorry for what you are going through. Please keep us informed and updated. Sending kind thoughts your way.

#17 ·
He's gone

Jake passed away yesterday at a little after 4pm. His leg began to bleed profusely and we rushed him to the vet, but there was no saving him. The light had gone out of his eyes. My husband held him as the vet was getting ready and told him it was OK. His tale was wagging as he died.
I think he's in God's arms now where there's no more pain and no more pharmaceuticals.We're devastated . . .
In the rabies pamphlet it says there are known to be many deadly consequences. I know some are thinking they want to take the chance that it doesn't happen to their dog, but for us it wasn't worth it in any way, shape or form.
When I learn how to attach a picture I'd like to add one of him playing with our 2 year old Anya, and making us laugh. There's no reason to laugh today.
I can only warn you. But hope no one else has to go through this. We had a little more time with him, and we'll cherish that. It wasn't worth taking the chance. But now our Anya is looking for him. She broke the gate in our backyard to try to find him. She was running down the street after my husband and son when they took him out. A neighbor stopped his car and helped me get her back.
It was a very bad day. I hope this helps someone to reconsider, or read more about the adverse affects of this, because there are many.
God in heaven, please hold our baby Jake in your arms, we thank You for the time we had with him

#22 ·
Oh our pupa Jake.........this is such sad news.
Praying for you today.
We all know to well what you are going through and it helps to have a support group because many humans just do not understand the relationship we have with ours companions.
Please let us be your support. This is real tough and we are here for you.
User ECIN......he eldest dog passed recently and his other doberman keeps looking for her ...........extending love to you today.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm almost wondering if he was in the beginning stages of lymphoma and the shot just tipped him over into full-blown status. Lymphoma messes up the immune system, and a shot aiming at triggering an immune response might just lead to an accelerated cascade of bad reactions in a dog who was maybe already heading that way. He may just not have had obvious symptoms yet.

You don't know and you won't ever know...it's terrible and it hurts. But Jake knew he was loved to the very end...which is a precious gift to give to our dogs.

Which doesn't take away your loss and pain--I'm so sorry.

Run free, Jake.

#25 ·
Yep, we've been trying to get through the day and help our 2 year old Anya do the same, but the time can't pass fast enough. We've been trying to figure out what to do to get through this but I guess it just has to hurt.
Thank you all for being there. We thought things were going well but found out so suddenly that they weren't. That morning, when we got up the swelling in his leg and hip went down a little. He had his juiced veggies and all looked fine. God gave us a little more peace
that morning before it all went wrong. We're thankful for that and now we need to help Anya with her confusion. She feels and
understands something's wrong but she knows everything has changed. We know it's hard for her too.
Can't thank you all enough for being there. You are all wonderful, sensitive people and we're honored to know you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.