Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Ear posting problems

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Fitzmar Dobermans 
#1 ·
Hi, our Dobie Molly will not keep the posts in her ears, they keep popping out because she shakes her head constantly trying to work them out. Our vet posted them the first time but it was a terrible job, the tips of her ears were hanging out of the top, idk what they used to post with but it was soft so they did not stay up, so I tried doing it myself, the first time they stayed pretty good but this last time they did not. Also I feel like I have no clue what I am doing, I watched Utube to figure it out but she has “pockets” and I’m worried I’m not doing it right... can someone help me please, I am currently in Corpus Christi TX, but we are moving to the Cincinnati area in January. I did see someone on here that helps in that area, when we get there I’ll need some help too!

#2 · (Edited)
Oh hang in there........more forum members will comment soon...we have some folks that re real good at ear posting.

As I recall under resources we have some step by step process that alot of us use for posting.

Forum .....Resources.........specific doberman chat....puppy corner ..............lots of intel on posting........mean while hold tight more will chime in tonight.

And welcome to our forum from Florida........

#3 · (Edited)
Here's the forum LDi's referring to:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cropping-posting/

Check out the stickies there, especially

https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cr...sting-show-cropped-ears-using-backer-rod.html

Vets often do a bad job posting...it's not high on the list of things they need to know.

Have you looked at this thread? It's pretty old, so it's out of date and some of these members aren't active here anymore, but maybe you can find someone close by:

"EAR POSTING. If you can or will help new owners with ears please post here."
https://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cr...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html
There's a list right at the beginning that compiles the info, also a few names have been added toward the end of the thread.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ebCBeojAkExC1uxLhDX1BlSGhnbZCQavVxjdCM97CJk/edit#gid=0

You can try a PM to someone, which they may not see if they're not coming here often, but if you click on their name and go to their user profile and then click on contact info, a few of them may have an email listed you can try. It's worth a try. There's no equal to seeing something done in person.

If you could post some pictures of your dog's head, from the front and from the side, posted and unposted, we might be able to give you some answers for your specific problems.

#6 ·
OK, I am sorry you are in this situation and I do not want to sound like I am scolding you as the situation "is what it is."

However, I am hoping others that are looking for a puppy will read this and learn from your post. It cannot be repeated often enough that if you get your Doberman puppy from an experienced and conscientious breeder, THE EARS WILL ALREADY BE CROPPED AND THEY WILL TEACH AND MENTOR YOU HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM TO INSURE YOUR SUCCESS.

Best of Luck.

#8 ·
Usually the best people to help with ears are experienced Doberman breeders in your area. Breeders tend to help each other out - I just posted puppy ears the other day for another breeder. So contacting the Doberman club in your area is a good idea - even look at the DPCA breeder list for your state and try calling those near you for help. Be prepared to pay for their time and materials..... some will charge - I personally only charge for materials....and half the time end up dremeling nails as well.

#9 ·
Usually if posts are popping out they are not deep enough into the ears. I would agree that having someone experienced in posting show you in person would be really helpful. Our chapter club has been contacted on multiple occasions by people needing help posting ears, and we've always been able to find someone willing to help. I highly recommend contacting the DPCA chapter club nearest you and seeing if someone can help you out - vets generally don't know how to post, even if they are good at cropping (and the good cropping vets are few and far between). Go to www.dpca.org and click on "chapter clubs" to search the one closest to you.

#10 ·
Her ears don’t look bad... we are first time owners of a Doberman, bought from a breader... how were we supposed to know about the ears if we’ve never experienced it.... I’m looking for a solution not negative comments. I’ve figured out how to post them but now she is shaking them and getting them off, any advice on how to keep her from doing that? A cone? Also how long are you supposed to post the ears for?

#11 ·
You were not supposed to know. The comment about good breeders being responsible for the ear cropping and assisting in post-crop care was, I am sure meant to be informative and educational. Especially to potential new Dobe pup owners .

Kansadobe's comment was qualified by:

"However, I am hoping others that are looking for a puppy will read this and learn from your post. It cannot be repeated often enough that if you get your Doberman puppy from an experienced and conscientious breeder, THE EARS WILL ALREADY BE CROPPED AND THEY WILL TEACH AND MENTOR YOU HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM TO INSURE YOUR SUCCESS."

It is too bad that you took personal offense.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

#14 ·
Shoot--I just sent a post a few days ago for someone with the same problem--dog shaking and scratching and posts popping out.

So here it is again.

You are backtaping the posts so the post is covered with Zonas (or Sport Tape) both by Johnson and Johnson--with the sticky side out? Make sure the post material (backer rod or pipe insualtion) is small enough to go all the way to the bottom of the ear canal. Us a little bit of cotton to pad the very end of the post (and use scissors to taper it to a blunt point) and when you put it in the ear twist it a little while you are pushing down on the post and pulling up on the ear. Have several strips of tape pre cut that will wrap around the base of the. ear. Once you have pushed the post all the way down into the ear canal (you can't push it too far--the ear canal take a right angle turn before it gets to the ear drum). Press the taped post to the ear. While still holding it in place start your first wrap of tape as far down on the post as you can--you will then angle it up toward the skull wraping it around and pressing down the little flap of skin where the ear attaches to the head. wrap the tape around the ear and use one finger to press the back of the ear TOWARD the front of the ear--you can see that this reduces the gap between the front and back of the ear and generally prevents a dog from shaking or scratching and allowing the post to pop out of the ear canal.--bring the tape around and down to meet the spot where you started taping.

That's the first wrap. Put two or three more wraps on this way--each on will be a little higher than the first. When you have the base securely taped this way you can then just loosey wrap the rest of the ear in tape. Make sure your posts are long enough to extend beyond the tip of the ear so that the tip is securely taped. Then use your hand to 'scrunch' the tape so that it firmly holds the post in place. Brace or not--I don't brace puppies after the first few times they are posted. Some people always use a brace--your choice but if you brace remember it should be as close to the top of the head a possible.

And finally while you are posting ears you really want them to tip out at 10 x 2 (like clock hands) This will prevent pockets for the most part.

If you have any question about what I'm describing--either I or one of the many eople
who have posted ears like this will try to clarify.

Good luck.

dobebug

#16 ·
I'm going to disagree with everyone (imagine that).

Mav would NOT keep posts in his ears. He would scratch at them, rub them on things... he didn't care that his ears were bleeding from what he was doing to get the posts out either. I had the most experienced breeders helping me and we tried EVERYTHING. I eventually had to go to the cone of shame, I used a softer one that was also wide enough he couldn't get close to the ears. With that said, I'd reach out to your local dobe club and get in contact with someone local who knows what they're doing before going to a cone of shame. It was my very last resort.

#17 ·
Hi not sure if this is the right way to post(I’ve just joined!!) I would like to ask a question about posting of my dogs ears. He is 7 months and his ears are coming on very well. One is a little floppy but when he’s alert they both stand up very good. The posts have been out for 3 weeks but wondered if I need to post again. They stand up fine when alert etc. I haven’t used the nasal strips yet but maybe that’s what I need to do,not sure how they stick if that’s is what you suggest. I would post pics if I knew how!!!! Thank you for any help and appreciate that it has prob been asked a million times. Thank you

#19 ·
My boy is 8 months today and I'm still posting using the backer rod method. I use the 5/8 inch. I have actually gone to half post because his base is nice and strong. If you are on FB, there is a really good group and they have videos on all the different methods. The name of the group is Doberman Ear Taping Methods "the original". I am lucky to live close to my very supportive breeder who posted for me the first few months and was a great mentor since it's been several year since I have posted myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.