Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is putting my dog in a cage is good?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:13 PM
triciakoontz
Always Grateful

Dogs Name: Mercury's Prince of the Universe (Boon)
Titles: CFFII,NW1, NW2, NWE1, CFFIII, CFFIV
Dogs Age: 12/29/12
Gallery Pics: 22
Visit triciakoontz's Gallery
Thanked 12,656 Times in 4,151 Posts

It sounds like you are asking for a way to allow your dog to get some vigorous exercise. A good harness with a front clip ring + a biothsne long line is a great way to take your dog out into some big natural areas. He can run and bounce around at the end of the longline while you walk him. My Doberman loves to go out on the longline! I walk 3 miles and he covers about 10 miles running back and forth in front of me at the end of the line!

The Easy Walk harness is a great one to use. You MUST attach the longline to the front of the harness, not the ring on the top of the dog’s back! That way, you don’t engage the oppositional reflex.

My whole back yard is fenced with an 8’ solid fence. There is wire mesh on the ground under the fence and extending 12” out into the yard to prevent digging. Boon goes out there and chases squirrels many times a day. Totally unsupervised but he’s in a totally secure locked enclosure. I’m ALWAYS HOME when he’s out in the fenced yard. I would never leave him out there when I’m not home. In addition, he demands to be let back in after a few minutes. No Doberman wants to be separated from his person for more than a few minutes.

THE BOONDOGGLE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triciakoontz For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (09-11-2019), LadyDi (09-11-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome