Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New Rescue Dobe

7K views 82 replies 14 participants last post by  modm 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Long post - introduction and a few questions.

I have been looking through the forums for a couple of months now trying to absorb some of the information. Quite a bit here!

My wife and I got our first Dobermans together over 12 years ago now. Molly and O.D.(Other Dog - only in name :2smile:)they were sisters. We lost O.D. 2 years ago at 10 1/2 yrs. March this year we lost Molly almost 12 1/2. Both were huge losses to us (50+ yr. old crying for doggies – for me they were more akin to children). After Molly the house was very empty.

We had been looking at Dobermans and thought when the time was right, we would get one from a rescue. Surprisingly quick we brought one home 6 days ago. Her name is Mila and is approximately 5 years old and a blue. You can see her story and some photos here: https://www.doberman-rescue.com/dogs/profile.php?id=382 . We had a great experience and the owner was very supportive and understanding. Mila is great, very loving and getting more confident around us each day.

We know she can jump/climb a fence so as the Rescue owner suggested, I have walked the fence-line with her on leash quite a bit trying to establish the boundary. I believe I also read here a similar suggestion. However, the back fence is only 5 foot so I will be adding another 2 feet this weekend. When we let her off leash, she hasn’t tried but she does eye the fence and looks up a lot. She gets quite excited about the woods behind us and is on alert. Squirrels, bug noises, etc…

Reading all the posts about the potential relationship between DCM and ingredients of dog food seems a bit overwhelming. For now, will stick with the food that Mila was on at the Rescue - Solid Gold Mmillennia. Owner has not had any problems with the feed and DCM.

I do see a number of people on the forum using Proplan Sensitive Skin - Salmon. Will that cause more odorous gas? At times the lamb did keep giving with our previous dogs but worried fish may be more.

Mila is also on melatonin and omega 3 to support her being a blue. From what I see the care, feed, and the supplements her coat is very nice. I definitely want to try and maintain this and do what is needed.

One last question - While it is early days, Mila does get me up quite a bit in the night. I ignore her as long as I can but then she gets insistent. I take her out and she does go pee....then looks for the rabbit that ran in front of her the 2nd night. Appears she pee's but not a lot each time. Any thoughts? Could be just a ploy to get out and pretend to squat to satisfy me she isn’t out there just for the rabbit.
>:)

Next step is to find a good obedience instructor in our area. She doesn't know commands very well - although we found she will sit without asking when we brought out the cheese for omelets.

As I am about to post this, I see another with similar question about blues and food - hopefully not too redundant and in the correct forum.

Thank you,

See less See more
#2 ·
. We lost O.D. 2 years ago at 10 1/2 yrs. March this year we lost Molly almost 12 1/2. Both were huge losses to us (50+ yr. old crying for doggies – for me they were more akin to children

Yes they are the same as kids , and we lost one girl that was almost 15 , and the river of tears we Shed in our 60’s , age don’t make any difference

. Her name is Mila and is approximately 5 years old and a blue. You can see her story and some photos here: https://www.doberman-rescue.com/dogs/profile.php?id=382 .

What a story , that poor girl ! Stories like this really P.O. Ole Doc ! So glad to here she is a home she deserves and the love to go along with it

Mr Business is on the Pro Plan SSS and I don’t think he is letting them SBD’s as bad , bu5 he can still clear out room :grin2:

As far as getting up in the middle of the night , that is a tuff call , As you know , they are so smart ! I think I would take in. Urine sample , say mid stream and run it into the Vets and have it checked for a unrinary track infection. That can make them want. To go out in the middle of the night .

Best of luck with you new gal !

BTW , welcome to DT !

Doc

#5 ·
Has been a while since I have posted in forums, hopefully I reply correctly.

Thank you everyone for the responses - Even in the short time we have had her, she has been amazing.

We are working on her to go in a crate when we both go out. First time she wouldn't and my wife cleared out the master bathroom and she stayed there. Later I crawled in and called her to me and she came in with me....180lbs of me and 80lbs of her in there. Since then she gets in fairly easy with some treat enticing. :2smile:

As far as getting up in the middle of the night , that is a tuff call , As you know , they are so smart ! I think I would take in. Urine sample , say mid stream and run it into the Vets and have it checked for a unrinary track infection. That can make them want. To go out in the middle of the night .
I will keep an eye on this. I think shortly we will be taking her in to the vet anyways along with all her shot and medical records. Last night she only went out 2-3 times. 12:15 am, 4:30am (normal time for me to get up) and finally 6:30am (slept in today). May have gone out between 12:15 and 4:30 but do not recall :2smile:. But an improvement. In between she gets off her bed, which is on my side, and if I ignore her she goes to bed fairly quickly. Sometimes she gets up and just touches my hand and goes back to bed.

I can see me trying to run behind her to get a sample :2smile: ...have not had to do that before.

It's wonderful that you are giving her a chance to make a new start in life--thanks for taking this needy girl into your home.
Thank you
To be honest I was not sure how things would go, knowing her past, not raising her from a pup....didn't really know what to fully expect. Did I mention she has been amazing? :grin2:

When I learn how to post photos, I will upload pictures of her here at home. Believe I need to get an outside photo upload site.

#8 ·
Modm- Welcome to DT from San Antonio!

Mila looks great, she appears fit and happy now, even at 80 lbs. for a Dobergal.
She is lucky to find experienced Dobe parents, such as you, to provide her with a wonderful second life! Her survival story from previous owners in the back story was heartwarming.

Her personality sounds a lot like our Eva's. She is a bit shy with strangers, but warms up steadily. Eva also purrs when you stroke her when laying down, like a really big house cat! Eva will also try to conn us into early morning potty breaks so she can check out backyard for Possums. I think she can actually smell them from inside house?

We have always fed Pro Plan Shredded Chicken kibble in our house. Only Spock occasionally lets out some gas (silently, as ECIN reported with his Dobes) I have never known Eva to pass gas, because she's a lady and eats slowly, unlike Spock who wolves food down, even from a Brake-Fast dish.

From pictures, Mila really loves her stuffed toys. Our two love them to death, which is what happens to stuffies after about 20 minutes of shredding euphoria!

Looking forward to seeing more posts about Mila's new life with you! :2smile:

#13 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words and welcome.

From pictures, Mila really loves her stuffed toys. Our two love them to death, which is what happens to stuffies after about 20 minutes of shredding euphoria!
Molly and O.D. also would go through soft toys like these in minutes. Even stronger toys - they would find the weak spot and worry it to death until it was time to pick it up. O.D. was a master of peeling a tennis ball. Mila seems more gentle and just picks them up and carries them. Hopefully that lasts :2smile:

Eva will also try to conn us into early morning potty breaks so she can check out backyard for Possums. I think she can actually smell them from inside house?
I know Molly knew when a rabbit was out in the back yard - if not smell then hear/sense them.

As mentioned my next task is to find an obedience trainer. I have been working with her on sit, stay and come. She tends to try and bolt out the door. Last 2 days I have her sit a few times with door open before allowing her out (cheese works wonders :2smile: ). But I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and being consistent with when to say "yes" and give treats. I think a dog trainer also trains the owner :2smile:

Other item I am working on is walking on a leash. Sometimes have to coax her...particularly if I happen to get a head...she definitely does not like to be "led". If she stops I usually have to walk back to her and coax her in a slightly different direction.

She does love to play - she runs then tucks onto a shoulder and slide into a roll on the back. Then jumps up and rolls the next shoulder...then tummy rubs occur. Trying to get a photo of that:)

Thanks again!

#16 ·
Hello Everyone,
Long post - introduction and a few questions.

One last question - While it is early days, Mila does get me up quite a bit in the night. I ignore her as long as I can but then she gets insistent. I take her out and she does go pee....then looks for the rabbit that ran in front of her the 2nd night. Appears she pee's but not a lot each time. Any thoughts? Could be just a ploy to get out and pretend to squat to satisfy me she isn’t out there just for the rabbit.
>:)

Thank you,
Just a quick comment. It could just be a natural reaction to your local water supply compared to whatever she had been drinking previously. Chances are her digestive system just needed time to adjust. She may also be 'saving' her pee to scent mark her new territory. We had very similar issues when Lois arrived, she would go out and do mini-pees wherever she scented any other dogs. Even now after 6 months with our two females, one will pee and the other will hold off until the first is done so that she can run over and 'redowse' the spot.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, good luck with Mila!

#17 ·
She sure has a nice coat for a 5yo. dilute.
I assume this is due to a few things - Genes, food/supplements, care?

there is nothing quite like a happy Doberman.
- Agree! :2smile:

It could just be a natural reaction to your local water supply compared to whatever she had been drinking previously. Chances are her digestive system just needed time to adjust.
Could be we are on a well system and I believe so was the rescue. Next Friday we are planning to take her to the vets. A checkup, but also to get her an introduction to our vet, staff, and see how she reacts to the office and other animals. Will be a new experience for us and her.

#19 ·
Not sure if I should move to a new post or elsewhere but for now will continue here....

As of today we have had Mila for 1 month. She has grown a lot in confidence and appears to be settling in.

As she settles in some things have changed a little.

Soft toys -
Mila seems more gentle and just picks them up and carries them. Hopefully that lasts
Now she still carries them around but now lies down and begins to work on chewing them up. She has shredded a tennis ball and a squeaky toy ball. So as we did we pick them up to keep her from swallowing the small bits....

Getting up at night -
she still wakes me up but I only have to get up at 4:00am at earliest, I can push sometimes to 4:30 -5. But she will still get up and touch me go back to bed. Or wants to be petted then goes back to bed if ignoring her doesn't work.

Outside - she is much more independent outside than she was. Harder to get her to come back to us once she is sniffing away and chasing the wind. But even that is changing a bit again.

Food
- still on SolidGold Mmillenia - but mixed with first small bag of Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon. Wonder if I can just keep her on the mix of the 2??

Vet - we have an appointment next Friday - finally!

Training
- today we had our first private lesson with an obedience/trainer. I believe we had a good session. Talked about the 3 D's Duration, Distance, and Distraction. Went through exercises of getting Mila's attention and marking/reward also worked on sit. Where to give the reward from (position). Also different exercises/games to keep her mind actively moving. Ways to keep her from trying to bolt out the door. Also a game of go get it....I hold her collar and say go get it....have food in my hand move it in a tossing action so she sees me then toss the food let go of the collar.

My wife has a less structured exercise/game - walk and if Mila is walking with her stop walk backwards and as Mila follows - drop the reward on the floor.
Hopefully, we (us humans that is) retain it all and have made progress by our next training session next Sat.

She has been very sweet and awesome! I am glad we have her here in our home. We still miss our other family members Molly and O.D. :crying: but she is helping us heal. :2smile:

#21 ·
Soft toys - Now she still carries them around but now lies down and begins to work on chewing them up. She has shredded a tennis ball and a squeaky toy ball. So as we did we pick them up to keep her from swallowing the small bits....

Getting up at night -
she still wakes me up but I only have to get up at 4:00am at earliest, I can push sometimes to 4:30 -5. But she will still get up and touch me go back to bed. Or wants to be petted then goes back to bed if ignoring her doesn't work.

Outside - she is much more independent outside than she was. Harder to get her to come back to us once she is sniffing away and chasing the wind. But even that is changing a bit again.

We can use tennis balls here , like you found out , I will have to pull up chewys and find the name on the balls we use , I think most Dobers on here can be shredders :grin2:

Food
- still on SolidGold Mmillenia - but mixed with first small bag of Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon. Wonder if I can just keep her on the mix of the 2??

There are many good feed posters on here that will give you a lots better advice than I , but my question , why do you want to mix the two ? We’re on pro plan and like it so far .

Vet - we have an appointment next Friday - finally!

Always good to get that first trip done , one thing we have done with every pup was we had go the vet time here , I will look in there ears , check teeth , look at and feel there bellies , everything they do at the vets , I’m telling you it works and the vets always comment how good they do there .

Training
- today we had our first private lesson with an obedience/trainer. I believe we had a good session. Talked about the 3 D's Duration, Distance, and Distraction. Went through exercises of getting Mila's attention and marking/reward also worked on sit. Where to give the reward from (position). Also different exercises/games to keep her mind actively moving. Ways to keep her from trying to bolt out the door. Also a game of go get it....I hold her collar and say go get it....have food in my hand move it in a tossing action so she sees me then toss the food let go of the collar.

You will enjoy your classes , it not only trains the dog , but teaches you how to train your doggy , we have been to , two classes and had planned on starting rally this summer till Mother Nature stoped that idea , maybe after harvest we will give it a go , you will have a blast !

My wife has a less structured exercise/game - walk and if Mila is walking with her stop walk backwards and as Mila follows - drop the reward on the floor.
Hopefully, we (us humans that is) retain it all and have made progress by our next training session next Sat.

She has been very sweet and awesome! I am glad we have her here in our home. We still miss our other family members Molly and O.D. :crying: but she is helping us heal. :2smile:[/QUOTE]

After the lose of Kasia , we didn’t wait to long and like you , it sure helped us , but of course , Mr. Business was a hellion , NO joking ! You think your happy , your tells the true and important part , your little girl is beyond happy ! :grin2: glad it has worked out for everybody :grin2::grin2:

#22 ·
We can use tennis balls here , like you found out , I will have to pull up chewys and find the name on the balls we use , I think most Dobers on here can be shredders
Thanks!

There are many good feed posters on here that will give you a lots better advice than I , but my question , why do you want to mix the two ? We’re on pro plan and like it so far .
I agree lots of great information - one reason, we are moving her towards the Purina Pro Plan. But she came with the SolidGold and it may be contributing towards her good coat? The nutritional analysis for both of them - the SolidGold has more Omega 3 & 6 along with taurine(support or not....) and carnitine. But Purina Pro has more vitamin E and has vitamin A(SolidGold doesn't) which support coats and skin. I assume since both are good companies the sourcing of the ingredients would be good. The mixing would be trying to get best of both worlds - although not really as it would be diluted amount??? I am not an expert on understanding all the analysis of each dog food.

Always good to get that first trip done , one thing we have done with every pup was we had go the vet time here , I will look in there ears , check teeth , look at and feel there bellies , everything they do at the vets , I’m telling you it works and the vets always comment how good they do there .
Yep - will do all that good advice, thank you. She does have a small hard spot on her right hip we want to have checked out maybe quarter or so size.

You will enjoy your classes , it not only trains the dog , but teaches you how to train your doggy , we have been to , two classes and had planned on starting rally this summer till Mother Nature stoped that idea , maybe after harvest we will give it a go , you will have a blast !
It was very fun! Agree - we do need to be trained - our best intentions may not be the correct ones and make it not as easy to train. Lots of information to take in but I think I have the gist and the trainer can correct me when I get back next week - hmm wheres my reward!!!! >:)0:) Yes I know a well behaved and social puppy!

After the lose of Kasia , we didn’t wait to long and like you , it sure helped us , but of course , Mr. Business was a hellion , NO joking ! You think your happy , your tells the true and important part , your little girl is beyond happy ! glad it has worked out for everybody
Thanks!

#28 · (Edited)
Big congrats on Mila, she is a pretty girl.
- I felt the unconditional canine Love, in your writing modm, its was a treasure to read

-------------------------

Random thoughts:

This may sound against the grain, but I train for a small degree of Seperation Anxiety.
- build a bond, that the dog is always in you eyesight
- so the reverse is true / build a bond, that the dog humans is always in their eyesight

So what does this mean, dad goes out in the rain, so dobe will go out.
- dad goes in the backyard, dog goes in the backyard
- dad goes in the house, dog is right behind
- if I sneak in the house to top up my coffee mug,
- I'll come back to the front door, and dobe is waiting for me, with eyes on the window

Over at sons condo today, dogs on the cedar deck...while water boxes being made.
- men went to the van, to get carpenter tools or something
- without our son in backyard, Kelly went to patio door...for Mom to let in the house

Our dogs are always off leash, and perimeter trained...we on a busy Hwy, but that's no longer a concern.
- to me it doesn't matter, who exits a door first or last / same with steps
- with strong bond building, the dog will like family adults being the Leaders

Kelly was a independent & aggressive puppy, wouldn't even expose her belly...no vulnerable position, of weakness.
- so dad rubbed the bottom of her tail nub, for over a year...a relaxation move
- now she accepts belly rubs

When I was training off leash, without treats...every time she return to my call, she would receive a neck rub.
- this winter I fell on ice and broke my wrist
- now when she is by my side, I give her a spine message, to rehab my wrist
- when I stop, she pokes me with her nose for more
- my hand functions, has really improved since

Kelly carries stuffies to and greets us with them or moms shoe.
- but nothing is ever hurt, all her stuffies have a name
- only hard toys can be chewed, but she out grew them

Our dogs never chase or climb fences // because an adult is always out with dog
- Kelly tried to dig twice at 5 months old, but the bad habit was discouraged
- obviously older dogs are harder to change / but its worth a try

My feeling on crate - if dobe was OK and tested without one, could put it away.
- if dog doesn't sleep in the master bed, its dog bed should be on the floor...beside the bed
- dobes want to be close, to loving masters...always 24/7, makes them feel content

#29 · (Edited)
Wow thanks Beaumont67 - I echo your sentiments about your canine love.

I am not sure how to train for the separation anxiety. Molly and O.D. we had as pups so seemed natural we grew up as one family. Same as your dogs, if we weren't out with them they were at the back door looking in. If one of us goes out front to get mail or water the flowers....or even if both of us were doing some weeding....you could hear the cries of Molly wanting to be out with us.

Mila is getting that way to a degree - I try to go in stand inside waiting for her to notice....sometimes she comes to the door looking for us. But most of the time....she is still searching for whatever she thinks is out there. But still only a month in and new to her.

Ouch on the breaking of your wrist - had to be a pain trying to do stuff with one hand - glad Kelly helped with the recovery! :2smile: Ha yeah even Mila is doing that she sits in front of the couch getting petted....stop and immediately her head pops backwards looking over asking for more. We call that a Molly move as she would do that all the time.

With our first 2 girls they slept on either side of the bed. O.D. was typically on my side Molly on my wife's...every once in a while they would swap. So for me when O.D. was gone it was hard....bed wasn't there but the outline on the rug was there. :crying:

I see a lot of pictures and discussions about folk's Dobermans on couches or bed - that is one area my wife and I go against the grain...we do not let them on the furniture. Molly, O.D. and even Mila really did not try to get on...so worked out for us :grin2:

As far as going out the door first - The very first Monday with her, I was going to work, I had my backpack on my lunch box on and trying to maneuver out the door past my wife's giant wreath and telling Mila stay and keeping her coming out the door with my leg. Unfortunately, she bolted out. She ran around the side of the house where the rabbit had ran in front of her and out the side gate. Mila knew which side to go and she made a bee line directly to where she last saw the rabbit. I was afraid she would be gone and couldn't catch her.....

I was a bit scared and honestly ashamed, I had let her out that way - never had happened before....so trying to have her sit and wait to go out the back is a first step to keep her from going out the front.... And while it was nerve wracking trying to catch her - in the back of my brain I was thinking wow she knew where to go and only her second day here.

Crate for me is primarily if we go on vacation or similar. We currently do not crate her while driving nor did we with our previous. For me we were/are just lucky. No accidents and not bolting from back of van/truck. So looking to get a crate she can be in while in vacation homes and driving. I have looked at tons of crates that are engineered for crashes etc...quite costly. But I think a good sturdy crate will be more secure than none? Thoughts on this?

For now when we leave the house and go somewhere we have Mila in our bedroom free....she has not hurt anything. She is even sitting when we open the door. Well just for a moment then it is a ball of excitement. :2smile:

#36 ·
Mila story continues

Had her at the vet Friday - she was good in the reception area. Did not pay much attention to the other dogs at the check out counter.

However, in the exam room she was very nervous hard to exam her. In the end the vet just listened to her heart and left the rest alone. Said we will let her get used to us before pushing to much and getting her even more out of her comfort zone. We did get her weighed - 79.6 lbs....I thought she would be less as she doesn't look as big as our other dogs and they were 80 and 83 at times.

Wanted to get her nails done as, they are getting long, but that wouldn't work. So I will handle her paws even more....maybe get an old nail file and lightly go over her nails so she gets used it. I have been holding her paws some as she would pull them away. Now I can touch and hold without too much trouble. She has a scar running up one paw. So something may have happened.

Mila had her second training session Saturday. I am getting trained very well :grin2: She is getting along very nicely!

Here are a few pictures of her:

New toy!

And her new bed :2smile:

She has found the stairs leading up to the sewing room. Till this point she has ignored them.

Mila got up but didn't want to come down....so we ignored her and she found her way back.

Even with the door closed she wants to go up - but gets stuck. My wife went to look for her and here she was :grin2:

#37 ·
Moe, Thanks for the Mila update with the pictures. :nicejob:

She looks well acclimated in her new home. Spock loves going up/down stairs like the running of the bulls... since we normally have upstairs baby-gated off.

Here's a perma-link to a Dremel nail thread which I posted using my favorite Dremel Micro w/LED light. If you want an even quieter model, the Dremel Stylo sold at HD is almost silent. I use it on our little Lanah as she is squirmy when it comes to nail time.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberm...d-coated-carbide-dremel-head.html#post3996945

With the Dobes, I just heard them into the laundry room with my Dremel Micro, treats, Gold bond lotion then just Gitter' Done ! (reduces micro-dust spread around house) Eva loves nail treatments (because of treats) and Spock just tolerates now, no resistance, just not the happiest camper... When nail treatment is over, Spock runs "The Zoomies" throughout the house, after he is liberated from the torture! (I'll have a video to post soon) :2smile:

#38 ·
Moe, Thanks for the Mila update with the pictures. :nicejob:

She looks well acclimated in her new home. Spock loves going up/down stairs like the running of the bulls... since we normally have upstairs baby-gated off.

Here's a perma-link to a Dremel nail thread which I posted using my favorite Dremel Micro w/LED light. If you want an even quieter model, the Dremel Stylo sold at HD is almost silent. I use it on our little Lanah as she is squirmy when it comes to nail time.

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberm...d-coated-carbide-dremel-head.html#post3996945

With the Dobes, I just heard them into the laundry room with my Dremel Micro, treats, Gold bond lotion then just Gitter' Done ! (reduces micro-dust spread around house) Eva loves nail treatments (because of treats) and Spock just tolerates now, no resistance, just not the happiest camper... When nail treatment is over, Spock runs "The Zoomies" throughout the house, after he is liberated from the torture! (I'll have a video to post soon) :2smile:
Thanks for the info, spocksdad! Early on I would cut Molly and O.D. nails but they were not happy campers either. Plus I was always worried I would cut to deep. So we just let the professionals do it :grin2: But I could try with the Dremel and the bit you mentioned. Is this the Dremel you use? https://smile.amazon.com/Dremel-805...o+w/LED+light&qid=1566758424&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I can just picture Spock running with the bulls and zoomies :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.