Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Analyze a Nose Work Trial Video
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Rosemary
Got mutt?

Dogs Name: Leo (GSD); Lily (APBT)
Titles: They do, and are working on more
Dogs Age: Leo 7; Lily 5; Ilka 2009-2017; Lucky 2000-2014
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit Rosemary's Gallery
Thanked 31,480 Times in 10,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciakoontz View Post
1. Rosemary does beautiful handling and allows Lily to work at the start line. Lily stares straight back, she is clearly working odor at the start line. She looks up at Rosemary as a check in when released, then makes an almost straight line back to source. I would guess her very brief head check at non source items is some pooling odor from the wind but she clearly knows that and does not stop on her bee line to source. She keeps her nose at source until the marker word YES, which ends the behavior and only then does she turn to Rosemary. Rosemary feeds for position at source. Beautiful! As perfect as it gets.
Lily was on odor from the moment we walked out the door, thanks to the wind shifting. She wanted to head straight for it, which is why I was having to convince her to go to the start line. She briefly checks a few containers on the way out, because of the way the wind has been shifting, there are traces of odor everywhere. At 0:22, she shoves her nose into the container with the scent vessel. She freezes momentarily, and her ears pop up, which is a pretty sure sign that she is at source. I mark, and move in to reward her. Once I've marked the find, I don't particularly concern myself if she's come off the hide after the mark, but I do reward as close to source as possible. I'm also seeing if just giving her the "all done" cue (or "find another" if doing a multiple hide search) without touching her collar to remove her is the better option (it looks like it might be).

Leo is.... well, Leo. What can I say? She's fluffy.... She has the wind at her back coming to the start line. She gets distracted by something at 0:12 (the only surprise about that is that it was the only time during three searches). I somewhat miraculously managed to not call her back, but wait and see what she did. By 0:19, she has come back on her own, and is working again without any further cue, and I manage to get out of her way and let her search. She catches the scent where it has caught on the black bag, and knows it's close. At 0:24, she sticks her nose into the hot container, much like Lily did. Since this was a confidence building search, I didn't wait for her usual final indication on containers, which is a down, but instead mark the find and reward her. If this had been a blind search, I probably would have waited for the down.

~~The Current Hellhounds~~
Lily Dale- A Melody Unchained ETD PKD-T PKD-N ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr)/L1 GC GPS-NST OD-WD2
CA Speed Queen Leontine Von Washateria ETD D-CRO-Preliminary PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L5/CH/L1(Pr)/L2(Pr)/L1 GC GPS-NST OD-WD2
~~Requiescat In Pace~~
Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD CRO-1 D-CRO-Preliminary NCO-1 PKD-T PKD-N S-ADP-L4 ~2009-2017~
Lucky Rat Dog CGC ~2000-2014~
“Dance as if no one who is qualified to commit you is watching!”
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosemary For This Useful Post:
LadyDi (06-26-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome