Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Dobie stealing and shredding everything can get her mouth on

8K views 60 replies 8 participants last post by  Critter’s mom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi you guys, I have a new now 7 month old Doberman. This is not my first rodeo, I had a Dobie boy who passed of DCM a couple years ago at 9 yo and he was a MONSTA (but very very loved).

My old dobie had pica, he would eat anything he could get his mouth on specifically rocks and branches but also cloth such as socks. We had to watch him 24/7 or have him crated if not. To go on hikes off leash he finally had to have a large soft greyhound mask on or he would eat rocks. Even then we had to duct tape some of the holes so he would not shovel rocks into his mouth and swallow them. I think towards the end he was always on leash as he was just too unpredictable with his pica. Nevetheless the dog was spoiled rotten in the years he was with me and my SO. He was immensely time and attention-consuming. So when looking for a new dobie I decided maybe girl easier and asked breeder for a quiet easy temperament (couldn’t find a laughing while crying emoticon to insert here)

This girl was doing ok not showing pica issues (which I know many Dobies have); she was nippy while her adult teeth were coming in and it was hard to get her to back off my hands but I did get her to stop. I was so looking forward to the teeth being in and a new calmer dog. Weeeeelllllllll...

Since she got them she is stealing stuff left and right to shred, especially shoes but nothing is sacred. I was very careful from the beginning to not let her get to shoes or other human possessions because I did not want her to develop the habit. NEvertheless she is FAST. ANd the habit just came out of nowhere, like one day I woke up to a shoes/clothes/you name it shredding monster. If I turn my back, if we go for a nap together on the couch, if I don’t notice she has swiped something on the way out the door, I will suddenly find some expensive article of mine shredded to bits. $300 worth of shoes in one week and an expensive cushion. An Arcteryx jacket (you all know how expensive those are). My last Dobie would also ping off the walls like a pool ball stealing things that were not his but he wouldn’t shred my things for the most part, his tastes were more specific for the pica, he preferred rocks and twigs.

I know about keeping your dog attached to you on a leash in the house to try to instill compliance. I exercise the heck out of her to bring her energy and hence, destructive tendencies, down. She only knows a few commands so far: sit, lay down and wait. She is obstinate to follow through with commands. Perhaps I need to resort to positive reinforcement/ treats and clicker. Her temperament is like a little burro, just very very stubborn. When she first got here I couldn’t get her to even move towards the house and she already weighed 40 pounds. I had to pick her up and carry her for several days, in and out. Yes she was scared but there is more to it, this is who she is. When she is sweet she is very sweet, when she is quiet she is very pleasant. But most of the time she is just a handful. I know she is young and to some degree handful is to be expected. I know, I know, I wanted a Doberman. This is not unusual. But please help me to know how to help her know this is not an option, to steal and shred my things. I have a catch-phrase “no stealing” and I will take away my thing and give her one of her things, but she is just so obstinate. Honestly I don’t think she is dense tho the appearance could be interpreted as not too bright (hey who is winning here, her not me so she is pretty bright). I think she is just extremely willful and obstinate, and I think this is what we run into with Dobermans and many smart dogs who are hard to bend to our will.

On the bright side the same strong will and not gonna back down thing is great for a protective guard dog, she has shown herself to be stellar at picking up on intruders and animals we love from a distance but don’t want to cuddle with like bears and things like that. She actually chased off a young bear on a hike the other day, I didn’t know what it was until it was waddling off.. She is a dog who will protect and defend fearlessly. But this other stuff is driving me crazy!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations on your new girl!

Pica. Ugh....

Years ago had a boy who had it so bad that the we left him alone he was always muzzled also. He could not have cared less.

Our current senior had emergency intestinal surgery to remove a tennis ball.

Our youngest, when on walks will dive for anything. Grass, paper, cloth, mud, sticks, you name it. At least, i trained him to leave cigarette butts alone!

In any case... Welcome from the Pacific NW

John
Portland OR

#3 · (Edited)
The crate and keeping things out of reach (yeah sure) are about your best bets. You can booby trap some things to keep her away from them when you're not there (we had a mousetrap that lived taped on top of the garbage can [set and covered with a piece of paper inside the can to snap at the inquiring nose at first, and then unset just as a reminder] for one dog's entire life), but that can be hard to do and they always get into something you didn't think of.

One thought came into my mind...she may be "setting her teeth" into her jaws. Dogs go into a second teething period at about 7-9 months, which can actually be worse than the first because their jaws have more power, so you might want to take that into account and give her lots of things to teeth on (tough enough for her new adult chewing ability). That's usually not pure shredding, but it might be contributing to the problem.

Separation anxiety might also be part of the problem.

I know we have some threads about those issues, but no time to look for them now. Maybe when I come back from my outing, I'll look around for a few to refer you to.

#4 · (Edited)
I had a dog trainer that regularly said in class...”If a dog does something once...not good but OK we learn from that .....Dog does something twice .......it becomes a habit much harder to undo. Have found that to be very true.
So these little sharky’s ..you just gotta watch’em like a hawk.
Also would hear trainers say “Dobes do not get their full brain till 1 year”.....not sure how true that is.....but so much starts coming together when those head plates start growing together. Meanwhile its like having a baby in the house...exhausting.........
Hoss is now 3.5 years ...and its so much fun to see all the things coming together. So yeah....back to basics......and recently I began reading a book called “When Pigs Fly”..............I really have enjoyed this book .....basic applications ...real easy to apply daily and provides some intel on how my dog processes things. Nice basic book .......Nice.........our practice Mentally exhausts my dog.......say after 15 minutes of games. But your pup is much younger .......best to eliminate the opportunity ....however you get there.....good luck and keep us posted.

#5 ·
OK thanks all, I wrote a long reply but my new account got logged out and then I had to fight with the Dobermantalk system to get back on! Mainly because I wan’t paying attention to what it was telling me to do :grin2:

It’s comforting to be commiserated with and to be refreshed about things like second teething stage and the one year shift.. I appreciate it.

#6 ·
Welcome critter , From Indiana

Have to be honest here , but when I read the name of your tread , old doc was laughing = sorry lol

Mr. Business was the same way , but not near as bad as you pup . I took Mr. B to do classes and that helped , but not a cure , now my thoughts , Mel touched on it , but with these dogs they not only need attention , they demand it ! And that is what your pup is telling you , Mom , play WITH ME ! This is where training will help you both out , one thing you need to learn sit on your dog = sit on the lead , you don’t sit on you R dog lol. You tube it . This is a great lesson to learn . My best advise ? get into. OB class = btw No charge lol

#7 ·
Ok thankyou I probably do need to play with her more, hiking isn’t really playing.

You guys really helped me to remember one important thing, because her body is already so big I forget she is still a baby.. She is 7 months old, and she looks adult, so her behavior can seem ‘on purpose’ or defiant. Today I felt so much softer towards her with the same behaviors (which are actually slowly improving or maybe I’m just getting better at catching it in time), because you guys knocked that sense into my head. It’s easy to feel soft towards her when she is good because she really has a nice pause button and is the usual Dober-lovey-leany all over you when she is more quiet, but when she is on a naughty rampage... (grimace)

It’s all been extremely helpful advice thankyou so much. I think she will turn into a fine young lady after awhile, if I don’t kill myself first lol lol

#8 ·
No need to kill your.self lol Pulling out you hair worked of us ! Lol

All our dobers have been females till we got Mr. B , all the females were very well behaved , very well , Now Mr. B was a all new learning experience , he was a mess , he would bit , steal and poop everywhere in the house . We were no rookies here , our first dober came here in 1981 or 2 , is was out of control , but with working with him and going to OB classes he came around , he was a big boy and was all puppy .

He was a pro t testing you , but never had such a loving pup and he is still that way today , the work paid off big time , what. Boy he has turned into .

One thing I have found out over the years , is when they goof up when they were little , it was my fault ! If I Didn’t leave something laying around that he could get in to , then he would have got it , if I had read better when he needed to go out , he may not have pooped out the floor , it takes time to learn there language and the same goes for them , you have to have lots of patience with them , even. Goof up , we never raised our voice , Mr. B learned quick when I put my hands on my hips and just looked at him , he knew he was a bad boy .

Remember patience!

Like I TOLD MY WIFE TEN THOUSAND TIMEs , He”ll be a great boy someday ! And will brag on myself here , I was right , lol

Best of luck

you will receive love from you little girl you did think I possible !

Doc

#9 ·
At 7 months old, I would be doing two things - LOTS of positive training, and lots of management. I find it so much easier to teach baby puppies (and she's still VERY much a baby!) what I want them TO do rather than trying to constantly tell them what NOT to do...reinforce the behavior you like as MUCH as possible! For me, that means having lots of jars of kibble or low calorie treats in every room of the house. Every time I see my dog doing something I like, I reward the heck out of it! If my dog is quietly relaxing...treat! Is my dog chewing a toy (instead of something else) - reward...so many rewards! Dogs tend to repeat the things that "work" for them, so if they get rewarded for something, they're going to do it again.

What that leads to is the second part...management, management, management. You really don't want them to "self-reward" by doing things THEY find rewarding and YOU don't! That means using tethers or x-pens or gates (or all of those), putting EVERYTHING away that you don't want them to get into, and having LOTS of choices of things that she CAN chew on always available. I'd rotate those things out every couple of days so there are always new and interesting toys. Help set her up for success and to make good choices...she still has a baby brain with no impulse control. Don't give her the opportunity to make a bad choice and she won't make it. There's shouldn't be an opportunity for you to wake up to something chewed - she shouldn't be unsupervised. If you aren't watching her, she needs to be crated. She's too young and she's proven that she's not trustworthy (none of my dogs could be trusted at this age!), so don't set her up for situations where she can make these mistakes. The more she repeats them the more she's going to keep repeating them.

Do lots of VERY short training sessions - 3-5 minutes max. Start working on drop it and leave it, but use positive methods. Make it fun for her to drop it and to leave it.

She's not obstinate, she's just not trained yet, and she probably doesn't know exactly what you're asking. Keep reminding yourself she's still a puppy. And then she's going to be a teenager. You'll make it! The time and investment you put into training now is going to pay off.

#10 ·
Aw thanks you guys so much... Your advice has really helped me and your shared stories of your dobes too.

Meadowcat, you nailed it along with the others, this is what I need to do re: your advice. And I also want to find an obedience class for her.

Ecin, that’s funny about your boy compared with your girls, I totally get it.. my boy was twice as mischievous as this girl and she is 3/4 Euro working lines, he was domestic/showlines. But boy can the boys be sweet. She is super sweet no complaints but something about a sweet Dobe boy.. Sometimes I would almost cry just looking at certain pix of him that showed that, and he was still young and alive lol. I’m glad your boy has turned around and you can proudly tell a happy ending.

I wanted to write longer replies to all you guys but for awhile my replies were being ‘detained’, lol, I really bungled up forgetting my password a few times and may have set off the system. I actually just reset it again for like the 5th time. This time I made sure my apple device will remember it ;).

Anyway I am happy to report that she suddenly turned a corner with understanding right around the time I wrote this post, figures. Like taking your car to the mechanic and it won’t do what it was doing at home so you look like an idiot. Just joking but it is uncanny, suddenly she really got it about stealing and she will now only very gingerly pick up something of mine, sheepishly and slooowly see if she can bring it up on the futon to chew and then immediately yield it up. Most of the time she is not even doing it anymore but when she does it is very half-heartedly. She is leaning in a lot more for love and praise where before she was too crazy doing naughties and just too puppy brain to care much about what pleased me and what didn’t. Well I’m relieved that her brain works and her ‘conscience’ too, but you guys again reminded me of how important to realize she is still a baby in a big body. Thankyou..

ANd I am going to follow your advice, I want to read Pig’s Fly and do positive reinforcement with treats and also take to obedience class, I think she will do great in that. I had the hardest time teaching her to sit and lay down at first, other puppies it was so easy. But now she sits and lays down well and looks up for the praise. My Dobe does work, it isn’t broken lol. Anyway thanks a mil. I am very pleased with my girl.

#15 · (Edited)
Haha, you guys are fun.

Well one question might be, which toys you recommend for the chewing stage to strew about the place. I have this really cool nylabone quite large and shaped like a figure 8 that both her and her GSD pal take turns with or play tug of war with. I thought I would buy a couple more for outdoors and indoors. I have string braids, some fuzzy animal for dog to chew toys, a deer antler from pet store and also some soft and hard rubber toys they play tug of war with but found pieces of a particular one that they both ingested a little (totaly fluke only happened one time, why that toy and no others??).

But what do you think would be esp satisfying but safe to not break teeth for the second stage setting of the teeth teething stage? I really don’t want her to chip or break her teeth. My GSD is a magnificent specimen of the old German lines (analyzed as such by local GSD club guru who at first scoffed that there are even any around anymore; he said people think they have them but they really don’t.. until he looked and saw her pedigree and said she is the closest thing to it). She had such a high drive she would just want to pick up and carry anything she could get her mouth on no matter how many soft toys I left all over the place. She came to me as a 3 year old. She has her teeth but lost the ends on all four canines and her lower front teeth are way worn and tops not much better. The GSD club guy said this is very typical for the working line GSDs, and be happy she didn’t chew on her crate like some of them do. Her breeder said be happy she doesn't chew on rocks! I fantasized for awhile about going to the canine dentist who repairs teeth for the police dogs in the area but sheeze that is expensive. They make them in a white material now too so you don’t have to have obvious metal teeth.

I don’t want that happening to the Dobe tho I noticed she very slightly chipped both the longer sharper front teeth nearest to the canines. She got a hold of a couple things before I could take them away like old cans she found around the yard that I didn’t even know were there.

I think I will get them some dog safe beef bones at the small local pet store too, tho I don’t like the way it makes them aggressive among themselves from what I remember when my friend would give them to my last Dobe and his pals.

Pix coming, I really need to take some!!

Another fun thread I wanted to start was secret commands so only you can control your Doberman. I guess the go to language would be German which is secret for most Americans unless they studied German, but my girl is Russian lines and something else I think Czech I have to look again. But maybe German is fine lol. I like the idea of having secret commands. My friend who got me into horses way back when used Arabic for her Arabian horse so no one would be able to command the horse but her.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't really have any recommendations about chew toys, except I don't like the prepackaged smoked, flavored bones they sell at typical pet stores. I don't know that they are that safe? But aside from that, they tend to upset my dog's stomach as often as not.

My current guy (not a dobe) is not a chewer and he was already 2 when we got him, but he does like this Y-shaped nylabone

https://www.chewy.com/nylabone-power-chew-wishbone-dog-chew/dp/179494

It's curved so it's easy for him to grab--I don't have to hold it for him as he chews :) Not that HE asks me to, but the lazy dobes used to shove their chews in my face for me to hold for them.

But that particular nylabone sure is lethal when you're barefoot and step on it at night. (I think they all may be actually)

Rawhide is not recommended because it is indigestible. Bully sticks are good, but stinky, expensive and don't last that long for some dogs. I used to like the Himalaya Chews (some kind of compressed cheese) but the last couple I've gotten have crunched up into sharp little chunks fairly quickly--maybe they changed the recipe? Anyway, I don't think I'll get any more.

If you have two dogs, I would make sure that any high value treat or toy is given to them separately or under your strict supervision. As you mention, they can and will fight over them, and can develop a troublesome resource guarding habit that can be difficult to train out of.

If either is possessive of any toy, chew or food around you, that's something to extinguish. I *think* I've seen this book as recommended reading for that problem?
Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs – April 6, 2002
by Jean Donaldson
though I've not had a resource guarding problem so I haven't read it.

Edited to add...NO rope or string toys for random chewing. They're OK for you to play tug with, but if a dog actually uses them as a true chew toy, he can detach and swallow strands of rope. Those can get tangled up with a dog's intestines and make a really serious blockage (even worse than the usual blockage, which is bad enough) which may require removing part of the intestine because of lack of blood flow to the strangulated part of the intestine. A blockage of this kind is often lethal.

#17 ·
Ok thankyou melbrod that looks like a good one (pictured). That’s a good point about the resource guarding, the only time it seems to maybe be an issue is indoors on the couch, outside they are fine mainly because the GSD loves to play tug of war. And chase me for the chewy or toy, much to her amusement and not much anyone else’s— it’s a game where she always wins so the other dogs aways get bored. But indoors on the couch I could see some power stuggles. I’ve had to tell them to deescalate. Anyway thanks

On the secret commands maybe I could look into Dothroki (Game of Thrones) :lol:

#18 · (Edited)
Oh, and I've seen this recommended with kids too...if you have lots of toys, it is a good idea to rotate them rather than having all of them available at once. They'll get more play action that way because they are different and don't seem like just the same old thing to them. You'll need enough left out for each dog to have one, I suppose, and maybe a couple of different kinds of toy (chew and bouncy, for example), but if you put some away for a bit and then bring them out again, they'll probably be less bored with them.

If your dogs are like mine (and my kids too) though, there can be two identical toys out and only one of them will be the "good" one that they both want. How they decide which toy is wonderful and which is untouchable I do not know.

I remember my kids having two identical plastic airplanes, only one was white with red wings and the other was red with white wings. One day they would squabble over one of the planes--the 2nd just wasn't "right"--but the next day it was just as likely to be the other they both wanted. Go figure.

Not that that has ever stopped me from buying new toys anyway...I think I like the variety as much as the dogs do. :)

#19 ·
We may be cross posting at the same time? Anyway, I edited to add this to my previous post so I don't know if you saw it. I thought I'd post it again because I think it is important...but you may have already read it. This is just a repeat of what I added above, so you don't need to read it twice :wink2:

Edited to add...NO rope or string toys for random chewing. They're OK for you to play tug with, but if a dog actually uses them as a true chew toy, he can detach and swallow strands of rope. Those can get tangled up with a dog's intestines and make a really serious blockage (even worse than the usual blockage, which is bad enough) which may require removing part of the intestine because of lack of blood flow to the strangulated part of the intestine. A blockage of this kind is often lethal.

#20 ·
We use a traditional Kong.....stuff it with treats and freeze it.......it keeps them busy for quite some time. Safer for the teeth. I place daily kibble in ice trays ......add water.....let the kibble absorb the water...then place the ice tray in the freezer.
Later....stuff these cubes .....what I call kibbie cubes .....into the Kong...wa-la.."Treats and your staying within daily kibble as to not upset the bellies.
Yeah....obstructions are a big deal......you gotta watch them like a hawk...you now have a baby in your home anything you can do in the name of prevention will be of great benefit.Its amazing how many dogs go in for one procedure yet other things are found in their stomachs...many times the owners have no idea where the object came from......so be very careful during your pups stage of habit development.....so hard to undo behaviors.Good to hear from you.....

#21 · (Edited)

6.5 years ago, puppy Kelly came home & she was a dominate Alpha FM / sons little Trevor was also a Alpha boy (now 13 y/o)...for a year, she wanted to kill him (like a bunny rabbit or cat, in the house).
- 100% supervision fixed the problem, without crate & rotate / now best friends, and sleep together

But at 5 months old, this pup could stay alone unsupervised, and not destroy a thing.
- in fact, our previous girl Amy was also perfect "home alone" at 4.5 months young

Maybe its the way we supervise, discipline with voice tone, but we didn't even have a crate setup.
- our pups sleep beside Dad, with my arm on them...they will stay put, because that is one of the rules
- pup gets 5 minutes of play on the bed, and than its nap time
- I'll even rub a dogs belly, if it helps the routine...for 20 minutes, if needed
- everything is about building a Bond & Trust // and obeying House rules, showing manners
- I expect to share our lives, with a dog that becomes adjusted to many spoils
- so eating a pillow, or chewing the oak coffee table leg...will never EXIST here

I try to train with Fun, why I teach a pup to debark a stick & spit out the bark...the foundation.
- soft toys are to carry or mouth only
- hard toys are to try and destroy
- dads socks & moms shoes are for teasing us / nothing more
- every toy is named and has rules of conduct...even the leather sectional, is never disrespected, and becomes the dogs expensive day bed
- had Dobe girl pups since 1977, never found one that liked their crate or baby gate
- so we have a non-baby proofed house, but puppy will always be within my field of vision

^^ ONLY the first 2 months, is the hard work...because our expectations, are fully shared & bad habits always FIXED (after first occurrence ASAP).
- even our current Kelly has hand-me-down toys, from our former girl (many toys here
are 10-15 years old)

Let me start off by saying, so thrilling to see Ace in the family of his dreams.

Chesa - Let me possibly share a "sock paradigm shift", with you.

Having owned 3 dober girls, I have come to realize their common nature...to be treated humanized.
- bringing them much joy and fulfillment
- its the power of their unique Smarts, that is fun to expand boundaries on

So current Kelly has been helping Mom, unload the clothes dryer...since 10 weeks old.
- she would pick out a clean pair of undies or socks...and walk to the master bedroom, with her Momma
- Dad taught her to debark sticks outside, and spit out foreign matter
- so around here, stuffies last for years (because all toys have names & rules of conduct)
- no risk of blockage or obstruction surgery either
- hard toys can be treated rough / soft toys are treated, with more respect
- and slippers, our shoes & dads socks...OK to mouth & carry for fun, but no wrecking them
- this added level of responsibility @ a very young puppy age, has payed off in big dividends
- they know Human stuff, is OK to borrow...but never hurt it
- our girls quickly figure out that they have few rules here / the leather section, is even their nappy bed (during daytime)

The more Rules we broke (since 1977), the easier it got...in sharing our Life together.

For Example, when Beau came out of the shower (few days ago) / Kelly stole one of my clean socks...I just laugh, and grabbed another pair // while making an exciting time over her controlled mischief.
- after yesterdays shower, Dad is sitting on the edge of the bed (starting to get dressed)...Kelly brings Dad, yesterdays sock (she hid earlier, some where) back. :grin2:
- its her game, as she plays with her care givers

Baby Bunny & Dads Sock...

And Moms Shoe...all Adult personal stuff, treated with the Doberman Love.
- and a nice reminder, of the Family affection & the "big Tease" they become (to welcome our attention)

Debarking & learning to not swallow the foreign crap...was trained young.
- even a rare squeaker found out of a toy, are safe here...Dog will spit it out & leave it on the floor

#22 · (Edited)
Sheeze Beaumont67 you must be the Doberwhisperer, I think having them since ‘77 you must now just practically control them with your mind! I mean you must just “get them” so automatically and innately that you know how to condition them to your expectations in a way they can comprehend and follow through on. Cute pix to illustrate thankyou!!

Sorry all, I kept trying to reply and realizing I had been timed out again and then hard to get back in every time. This time I stayed logged in so I must have programmed my iPad to keep me logged in finally. I’m feeling pretty un-tech-savvy in this system! It could be working from an IPad tho, sometimes it’s weird how tablet and smart phone access to websites will bugger up stuff a laptop won’t. Even I put in the proper user name and passcode on my iPhone and it keeps shutting me out whereas here it works. Go figure!!

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions I am taking it all in!

Well my monster slowly turning into a lady is mostly improving and calming down incrementally, she is definitely quite intelligent and has a conscience which is a new thing I discovered just this week lol lol. It’s like her baby brain seemed to change in the space of one week from oblivious and totally self-absorbed rushing around doing what she wanted to starting to really observe and respond more appropriately. She is now a little over 7 months, so maybe that marks some kind of shift, at least for her individually.

Today she stole a shoe (I bought cheap ones at drugstore just to go in and out the yard in case I make the fatal mistake of leaving any of my good shoes on the porch while she is out again), and I took it from her with all the stern voice and body language etc. She looked sheepish and immediately picked up a new safe chew toy I bought her yesterday and gnoshed on that.. so I was able to praise her, so she is getting it.

And we had our first true dober-glorious snuggle last night— I have to crate her at bedtime mostly for now because I had woken up to her destroying a cushion on my bed the last time I let her sleep with me, but I just happened to fall asleep before I could crate her this time. Oh all the ways she was draped over me, you know how they are, warm soft Dober-pretzels! Hadn’t had a dog cuddle like that since my last Dobe died. My giant black GSD is sort of sweet to cuddle with in the beginning but she gets restless and it is like trying to nap with a hyper kid. But they are world class champion snugglers, the dober-tribe, aren’t they?

I am going to attempt to post a pic of Layla for you let’s see if anti-tech-nerd can pull it off

It’s at least a month old, I need to take new ones.. Excuse the mess

#25 ·
Sheeze Beaumont67 you must be the Doberwhisperer, I think having them since ‘77 you must now just practically control them with your mind! I mean you must just “get them” so automatically and innately that you know how to condition them to your expectations in a way they can comprehend and follow through on. Cute pix to illustrate thankyou!!

Beau is a dog whisper ..........I have only known him through this forum but he is a wonderful man ........and plays a really crappy game of ping pong and billiards. Also terrible at salesmanship ...............overall quite shy actually. There’s just something special about him .......:|

#23 ·
Ok darn didn’t figure out how to share it yet on the iPad, my laptop is RIP at the moment. I guess there is a way to do with through ICloud but ICloud creeps me out. BTW you guys is there a DT app? I don’t think so just thought I would ask, would probably be more user-friendly for people with dead laptops.

#24 · (Edited)
I have an Apple IPad Pro...........
Look down below as you are ......completing a “quick reply” back to me upon review of this post......see the thingy that reads...manage attachments.........hit that icon.......hit choose file..........choose the option of elect photo library...........now you can pick something out of your photo’s ......once you have picked the PIC so to speak >:)......look towards the right for the option to upload........then wait........it will let you know when its attached......when down close window ......and send ....

(U——hummm...........sideways.........these things happen ......normally these things are blamed on the moderators.
LOL

#26 ·
I know the feeling.. mine is 9 month old now but his terrible stealing and chewing issues started around 6-7 month old. I try and keep chewing bones around to satisfy his chewing. We let him run out his energy multiple times a day, but 5 min alone and this is what he does. He chewed up 3 remote so far..and a couch and multiple shoes and flip flops [emoji15]
It’s seems to be getting better but we aren’t out of the woods yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 · (Edited)
Ugh so she is out playing in the front yard with the GSD and I am watching, she is behind a big tree chewing a loop in the garden hose. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So you guys when does the second stage of chewing seem to taper off? I know I will have to watch her probably always and forever but someone mentioned a second stage of teething when the teeth are setting, that can be worse than even the first stage. She is little over 7 months now... Well there goes another expensive item, a very long hose, not cheap.

Good to know about Beau, :). OK I will try that with the pic. I did try manage attachements maybe because my speed gets so throttled by Verizon on my supposedly unlimited data, it was going so slow I thought it didn’t work

#31 ·
Ugh so she is out playing in the front yard with the GSD and I am watching, she is behind a big tree chewing a loop in the garden hose. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So you guys when does the second stage of chewing seem to taper off? I know I will have to watch her probably always and forever but someone mentioned a second stage of teething when the teeth are setting, that can be worse than even the first stage. She is little over 7 months now... We’ll there goes another expensive item, a very long hose, not cheap.

Good to know about Beau, :). OK I will try that with the pic. I did try manage attachements maybe because my speed gets so throttled by Verizon on my supposedly unlimited data, it was going so slow I thought it didn’t work
She's too young to trust unsupervised (as in, you need to be out in the yard with her). :) I would really, really recommend you give her until at least a year old....

#30 · (Edited)
Oh wow I just saw more posts on the thread, got to page two, reading now..

Aw I love Amy... thankyou for sharing Beau! You really are a Dobe wizard! Very inspiring <3 You may have got off to a good start with a trainer who guided you but obviously you are a natural and a trainer yourself.

Will you pick my next Dobe lol? Another Amy? No you would probably want to keep Amy 3 if you found her.
I truly enjoyed your wonderful posts. I will look next at the training video. Yeah I probably need to find a good obedience class. Anyone know of anyone good in S Oregon?

I will stay the course with this monster, her sweet snuggly side is wonderful and I’m sure at least some of these trials and tribulations will pass once she is more mature.. but eventually when my GSD Onyx passes I will likely get another Dobe. Or maybe another GSD, dunno. They both have their amazing points. But the GSDs shed brutally for keeping a clean house, when she blows her coat twice a year it is not pretty. And I am an artist and literally there will be her long hairs on everything I own forget about painting without hairs getting in the paint, I’m serious, it migrates all over the house no matter how much I vacuume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.