Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Looking for All Natural Doberman Puppy
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 AM
falnfenix
ಠ_ಠ

Dogs Name: Ripley; R.I.P. Deckard
Titles: WAC
Dogs Age: DOB 7/8/13
Gallery Pics: 0
Visit falnfenix's Gallery
Thanked 13,707 Times in 4,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bike ped View Post
Please keep us updated! There is nothing wrong with "Natural ears and tails".

Yet, in the US, Folks who breed with the intention of improving the Doberman breed (health wise), send pups to their new home with cropped ears and docked tails. It is just the way it is....

John
Portland OR
Just for informational purposes...this has quite a bit to do with breeding to the Standard. In addition to temperament, the DPCA/UDC Standard specifies how the dog should look, and this includes ears and tail.

Taken directly from the DPCA Standard as published (can also be found on the AKC website):
Ears normally cropped and carried erect. (This means ears cropped in the normal fashion, not "usually cropped".)
Tail docked at approximately second joint, appears to be a continuation of the spine, and is carried only slightly above the horizontal when the dog is alert. (This allows no wiggle room, and good luck finding a well bred show dog with a natural tail actually winning in the ring. Judges will find fault here.)

SianP, I agree with the others - you will not find a well bred show line dog in the US with ears and tail. Look to Canada, look to importing from home if need be, and absolutely look at rescues near you. Good luck.

I am the sea witch. I am the tide you fear and the turning you can't deny. I am the sound of the waves running over your bones on the beach, little man, and I am not amused at finding you on my doorstep.
- the Luidaeg, Chimes at Midnight

DPCA Chapter Club: http://www.mbdpc.net/
Regional rescue: http://www.dobe.net/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to falnfenix For This Useful Post:
4x4bike ped (05-21-2019), Brandy&Melanie (06-03-2019), Cressrb (06-04-2019), Fitzmar Dobermans (05-22-2019), greenkouki (05-21-2019), LadyDi (05-21-2019), melbrod (05-21-2019), triciakoontz (05-22-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome